Touring comfort on a Vulcan 900 Custom | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring comfort on a Vulcan 900 Custom

Mig21

Hi

I have been riding a Vulcan 500 for years, and am now shopping for a used Vulcan 900. I don't need to but I've been thinking about it for years, and what the hell, why not.

From the photos I really like the look of the Custom model. If for no other reason than that it has no spokes (impossible to clean, I really don't like them). It lookes pretty neat in other ways too (can't put my finger on why exactly).

Does someone here have experience riding one of these? Is a custom comfortable for long rides or just a looker for going around the block?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

I had a '98 Vulcan Custom 800. Quite different from the 900 but FWIW, I found it very comfortable. I added a windshield and it made a huge difference on long rides.
A lot depends on your size/weight/leg length/comfort level. It's rare that any bike is perfect for any rider out of the box. Be prepared to make some tweaks to make the bike fit you just right. It might be as simple as moving the handlebars in or out half an inch or it might mean getting an aftermarket saddle, moving the foot controls, etc. Check out some Vulcan-specific forums and see what others have done and what aftermarket products are available.
I really liked my Vulcan, thing could go around corners like it was on rails. I just found it underpowered for two-up riding but the 900 might be a completely different story. Sure is a good looking bike.

It depends on the rider. I have a '08 VN900C and I find it quite comfortable for extended riding once I replaced the stock seat.

As mentioned there are lots of things you can do to tailor the bike to fit you, and that's the most important part for comfort. The ride quality is very good. The adjustable rear shock makes a large difference in quality of ride. When I first got mine and starting riding it a bunch I found the rear suspension was a little on the harsh side. Every bump I could feel up my back. Not painfully so, but definately notable. I read through the manual and found that the rear shock has 7 settings, and it was on the stock "skinny asian" setting. I bumped it up to "fat white guy" setting and it's like riding on a cloud now. The 20L tank gives you a 400km+ range

The skinny front end makes it a blast in the corners. Very easy to throw around and handles like it's on rails. It's a great value in a middle weight cruiser. It has more then ample power for blasting around town and getting in trouble. On the highway it has enough power to get you to speed but above 120 it runs out of steam. You can cruise at 140 no problem but the engine is going to be buzzy at that point. This bike definately needs a 6th gear. I've had mine for years and I still try to shift for that 6th almost every time im on the highway.

I very much like mine, and I would buy it again. There's a couple good Vulcan forums you can look at, or if you have any questions i'll do my best to answer.

Cool, thanks guys! I guess you told me what I wanted to hear - it's not a bad cruising bike. I've never bothered to customise anything on my 500, it was always (year after year after year) going to be a starter bike so I didn't want to invest too much into it. But if I get a 900 that will be probably a 10 year commitment so I'll definitely look into it.

Sucks to hear about the top speed. My 500 can do a max of 140 but at that point it's just spewing gas out without burning it :) Still, it does 120 with no issue whatsoever, in 6th gear. I never understood why so many cruisers don't have a 6th.

Do you think a 2009 custom with 5000kms on it with two previous owners but in great condition is a good deal for 5600$?

Don't worry about the top speed it's got more then enough. Internet reports GPS speeds of ~170km/h for actual top speed. It's just that from 0-100 it's quite a rocket but above that the power delivery drops off. No issues getting to 140 in a hurry and staying there.

If your coming from a Vulcan 500 im sure you will be impressed. If you were on a inline 4 cylinder sporting type bike might be let down by the highway power situation.

A '09 with 5k for $5600 sounds about right to me. New ones are almost 10k and that's really low k's. I'd be happy to pay that price for what I got that's for sure.

Any pics? Since it's a '09 im going to guess it's the Burnt Orange?

I second the top speed thing. I've owned the 900 custom as well as many others. No problems at 120. After than, engine vibration/buzziness is the least of your worries - wind will be your #1 issue.

The stock seat's gotta go. For me, the riding position was a little to "up in stirrups" for me so I'd be looking for a mustang with the backrest. Years later I'm now on a Star 950 and liking it very much. Not much "top-end" difference, but the riding position is a little more upright than the Kawi.

