Michelin Pilot Road 4's | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Michelin Pilot Road 4's

I just put a pair of the RS II on my 1000 in the quest for a bit more mileage. Coming from Q3/Q2's over the past few years I didn't want to give up much grip but was willing to sacrifice a bit for mileage. I'm mostly a fair-weather rider but get stuck in the rain on occasion. Q3's aren't good in the rain in corners (I should point out they were just fine in straight line with no hydroplaning in downpours at highway speed).
I get about 12,000km on a set of Q3 which is quite good actually but do a total of ~20,000 per year.

So far I've got about 1,000km on the RS II and so far like them. I got stuck in the rain last week and they were excellent. Much better then the Q3. I haven't pushed them too hard yet in the dry to test the grip but will comment on that after I do.

Any updates in terms of the longevity of the Pilot Road 4's?

I wore out my Metzler Tourance rear in 16000km -- down to the wear bars and was a bit nervous about that last 1000km coming home. That is the same distance that I changed my stock Dunlop rear, but the Dunlop had more life left in it when I changed it.

My Shinko 705 front now has about 10000km on it and 1300km of that was gravel, and it is showing very little wear but I don't like the ride of the Shinkos much. It took a lot of weight to balance them, but even then (probably because of the semi-knobbies) there is a lot of extra vibration that I didn't have with the stock Dunlops and/or Tourance. My rear 705 has only about 2000km on it with very little noticeable wear, but I also don't like the ride of it much.

Definitely leaning towards the PR4s, but hesitant to spend over $400 on a set of tires unless they last a long time. These Shinkos were $150 for the set!

I'm on Conti Trail Attack2 tires, and have about 18k on them

The front is wearing unevenly and tip in is nowhere near what it was when new. Definitely time to retire them.
500c64b22d85e3ce31bc52040581fb93.jpg

The rear is squared off and close to the bars.
b8361d44f771348f40ce1f2827a80370.jpg

I was looking for something more aggressive, such as the Conti Escape or Heidenau K60 Scout, but they don't come in my size, 120 17 and 160 or 170 17. I may end up going with PR4 or the Trail attack2 again.

Two sets of Conti tires, the Motion and the Trail Attack2 have been brilliant for cornering wet and dry, loaded for touring or out for a rip.

I was hoping to get more from the set, say 20k, but they're toast.

I've put 3000 more km on them since and still going strong, I've noticed some wear but no squaring, still lots of life left in them.

I'm on Conti Trail Attack2 tires, and have about 18k on them

The front is wearing unevenly and tip in is nowhere near what it was when new. Definitely time to retire them.
500c64b22d85e3ce31bc52040581fb93.jpg

The rear is squared off and close to the bars.
b8361d44f771348f40ce1f2827a80370.jpg

I was looking for something more aggressive, such as the Conti Escape or Heidenau K60 Scout, but they don't come in my size, 120 17 and 160 or 170 17. I may end up going with PR4 or the Trail attack2 again.

Two sets of Conti tires, the Motion and the Trail Attack2 have been brilliant for cornering wet and dry, loaded for touring or out for a rip.

I was hoping to get more from the set, say 20k, but they're toast.

I ran Conti Road Attack 2's on my previous bike, decent tires but they scared the hell out of me - one day they were fine, the next they were bald.

This is the trip I just finished Sept 13/ 2014 on the PR 4's
I have over 8,000 Miles on them or 12,875 Km

121bq7r.jpg

Rear Tire

2vk0nqv.jpg

Front Tire

24oymw3.jpg

From pictures it is hard to get a sense of depth. How much left do you suspect they have?

This is the trip I just finished Sept 13/ 2014 on the PR 4's
I have over 8,000 Miles on them or 12,875 Km

121bq7r.jpg

Rear Tire

2vk0nqv.jpg

Front Tire

24oymw3.jpg

It's always a tough question for sporty / touring riding.

I put a set of Pirelli Rosso II's on my K13S which were exceptional, but of course mileage sux. I probably wont get 5000 kms on them.

I'm considering the PR4 or the Angel ST but I'm always worried about giving up to much grip just to get more mileage. And of course I don't want to find out the hard way......

