Should my bike have passed safety inspection? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Should my bike have passed safety inspection?

DG84

I recently bought a bike, but discovered a plug on the rear tire (see photo). In addition, there's no light on the license plate.
The seller provided a safety certificate, but to me, the bike should not have passed the inspection. Should it have?

In addition, it didn't start on the second day after I bought it. Turns out the stator is done, so I need to replace it (waiting for the part now). The guy told me he owned/rode it for 8 months, but after I checked the UVIP, he only registered it two days prior to selling it to me.
Has anyone had a similar experience?

I did bring the bike to a motorcycle mechanic on the day after the purchase. They checked it out (VINs, whether frame was bent/damaged, whether engine was ever off the bike) and said it looks clean. That was prior to me discovering the stator/tire problem.

To be honest though, I'm still kind of nervous to ride the bike, after realizing how sketchy the seller was in hindsight.

tire.jpg

Replace the tire if you're concerned. At the very least use a razor blade and get that plug flush. When I plugged my tire after a puncture I wasn't very confident in it. I got mixed opinions on whether it was something I could continue to ride on, but in the end I was concerned with it and it was always on my mind, so I replaced the tire. I've no interest in risking it over a bit of cash.

Did you not look at the UVIP when you bought the bike, or did the seller not provide it?

Could've been plugged after the safety. Change the tire if it bothers you.

The stator is just something you gonna have to deal with. Its a used bike purchase, sometimes you roll the dice.

Yes, I am definitely replacing the tire. Will probably order it this weekend and it should come around the same time as the stator.
I specifically asked the guy for the UVIP and just as we were about to complete the deal, he said he forgot it. In hindsight, I should have said no deal then, but I let it go because he seemed like a legit guy, not the sleazebag he turned out to be. Lesson learned, though; it was my fault too for trusting someone I shouldn't have. I was more concerned about liens on the bike, but now I'm kind of bothered of why he would only register it two days before. I'm guessing either he had it for a while and never rode/registered it, or he bought it cheap knowing it had problems and re-sold it.

What's the bike?

(granted I've never had a plugged tire) but was it plugged with chewing gum? - what the heck is that plug?

What's the bike?

(granted I've never had a plugged tire) but was it plugged with chewing gum? - what the heck is that plug?

Looks like a typical rope plug, but it had probably dried out before it got used or something??

You could always take it to the place that passed it and see what they say.

It's the mechanic's license on the line if he's passing bad stuff,
so he might want to know if this guy is making him look bad.

Is a tire worth that much that someone would spend the time to swap it?

Guys, last time I check is lawful to repair a tire.
I mean, a plug is not illegal, so as long as it is not leaking air like crazy, it is going to pass certification.

The stator may be coincidence, it just died the next day you brought it home or whatever.

But I would feel the same, when you put it together and the seller was not exactly truthful, it doesn't feel right. You did the right thing taking it to a mechanic. Get the stator and get riding. Change the tire if it bothers you.

Guys, last time I check is lawful to repair a tire.
I mean, a plug is not illegal, so as long as it is not leaking air like crazy, it is going to pass certification.

The stator may be coincidence, it just died the next day you brought it home or whatever.

But I would feel the same, when you put it together and the seller was not exactly truthful, it doesn't feel right. You did the right thing taking it to a mechanic. Get the stator and get riding. Change the tire if it bothers you.

It's only lawful if the tire is plugged in the tread, not the sidewall area. It's hard to tell from this pic where the plug is.

I want to call this the TAFB tire plug... I am not a fan of rope plugs on motorcycle tires in general, but this looks shabbily done to begin with. You would definitely feel that while riding! It would be up to the mechanic to decide whether or not to pass it - I know some that would fail it and some that would be fine with it, as long as you were informed about it being there. No light on the license plate is technically a safety issue, but few mechanics will fail it because it's frequently a side effect of using a cheap fender eliminator. That said, a cop could decide to hassle you about an unlit plate if you were out riding at night...

Registering it only two days before selling it to you is a bit odd... is it possible he just unplated it or move his plate to another bike? That might change the registration date on the UVIP, not sure. And the bad stator, given the number of people that somehow think biannual battery replacements are normal, he may not even have been aware of. A stator can fail on just about any bike, so I would just chalk that up to running a used machine.

It's only lawful if the tire is plugged in the tread, not the sidewall area. It's hard to tell from this pic where the plug is.

Definitely the tread.

I am willing to bet I could find more issues to not certify this bike.
If he looked past missing license plate light, I'm sure there are more issues not dealt with.
A good mechanic would not let that go.
My mechanic goes so far as to not let cracks in the sidewalls of tires, small crack in blinker...lots of stuff people don't realize are on certification check lists.

Yes, the bike would be safe to ride with cracks in the sidewall of the tire, and yes, the blinker functions with a small crack in it. But it's nice to have a real mechanic look at the bike to certify.

I would take it back to the certification mechanic and complain, and make him make it right or I would report him.
He could lose his license over this.

Sleazebag du jour probably told inspecting mechanic he was keeping the bike. I find that affects the leniency of the inspection.

This is why it looks like I am raping a bike when I first check it out. I will be opening that MFer up and checking EVERYTHING. I'm a heartless fu** when it comes to me inspecting a bike for purchase for myself. :D

I plugged my tire yesterday and took her for a rip.. No problems. Even if it is a little sticking out as shown in the picture It feels no different then going over a small pebble.

However if you are the type that takes corners at 140 and partake in the so called "spirited" rides then maybe get a new tire

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

I plugged my tire yesterday and took her for a rip.. No problems. Even if it is a little sticking out as shown in the picture It feels no different then going over a small pebble.

However if you are the type that takes corners at 140 and partake in the so called "spirited" rides then maybe get a new tire

It has little to do with you cornering on it or not, and just because it worked for a day doesn't mean you're good. Friction is the only thing that is keeping that plug in place, and odds of it being ejected go up over time. Take a good look at the picture - see the cratered area around the plug? That is the result of the significant amount of stress the tire carcass is experiencing from that plug being there. That stress will continually weaken the part of the tire that is holding the plug in.

It has little to do with you cornering on it or not, and just because it worked for a day doesn't mean you're good. Friction is the only thing that is keeping that plug in place, and odds of it being ejected go up over time. Take a good look at the picture - see the cratered area around the plug? That is the result of the significant amount of stress the tire carcass is experiencing from that plug being there. That stress will continually weaken the part of the tire that is holding the plug in.

Friction and rubber cement glue.. Dont get me wrong I am not saying its a "good thing"

but i dont think its as bad as it seems either. I have had 3 patched rear tires.. Both cases i used the plug and glue.. No issues. But i dont ride hard.

Mind you i would never use it in a front tire.

Friction and rubber cement glue.. Dont get me wrong I am not saying its a "good thing"

but i dont think its as bad as it seems either. I have had 3 patched rear tires.. Both cases i used the plug and glue.. No issues. But i dont ride hard.

Mind you i would never use it in a front tire.

Why not the front?

Man, you must have had bad luck with tire plugs!

Lol... the only thing I meant by that is that TAFB, wherever he may be, advocated their use so strongly he would offer to help people install them in person. I am never going to be able to look at one without associating it with him. I am not besmirching his name in his absence

Back
Top Bottom