$5600.00 is a fairly good price for very low kms. Also, with some sweet looking hard-shell bags & memphis shades windscreen, you'll have a nice setup for very little coin.

Last edited:
I sold my 500 this year and picked up a 900 custom. It is an 07 and had 10000 km. I paid $4k for it and spent another 1200 on mods, cleanup and a new seat. Love my bike. Super comfortable and much more stable than the 500.

Got it! What a great looking bike!

Took some negotiating, finally got the guy to agree to sell it for 5600$ but include his Cycle Shell, which is a really cool concept, I'm sure I'll be happy I have it one day. Had to go pick it up from Windsor though :)

Don't have any photos, but it looks practically new, and the highway bars were chosen really well.

But I definitely need a windshield. The Memphis Shades Slim I had on my 500 doesn't fit, could be the mounting hardware or the size of the hole (maybe I need the 9" one), but the height looked like it would work. I wonder if I should go for a Memphis Shades Fats for this one, maybe one of the dealerships will have something they can try on for me.

Yeah 120 is definitely the top. I can't hear a damned thing at that speed witout a windshield but I feel the nasty vibration, feels like the bike will rattle into pieces :) Or maybe I just need to get used to it, I have a feeling it's the V-twin engine type that makes it so different.

The stock seat's gotta go. For me, the riding position was a little to "up in stirrups" for me so I'd be looking for a mustang with the backrest.

Where and how do you shop for a replacement seat? Are they custom made or do they fit different models? How about the bags?

I sold my 500 this year and picked up a 900 custom. It is an 07 and had 10000 km. I paid $4k for it

Good deal! It's quite a difference from the 500, eh? I went on a ride on my old bike after getting the new one and it's incredible how small and weak it feels now, I always thought it was a great bike :) Hopefully I can get some money from selling it, don't imagine it will be much given it's age and mileage.

Congratulations! May you have many safe and happy miles on your new bike.
Corbin, Mustang, Saddleman and others all make aftermarket saddles. Lots of people like Mustang but just like not all helmets fit all heads, not all saddles fit all butts. Get on the Vulcan forums and hear what others have to say.
I put a Kawasaki Vulcan windshield on my Vulcan and while it cost a bit more, it fit perfectly and worked well. Made a HUGE difference in comfort, not fighting the wind.
Enjoy your new ride!

Thanks! I have a new baby so I won't get to ride it as much as I used to ride the old one but I'm still very happy to have it.

I put a Kawasaki Vulcan windshield on my Vulcan

Which one? I've been reading about it and people say the cafe is useless. The short seems too short also. Did you get the touring one? Also it seems based on their website all their windshields are tinted, which I really don't want. Are they?

http://www.kawasaki.ca/accessories/cruiser/vulcan-900-custom/2009/windshields/

Congrats on the purchase. Your going to have a lot of fun.

I've got a National Cycles quick attaching 2-up windshield for mine that I don't use. If your looking at getting a big windshield I could be talked into letting it go for cheap.

Thanks! I have a new baby so I won't get to ride it as much as I used to ride the old one but I'm still very happy to have it.

Which one? I've been reading about it and people say the cafe is useless. The short seems too short also. Did you get the touring one? Also it seems based on their website all their windshields are tinted, which I really don't want. Are they?

http://www.kawasaki.ca/accessories/cruiser/vulcan-900-custom/2009/windshields/

Remember, this was back in '98, so things have changed considerably. As I (vaguely) recall, there was only one windshield available, what they now call the touring model.
Ideally, you should be looking just OVER your windshield, not through it. Take some measurements on your bike and figure out what the ideal height for you is. There may well be some excellent aftermarket windshields out there which would fit you perfectly.
And you can always cut down a windshield that's too tall but nothing you can do about one that's too short.

you can always cut down a windshield that's too tall
I don't think I would trust myself :)

I've got a National Cycles quick attaching 2-up windshield for mine that I don't use. If your looking at getting a big windshield I could be talked into letting it go for cheap.
I sent you a private message, I'm not sure if you read those?

Back
Top Bottom