Post accident update | GTAMotorcycle.com

Post accident update

hedo2002

Site Supporter
As some may know I was rear ended on the 401 on 20 Jun by another bike. Didn't know the rider just a coincidence it was a bike.

So to update.

Despite the errors on the Police report the other rider was actually insured. TDMM had told me that SF had no record of him as a client. This meant my deductible was waived as he is 100% at fault. Now this being my first accident in over 20 years I didn't know how to proceed, (regarding what to do with bike and injuries etc).

It took 6 DAYS to finally get ahold of the adjuster who was assigned to my file on the 20th. In the meantime I parked the bike at a friends. I went and saw my doctor on Monday morning, (accident happened on a Friday morning). Doc said injuries included Right elbow and hand, Left shoulder, neck and lower back. All consistent with whiplash and the strain of bike lunging forward when hit. As I said I never went down and managed to keep the bike up.

So I finally talk to adjuster she says, "well you should have taken bike to place you wanted it fixed" Which I had already spoken with dealership. I said well I wanted you to confirm that THAT IS WHY I PAY your company, YOUR supposed to be the professional. I then said I also sustained injuries, (which were not reported on the Friday as the effects hadn't appeared until Saturday). I said this is what Doc told me the injuries are etc. She then says "well you should be getting treated for those injuries" She says they will open a "injury claim and an injury adjuster will be assigned".

I again point out that had she been in contact with me in a TIMELY manner this could have been dealt with on the Monday, it is now Thursday afternoon.

Appraiser goes to see my bike on Friday at the dealership, (they drove from Lindsay to Oshawa and trailered bike for me). He calls me and says Dealership is estimating $6500 damage. How much did I pay for bike I said I paid approx $11,000 last May and bike had 2800 km on it it now has just over 18,000. He says he will have to check value but high likelihood they will be writing bike off. So he checks online can't find any bikes of my year and make for sale in Ontario. I found 4, (3 in California and 1 in Texas, which despite being as 2010 had never left the showroom and was listed at $11,000 USD...lol. Told him I would take that one, He said yeah we're going to fix yours.

It takes another 5 days, (Canada Day fell in between) and two more calls to get an adjuster for my injuries assigned. He was helpful and authorized for the MAX benefit for treatment for "minor injuries", ($2,200. each massage and laser treatment, I alternate treatments is $56). Plus ALL treatments MUST be completed within 3 months. So I have a meeting this coming Friday with a lawyer in regards to them reviewing my options before I sign off on anything. (Lawyer says the $2,20 is the first tier then second tier kicks the max benefit up to $50,000. Both my Doctor and Therapist feel with my job this could be an ongoing treatment case for months if not more than a year, (just to get me back to pre accident condition).

As for my bike I arrived at the dealership and repairs were authorized on 27 Jun. Parts are on back order, so they are "estimating" that parts "may" arrive by the end of this week and I "should" have bike back by Aug long weekend. So my riding season has been screwed royally.

I haven't learned of the other riders injuries, (his foot/ankle was run over by car he was trying to zip around when he hit me). Nor have I been told of what if any charges were laid.

It was rush hour and he thought he saw an "open space" to whip around and gain ONE car length. It didn't work out too well for him. Plus he now has an "at fault" accident to deal with upon renewal

FYI I was starting to accelerate from a standing stop, and was doing approx 30 KM'h when hit. Witnesses told me he was accelerating hard and they estimated he was going approx 80 when he hit me, They said he locked up the brakes when he saw me but just "ran out of real estate". This was in stop and go traffic on the 401. They all commented, how irresponsibly he was riding, (I can't comment as I didn't see him coming, BUT it shows how other perceive the way cagers view riders. One said he couldn't believe it that I stayed up).

I hope that car length he was going to gain was worth me losing my season and having to undergo three times a week therapy.

That sucks. What do you ride?

Sorry to hear about that, really sucks. I'm also curious what bike you are talking about.

From somebody that suffers from back problems, 3 months is a pretty short time....

Sorry to hear about that, really sucks. I'm also curious what bike you are talking about.

From somebody that suffers from back problems, 3 months is a pretty short time....

Agreed. From someone else with a traumatic back injury - 18 months of Physio plus condemned to do Physio routine every time I go to the gym to loosen things up... Don't take the three months at all - you just never know the lasting effects!

Agreed. From someone else with a traumatic back injury - 18 months of Physio plus condemned to do Physio routine every time I go to the gym to loosen things up... Don't take the three months at all - you just never know the lasting effects!

Seconded. I still have back issues from an accident in 2000. Get more than one opinion always.

so the other rider has no insurance?

No he is insured after all with SF they couldn't find him as the rookie, (he was still wet behind the ears from the birth canal)..lol wrote the policy number down wrong, so TDMM ran a plate search which tells them who you are insured with now and who you have been insured with since the vehicle was first insured.

