Velocity Sportsgear | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Velocity Sportsgear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen, as a business owner it's sometimes hard to find out large chunks of cash to pay out right away. For example, at the end of July is the worst time to ask for money, HST is due, quarterly payroll remittance is due, WSIB payment is due, accounting (for me) for the previous year is due, insurance renewal (for me any ways) is due etc... At the end month you usually save up to pay rent or pay employees for semi-monthly. Sometimes it's tricky with cash flow. I spend more money at the end of July than I do in any other month because of all the things that are due. If someone asked me for an extra $1500 I'd say come back in August. I don't know Jimmy's story but I do know a lot of things are due at the end of July. Also, in industries like Jimmy's there are a lot of accounts receivable. A lot of times companies don't get money till 30 days or 60 days whatever the terms are. That's why they have large operating lines to sustain them until they get money.

A bit off topic, but like the others have stated, this had been dragged on for 20+ months.

Also, I don't want to get into a debate on how to run a business, the challenges that come with it, cashflow issues, etc. The fact here is that the $1,500 was paid in full by the OP, and there seems to be no end-date in sight for the somewhat "promised" refund. He had 2 Christmas plus quite a few group buys in between, and you can't tell me that he didn't make $1,500 profit during all those months.

I've also had experience in running a business, and when it comes to making things right, whether it's for your employees or customers, you'd go out of your way to borrow from whatever means to make it right, and the financial consequences will be a lesson learned, hopefully. You'd pay your employees & customers before you pay yourself. Your brand is worth a lot more than digits in the company/personal account and the balance sheets.

Back to the OP's situation.... let's keep our fingers crossed for some good news.

Last edited:
next thing you know, they'll blame it on the forever rising gas prices or the US/Canadian exchange rate differences...

just man up and do the right thing, with a date & time for delivery of course

A bit off topic, but like the others have stated, this had been dragged on for 20+ months.

Also, I don't want to get into a debate on how to run a business, the challenges that come with it, cashflow issues, etc. The fact here is that the $1,500 was paid in full by the OP, and there seems to be no end-date in sight for the somewhat "promised" refund. He had 2 Christmas plus quite a few group buys in between, and you can't tell me that he didn't make $1,500 profit during all those months.

I've also had experience in running a business, and when it comes to making things right, whether it's for your employees or customers, you'd go out of your way to borrow from whatever means to make it right, and the financial consequences will be a lesson learned, hopefully. You'd pay your employees & customers before you pay yourself. Your brand is worth a lot more than digits in the company/personal account and the balance sheets.

Back to the OP's situation.... let's keep our fingers crossed for some good news.

Yeah I agree with the 2 years bit. Again, I don't know the full story and I don't want to get into it.

All I was saying was expecting a business to come up with a large sum of cash on the spot is hard and that's what the expectation is of some people here. Businesses aren't magical piggy banks where you can pick out x amount of cash and it's there. It's funny, a lot of people go "oh you have your own business you must be raking it in" but don't realize businesses need to have proper cash flow or they can shut down. Heck, I'm in $1.1 million debt as of September this year with 7 years to pay off. Last winter my landlord found out that they over charged me for TMI on my rent for the previous years by $18k and he said "this winter is the bad for us, I can't cut you a $18k cheque, is it okay if we give you the credit over next 4 months' rent?"

Again, I'm not getting involved in the money being owed to matt bit. All I'm saying is people need to realistic in expectations. A small business is a small business.

Just wanted to add, I will also not likely buy there again.

I bought about 4~5 pairs of gloves, one leather jacket, 2 pairs of riding pants from Jimmy.

one of the shorty gloves fell apart at one seam 2 months after i bought it (it was sewn too close to the edge) , and was offered the option to wait for Jimmy to send it out and repair it, or bring it to the same place to have it repaired while I waited, which took 15 mins of travel and 15 mins of waiting.... vs don't know how long it takes to get back waiting....
IF it was my business, I would've called ahead and said don't charge the customer I'll pickup the tab as its warranty repair instead of telling the customer well if you bring it in you have to pay for it yourself.

It was a cheap repair, but more the reason why I think it was a stupid way to lose a customer.

I "was" thinking about buying the heated gloves and vest to extend my riding season but I guess I will probably look elsewhere now.

not because of the few bucks I had to spend to repair it, but the fact that now, I think if something was to go wrong with the heated gear I'd be out a lot more than a few bucks.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Quite the read -- Very disappointed to see how it was handled. Reviews usually go one of two ways: The OP is nuts and the vendor chimes it to call him crazy, or, the vendor owns up and publicly settles the 'beef'. This one falls into a third category of piddly winks.

Side note: I bought a $30 XXL one-piece rainsuit from Jimmy a couple years back. It has served me well and has not required any customer service intervention.

OP, I hope you get your scratch back. I lent $1500 to a family member last year and never saw it again. At least the money helped someone who needed it.

under capitalized is the number one problem with small and new businesses. This would be why refunds are taking for ever, vendor has moved to heated gear for Lowes and the money in the business is probably financing the new direction, paying rent and living expenses.
There is no doubt the vendor is a nice guy, I've met him and like him, but it doesn't mean he knows how to run a business. This thread is a very good example of how not to conduct a business.
Lord I hope nobody that has any connection to buyers at Lowes or Home depot or CTC is reading this.........

Here's my experience,

I was in the market for a custom suit and had been in contact back and forth with Jimmy by email and phone. We had scheduled a time for me to come and get measured. I was coming from Barrie. He said he would be in the shop from 10am-5pm. I made the commute and arrived around 11am. Nobody was at the shop i stayed in parking lot until noon. I emailed/phoned trying to get a hold of him no response. I was ****** and drove over to Riders Choice and picked up a new Dainese. The next day I finally received email back saying he couldn't make it in, no apology.... and knew I was making the commute.
Very disappointing.

As a business owner.... Dukeing it out in the forums can be disastrous.

Not having $1500 for a customer refund is complete BS. My business isn't huge, but having an emergency fund is a necessity. No rainy day money? Business flooded one day.

Got some super great empty promises though! Figured i'd update this thread when, or if i heard anything from Jimmy Singh...

Still waiting.

Last edited:
Actually I admitted my fault and claim I owe Matt a refund. What I don't owe is YOU an apology.

Like I said the last time we had a discussion about Heroic gloves, I have my group of haters and it's the exact same people every single time. They have not seen any of my products but claim to be experts on them. That's the annoying part.

Im sure that getting the run around for 15+ months is more annoying

But hey just write it off as a "hater"

Its only been 11 days since i brought this up publicly. I dealt with this for 15 months with no resolution. If i owed someone $1500 i could produce it in a matter of hours...

Lol. Sad part is that all the bad P.R. and damage to his brand is worth alot more than $1500.

I want local small business to succeed, rather than a large corporation. If the product is comparable to the high end brands, i'd much rather support a local.
He just needs the CUSTOMER SERVICE to back it up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom