Michelin Pilot Road 4's | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Michelin Pilot Road 4's

I just got a set of 4's and will be on bike for my big trip near the end of August - Are a bit pricey - but will have to see if worth it. They say these tires are for the heavier bikes and loaded down. I have an FJR & this trip will be at least 15,000 k & done over 16 or 17 days. I will update this when the trip is done. (I will post the trip in cruiser section also) The reason I got these ones is I do 1000 miles days which can wear down the tires fast. With the harder compound in the middle I hope to see some improvements over the other tires. A normal riding year is usually 2 to 3 sets of tires. ( A rough idea how this trip is going to happen ) First day is 1000 miles and then 800 k next to Colorado. Then Mount Evans - Pikes Peak - through Aspen to Grand Junction - National Monument - Arches in Utah - Bryson Canyon - Zion - Grand Canyon - Then out to San Diego.
1 day off bikes to do Oil and laundry and rest up. From San Diego to Jacksonville Florida in under 50 hours. Head up to Dragon area and hit a few roads I haven't gotten on yet. Then will head home. ( This should be the ultimate test to see how good they hold up. )

I got ~28,000 out of a set of PR2's. They were pretty squared off but not yet at the wear bars when I got a puncture in the rear tire. Replaced with PR3's that now have ~8,000 kms and still look almost new. 2006 SV650S (so a fairly light bike), me + carry-on is usually under 200 lbs, and a lot of easy slab riding commuting Brampton <-> Markham during rush hour. I check tire PSI about once a week and run 36 front and 38 rear. I actually preferred the feel of the PR2's over the PR3's. The PR3 front has a lot of extra grooves (sipes?) that help with the wet traction, but it seems to cause the tire to squirm more in the dry through the twisties, which is a bit unsettling, but it's never broken loose. I'm generally pretty happy with them though, and I would buy again. I'm sure I'll stick with the Pilot Road series when this set wears out since, even though they're a bit pricier to purchase, they last so much longer than previous tires I've tried.

6000k on my Road 4's on an L2 GSXR 750. Very slight squaring off. Very good in the rain. Very good on dry roads too, although I don't drag my knees that much ;-). Happy so far. So much better than the OEM rubber it's not even funny!
Running 36 front/40 rear. I would drop 5+ on both for the track.

Last edited:
a3a4ager.jpg

6000 km. Pilot power 3 rear. That's the wear bar. Am I going to give up grip for something like the pr4 so I can get longevity?

6000 km. Pilot power 3 rear. That's the wear bar. Am I going to give up grip for something like the pr4 so I can get longevity?
Your off-center tread still looks pretty deep, so I assume you don't track, or push too hard. I doubt you'll notice any difference going to a PR4, other than the increase in longevity. Besides, they won't last forever, so if you don't like them they'll need replacing at some point.

Last edited:
no way?!! 35K on 1 set??!!!
:shock: :shock:

True story.

On top of the milage, I also got rear-ended twice on these tires.. There is also a T-patch on the rear, installed in Denver.
They are still going =)

What bike? I usually ride with at least a top case and my bike is around 540 wet

The cases are the worst thing for longevity as it not only adds to overall weight, but pushes the COG towards the rear tire as well.

The asphalt in Ontario is the "black" kind, thanks to the freezing winters here. We have a ton of traction on these asphalts on dry compared to the "grey" asphalt in some parts of the Europe. I would rather take the PR3s on the roads here vs the sticky tires in roads in Europe.

How do these tires perform at a knee dragging pace? Do they hold firmly throughout the corner? Quick warm up time?

Would be nice to find a set of tires that last long, as all the twisties in Ontario are 100s of kms away from the GTA.
I was running metzeler m5's before and I think the pr4's are about just as good in the twisties. The m5's were great but they squared off so fast it wasn't funny.

Just got the tire and logged some miles in Muskoka... I didn't get near as low in the corners because I dropped backed to a 180 from a 190. I felt like I was diving into each corner... Overall the tires are good and it would have allowed me to push harder though.

I've been on my PR4's for just over 4000km and see no noticeable signs of wear.

Would anyone recommend these on a cbr 600? I am using the bike as a Daily commuter, and a few jaunts up to the cottage twisties....

I would... Had the pilots before and I didn't notice much of a difference in the corners (other than diving in). They held up well and with the mileage you can put on them, that's a huge bonus.

Pirelli Angel GT is suppose to be the new boss in town as far as ST tires. Think ill try them next.
http://www.motorcycle.com/products/pirelli-angel-gt-review-91564.html
I was never fan of the pr3's found them squirmy when pushed hard, have heard similar from the pr4's.
Ran 2 sets of the pr2s and liked them.
So far to date my favorite by far has to be the Dunlop RoadSmart 2's, fantastic tire......

What do you ride and what kind of mileage did you get out of the RoadSmarts?

500lbs+ 1250 Bandit, not sure on milage as I don't keep track but I put them on end of 2012 and they have 2 gap trips, 4 penn trips 1 wv trip and local riding on them.
And I ride the piss out of this bike, there pretty much due for a replacement soon.
I've had my fairing worn thru on the ground and never felt like I was short on traction.
I wouldn't say they are as good in the rain at the pr series but honesty I've haven't had an issue even in the heaviest rains, but I ride acordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had a set of PR3's on the bike last year, just replaced them last month they were starting to cup/scallop both front and rear. No idea of actual mileage as i don't really keep track 25,000kms? but there was still lots of tread left.
Happy enough with the performance, i bought another set of PR3's, too early to tell how much better the PR4's will be.

I've got a set of PR3's on my 2009 GSX-R600 which have about 7,000km on them. The rear has shown the slightest amount of flattening but it's debatable whether it's got a flat spot at all. Absolutely mint in the rain - lots of confidence on the rough roads on Manitoulin Island and around Southern Ontario. If I wear these out, I'll buy another set, but, a sport touring bike may come before then.

For those on the fence about it being too hard, I don't sweat it, as I don't push the bike hard enough to notice a difference between them and the old Michelin Pilot 2CTs.

I received a set of RS II from Pete this afternoon. They'll be installed tomorrow morning.
I got 6400KM out of Metzler Z8 on K1600GT. I'd be interested to see how long the RS II will last.

Came back from PA ride. Rode in rain and shine. I am very pleased with the performance of RS II. Excellent grip in the corners. Excellent performance in heavy rain. Great feed back. No hesitation of tossing the 800 lb bike in the corners.

I defiantly recommend RS II for heavy sport touring bikes.

So far I have 1500 KM on the tires. I will report back how many milage I'll great from the rear tire.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom