Michelin Pilot Road 4's | GTAMotorcycle.com

Michelin Pilot Road 4's

brownelvis

I can't recommend these tires enough. I've done about 7000km on them so far, a little over 1000km in heavy rain and about 1000km in the twisties in PA. The tires are pretty much still mint without the usual flattening in the centre from heavy slabbing.

They have tons of traction in the twisties and in the rain they stay sticky, haven't locked up or slid on me once while braking hard or leaned over. Massive improvement over the PR2's in terms of handling in corners and in the wet.

Bottom line, even though they're a little pricy, the PR4's are the best sport touring tires I've driven on to date.

Nice to know. I'd like to know what kind of total mileage you get out of the set.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the review and making me aware of this tire - I might have to try it next time.

I'm on a Metzler tourance now, and 8k in it is flattening on the top due to slabbing with cases/luggage. After my upcoming Labrador run I won't be doing much gravel or any offroad, so maybe I'll give a more street orientated tire a go.

As Ronnie said, be sure to update this thread with your review once the tire is done.

Nice to know. I'd like to know what kind of total mileage you get out of the set.

Thanks for sharing.

My buddy got 30k out of a set of PR3's, and 4's are supposed to last longer. Pretty sweet tires.

I'm on pilot power 3s and I ride a lot. Anyone have any idea how these would compare?

I'm sticking with the PR3s, since PR4s are designed to increase the longevity, while slightly decreasing the amount of soft compound to the sides of the tire - which is the opposite of what I'm interested in. So, they are not really an upgrade from PR3s, IMO.

[video=youtube;gGD6HLdNcW4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGD6HLdNcW4[/video]

My buddy got 30k out of a set of PR3's, and 4's are supposed to last longer. Pretty sweet tires.
I'm currently at ~35k on PR3s, and still going :)

I'm sticking with the PR3s, since PR4s are designed to increase the longevity, while slightly decreasing the amount of soft compound to the sides of the tire - which is the opposite of what I'm interested in. So, they are not really an upgrade from PR3s, IMO.

I'm currently at ~35k on PR3s, and still going :)

I've ridden several sets of PR3s and I'm now have about 6000 KMs on a set of PR4s. While the compound is harder on the 4s, there is less tread on the sides of the tires giving them more tire on the road when leaned over. It's amazing that you don't lose grip with the PR4. I have found that the feel better running them with a bit lower pressure than the PR3.

I don't know how you guys get so much use out of a set of tires. The best I ever got out of a set of PR3s is about 9000KM but I prefer to change them as soon as they get to the wear bars.

Here's a photo of the rear PR4 after about 2500 KMs of combined twisties and highway.

GetAttachment.aspx

Got about 14000km on my pr3 now. I'll have pr4's on in about 3000km. Can't wait to try them

]I'm currently at ~35k on PR3s, and still going :)

How does one ride to be able to manage that kind of mileage? Is it through really gentle riding? I just can't seem to understand how this is even remotely possible.

I just found out that they make these tires for my bike, so I am going to try these out next - either the PR4's or the PR3's. I'm usually getting closer to 15k out of tires with compounds that I would assume are much harder (Anakee 3's or original Tourance) - and I ride them until well past wear bars.

How does one ride to be able to manage that kind of mileage? Is it through really gentle riding? I just can't seem to understand how this is even remotely possible.

I just found out that they make these tires for my bike, so I am going to try these out next - either the PR4's or the PR3's. I'm usually getting closer to 15k out of tires with compounds that I would assume are much harder (Anakee 3's or original Tourance) - and I ride them until well past wear bars.
My buddy rides really aggressive, I think it is down to keeping an eye on your psi and also the weight of the bike.

My buddy rides really aggressive, I think it is down to keeping an eye on your psi and also the weight of the bike.
Of course - I totally forgot about that - doh! I'm usually riding with full luggage and so my bike is somewhere around 600lbs without me even on it. I do keep my psi pretty good and rated to the load.

Of course - I totally forgot about that - doh! I'm usually riding with full luggage and so my bike is somewhere around 600lbs without me even on it. I do keep my psi pretty good and rated to the load.
What bike? I usually ride with at least a top case and my bike is around 540 wet

I think he rides a Bandit. Anyhow, it's also torque and suspension. Width of the rim. Many other factors that affect wear.

Nevertheless, from my understanding, PRs are the longest lasting tires of them all. So no matter what you get out of them, it's pretty much the most you can get period.

Close... I'm on V-Strom 650, but I carry a bunch of extra weight on there including steel skidplate, crash bars, center stand, Givi racks, extra heavy Corbin seat and more... As a stock bike, it is 490lbs wet, so now that I think of it more, I might be closer to 650. And regarding torque - I usually ride very heavy on the throttle from all stops and red lights. I'm curious to try a set of these to see how they feel and last. The Michelin Anakee 3's I'm using have a very hard sidewall and are a very well-planted, sticky tire in the corners. I'm curious as to what the soft sidewall and more sticky feels like on the road.

How do these tires perform at a knee dragging pace? Do they hold firmly throughout the corner? Quick warm up time?

Would be nice to find a set of tires that last long, as all the twisties in Ontario are 100s of kms away from the GTA.

How do these tires perform at a knee dragging pace? Do they hold firmly throughout the corner? Quick warm up time?

Would be nice to find a set of tires that last long, as all the twisties in Ontario are 100s of kms away from the GTA.

This is what I was getting at. Everywhere I go is 100 km from home just to start. Would be nice to get more than 6-10k out of a set of tires.

Close... I'm on V-Strom 650, but I carry a bunch of extra weight on there including steel skidplate, crash bars, center stand, Givi racks, extra heavy Corbin seat and more... As a stock bike, it is 490lbs wet, so now that I think of it more, I might be closer to 650. And regarding torque - I usually ride very heavy on the throttle from all stops and red lights. I'm curious to try a set of these to see how they feel and last. The Michelin Anakee 3's I'm using have a very hard sidewall and are a very well-planted, sticky tire in the corners. I'm curious as to what the soft sidewall and more sticky feels like on the road.

Sounds like we've got a pretty similar setup. What sort of kms have you been getting out of your tires?

I got 16000 out of the stock rear (Dunlop) and it had a bit more life left in it, but was too far gone for places that might have sharp gravel. I also got 23000 out of the stock front, with a bit of life left in it, but not enough for my comfort.

On a Metzler Tourance now, I have 8k, and it is squaring off... mainly due to all of the slabbing I am forced to do. It still has a lot of life left it though -- probably at least another 8k. I put a shinko 705 on the front and don't expect it to last more than 8000 to 10000.

I'm definitely going to give these PR4s a go based on the reviews, if I can squeeze 20k out of them I'll be happy.

Back
Top Bottom