I was hoping to get more from the set, say 20k, but they're toast.[/QUOTE]

I was running an Avon Distanzia up front and a Heidenau K60 150 70 17 in back of my 2007 Versys. I replaced the Distanzia at about 22000 km (heavily scalloped, but just to the wear bars at that point) and the K60 was still on the bike when I sold it. It was completely square, but had well over 35000 km on it (insane). I found that to be a great set up for gravel, and the 150 worked fine on the V. I'm running PR4s on my current 2008 Versys. They are definitely not gravel tires, but I have no complaints about traction (road) or longevity so far. I'm at about 8000km on them with only minor wear.

As far as wear goes I would say approx half worn. As for hold on the road and twistys - they are a great tire. Also handle nice in the wet.
I want to see how far I can get on them as I usually go through 2 to 3 sets of tires in a season with some other brands. Yes it is hard to
tell from pics but so far am very pleased. This trip was only 14 days with all kinds of roads - not just Hwy.

As far as wear goes I would say approx half worn. As for hold on the road and twistys - they are a great tire. Also handle nice in the wet.
I want to see how far I can get on them as I usually go through 2 to 3 sets of tires in a season with some other brands. Yes it is hard to
tell from pics but so far am very pleased. This trip was only 14 days with all kinds of roads - not just Hwy.

Mine have 5/32 left on the front, and 6/32 left on the rear at 8000 km. Can't find the info on the original tread depth, but wouldn't think it would be much more than about 8/32. No squaring that I can see without looking pretty closely.

I just replaced my Pilot Road 4's on the K1300S inline-4 after 21200km, the best I've ever had out of a set of tires. They weren't even the "GT" longer-life version meant for heavier bikes.

I was probably down to about 1mm of tread left down the centre line on the tires when I replaced them. Maybe pushed them a bit longer than I should have, but they still had plenty of tread left (like, 3-5mm deep) off the centre line.

It's always a tough question for sporty / touring riding.

I put a set of Pirelli Rosso II's on my K13S which were exceptional, but of course mileage sux. I probably wont get 5000 kms on them.

I'm considering the PR4 or the Angel ST but I'm always worried about giving up to much grip just to get more mileage. And of course I don't want to find out the hard way......

Go with the Angels, great price & performance. You won't regret it.

I ride a sport bike, yet to lose traction on them

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Anyone tried the Pirelli scorpion trails for a 90:10 tire (highway/off road)? thinking of getting a set but need to know how they are in the wet on highways for a heavier adventure bike.

The PR4s tend to wander on the gravel, but I'm happy with them.
The 120 front is the culprit as it rolls side to side a bit.

The asphalt ramping is limited only by my ability. :)

Anyone tried the Pirelli scorpion trails for a 90:10 tire (highway/off road)? thinking of getting a set but need to know how they are in the wet on highways for a heavier adventure bike.

These are the stock tires of the CB500X and they don't seem to get great reviews on that bike's forum site. Read some of this:

http://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,478.0.html

http://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,325.0.html

http://www.cb500x.com/index.php/board,17.0.html

I have the tires and they work fine for me, but I'm not a very aggressive rider that tries not to ride in the rain very often.

I had my first serious ride in the wet on my PR4s.

Brilliant. Straight line acceleration made me feel like the roads were dry.

Hard braking on the front gave me a bit of feedback but no slip.

If they last out the 20k I'm hoping for, I'll be a very happy camper.

I had my first serious ride in the wet on my PR4s.

Brilliant. Straight line acceleration made me feel like the roads were dry.

Hard braking on the front gave me a bit of feedback but no slip.

If they last out the 20k I'm hoping for, I'll be a very happy camper.

The wet performance really is something else isn't it? And I used to dread riding in the rain

Wicked good in straight line acceleration! I was hard on the throttle and no rear spin up at all!

I did near overshoot a turn and braked pretty hard with the front, and that was where I got a bit of uncertain feedback, but I had a heavy hand. Cornering was superb.

Now if they made the adventure tires with the gt hard centre, I'd be in business.

Just to bump this thread, how many kms on the PR4s now?

I still have a lot of life left in my 705s, but next season I will be going to the PR4s at some point.

Back
Top Bottom