So his insurer SF will end up paying for all my claim pus any other claims, (not sure if the other car hit or was hit by his bike, the one that ran his foot over).

Yes the back "seems" ok now it is more the shoulder and elbow, I used to be able to reach past my spine with the right arm now I can't even reach the side of my back so I have lost about 80% of the range of motion in that arm alone. Plus my job is very physical. So therapist said it could take years but likely I have lost some of the range of motion due to delay in adjusters getting ahold of me. As I told them I wasn't just going to go and start treatment not knowing IF I was even entitled to anything and pay thousands out of pocket.

Seconded. I still have back issues from an accident in 2000. Get more than one opinion always.

+3. Back injuries never go away. You *recover* from them, but they never really leave. Lift or twist the wrong way, even years later, and it's: "Hey! Remember me? Wow, that looks pretty painful!" Get everything you can to treat the problem.

No surprise on the system though. The only cheques the insurance cartels like signing are campaign donations to political parties.

A friend of mine is an adjuster and they are basically trained to be *****. You pretty much gotta stay in their ***** until they get fed up and fold just to get rid of you. Don't be afraid to be obnoxious.

Lawyer up
Call Thomson and rogers ask for charlen Lewis
Tell her mael told you to call (they are one of the top 5 firms for this) there is alot that can be done to help you with injury and bike repair plus a tort claim against the at fault
I'm 2 years in still trying to recover from a rear ender can't work etc
Get every thing you can man not cause your greedy but because you will need it recovery is a long road with lots of pot holes and speed bumps

Yep. As said above. Be a pain in their ass. That snotty broad from td tried that with me to no avail. I called and left her messages twice a day and was less than pleasant to deal with. In the end I got what I wanted and left her boss an unpleasant review of her performance.

Yep. As said above. Be a pain in their ***. That snotty broad from td tried that with me to no avail. I called and left her messages twice a day and was less than pleasant to deal with. In the end I got what I wanted and left her boss an unpleasant review of her performance.

Yeah sounds like a different adjuster this one isn't British. Not a lot of faith in here thought first time I called in late Jun here voice mail message said it was 09 Jun and she was in office this shows a lack of professionalism. This past week I can only get her via email her voice message is again 5 days out of date and here voice mail box is FULL. The dealership actually already hasd the cheque to cover the costs of repairs..lol so she is quick about that.

The email this week was about dentures when I was hit my plate got knocked out fell to shoulder of highway, it is broken (pieces chipped out I figured quick easy fit, (figured they could glue it back then heat to smooth, so I was going to cover that myself, as I am not looking to screw them fro every last penny). Saw denturist this week he says nope new plate, (apparently that cuts into the total injury amount of $3500, ($2200 for therapy and the rest is for stuff like this and for therapist to write reports etc). Plate will be about $1600 which eats into therapy allowance which now drops to $1900.

trust me as an ex copper I learned LONG ago NEVER sign anything an insurance co wants you to sign especially if they are pushing for it to be signed.

I also hired an assistant to help with heavy lifting. They said because I am self employed they want to send in auditors to determine what I am due for "income replacement"..lol I thinks lawyer will look after that. (well for 30% of the cut they will)..lol

Im sorry to hear about your problems. Very unfortunate.

Also unfortunate is the fact that you have to deal with TDMM. I had a car insured with them years ago that got hit by a woman who ran a stop sign. She was 100% at fault and it took MONTHS of phone calls to get them to actually do anything. I got hit in May and since my car was drivable (albeit the right side was wiped off of it) it was Aug before they authorized a repair.

I forgot what my adjusters name was. Mrs. Black..well? something like that, To this day I have never actually managed to get her on the phone. Only left voicemails that went un returned, or spoke to someone else in the office who were reluctant to do anything since it was not their case. Im pretty sure this "adjuster" was just a name assigned to files that were low priority, and not actually a person. It wasen't untill i called the ombudsman that things started to happen and they happened in a hurry after that.

Sigh, sorry to hear that...and kinda annoyed at how many GSXR riders ride like idiots at the wrong time and place.

Glad your injuries aren't worse.

油井緋色;2201554 said:
Sigh, sorry to hear that...and kinda annoyed at how many GSXR riders ride like idiots at the wrong time and place.

Glad your injuries aren't worse.
You really believe the gixxer hype??

I believe the Minor Injury Guidelines allow only for $3500 and the Major Injury Guidelines allow for $50,000. I assure you, getting into the major injury category will take a herculean effort. I have friends and family who've been involved in extraordinary accidents and sustained agregious injuries: vehicle rollover on 401, another lost his leg, another had nerve damage in their shoulder.

Even the one who lost his leg was put on the 'Minor Injury' category... the insurance adjuster told him he has another leg, he'll be ok.

The insurance fraud propaganda machine is just an excuse for the government and insurance companies to continue reducing our coverage. I won't be surprised if this 15% reduction in premiums will reduce the minor injury coverage to $15.

Back
Top Bottom