Anybody own a Honda CB1100.........if so what do you think of it? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody own a Honda CB1100.........if so what do you think of it?

Heavy, expensive, unremarkable, mediocre power...it was aimed at nostalgic 50+ yr Olds with money, much like the various retro muscle cars.

Wow! You Sir are a genius. You just identified the Honda marketing formula perfectly.:lmao:

Wow! You Sir are a genius. You just identified the Honda marketing formula perfectly.:lmao:

It's the same marketing strategy Ford used on the Mustang, Dodge their retro muscle cars. They are targeting the demographic who spends money on this stuff, not 18-30 year olds, they are not interested in cars or motorcycles, more interested in smart phones, and don't have any money.

This is why BMW brought back the R9T, and Yamaha the SR400. Won't work, because while baby boomers have all the money, they mostly stopped riding bikes or switched to tourers.

It's the same marketing strategy Ford used on the Mustang, Dodge their retro muscle cars. They are targeting the demographic who spends money on this stuff, not 18-30 year olds, they are not interested in cars or motorcycles, more interested in smart phones, and don't have any money.

This is why BMW brought back the R9T, and Yamaha the SR400. Won't work, because while baby boomers have all the money, they mostly stopped riding bikes or switched to tourers.

Except BMW has no R9Ts available to buy 'till 2015 at the earliest, at their downtown toronto store. I also spoke to a buddy in England (a chap?), where they're telling him March 2015, at the earliest at his local dealership.

I really believe Honda priced their consumers out on this model like they did the VFR1200. That CB1100 at 9 or 10K would have sold well. The R9T sells below the MSRP of most bmws and has that look to it and, as a result, is sold out at every place I've queried (only two, but still!).

d

I really believe Honda priced their consumers out on this model like they did the VFR1200. That CB1100 at 9 or 10K would have sold well. The R9T sells below the MSRP of most bmws and has that look to it and, as a result, is sold out at every place I've queried (only two, but still!).

d

I suspect you are right about the $9-$10k price point. Although we are not comparing apples to oranges, I would much prefer the Moto Guzzi V7 line if I wanted a cool retro bike with modern bits.

The attention to detail is very high - the color scheme is very subject but I like it.
24_07_2011_moto_guzzi_v7_racer_04.jpg

I suspect you are right about the $9-$10k price point. Although we are not comparing apples to oranges, I would much prefer the Moto Guzzi V7 line if I wanted a cool retro bike with modern bits.

The attention to detail is very high - the color scheme is very subject but I like it.
24_07_2011_moto_guzzi_v7_racer_04.jpg

That's a ****in sexy bike!

I dunno, this is the first decent summer we've had in 10 years where it hasn't rained on an almost daily basis from May to September.
That constant sun every day is causing a relapse of bike riding fever and bringing back memories of those blazing hot summers in the 70s when I was in my 20s and riding a Nighthawk 750.
I decided on a bike like my 750 Honda Shadow Spirit C2 because with all the mouldy rainy summers I figured an around city/town bike would be all that I'd need and long tours would be out of the question.
I know I'll be kicking myself for dropping $13K on a bigger bike when the typical rain forest weather returns next year.

Last edited:
Honda should bring over their existing CB400SS and price it around $5000. But that's never going to happen.

HONDA_CB400SS.jpg

Might have made more sense than the CB1100, but there was plenty of bellyaching over the W650, TU250 and the SR400 specs/pricing/authenticity. Doubtful that the CB400 would have fared much better, even at $5000 + HST + Dealer = $6000ish. Love it though.

The market selection is all about what appeals to the *average* North American--Terminator Cruisers, Rossi Replicas and Obi-Wan Adventurers. The odd scraps are for the oddballs.

Had a Honda CB 360 twin back in the early 70s (very similar to the bike pictured above) that weighed not a whole lot more than 360 pounds, put out an honest 34 hp and had a 6 speed gearbox.
No problem from North Bay to Toronto several times on a "thimble full" of gas.
I think it had more "guts" than the Honda 750 Spirit Shadow C2 I'm riding now.

Except BMW has no R9Ts available to buy 'till 2015 at the earliest, at their downtown toronto store. I also spoke to a buddy in England (a chap?), where they're telling him March 2015, at the earliest at his local dealership.

I really like the new CB 1100 (especially with the blue colour instead of last year's white). The price point though... Wowsa... I like retro styled bikes and it is nice to have some power and handling (and mid mount controls) to go with the naked styling. Would be nice to get an updated version of my current bike but Triumph seems to be the only company that really knows how to market retro styled bikes. Mind you, the market has spoken. I loved the Kawasaki Zephr but they never sold well at all.

I really like the new CB 1100 (especially with the blue colour instead of last year's white). The price point though... Wowsa... I like retro styled bikes and it is nice to have some power and handling (and mid mount controls) to go with the naked styling. Would be nice to get an updated version of my current bike but Triumph seems to be the only company that really knows how to market retro styled bikes. Mind you, the market has spoken. I loved the Kawasaki Zephr but they never sold well at all.

The price of the retro CB1100 is almost the same as the modern "standard" equivalent the CB1000R in the $13K + change range.
They both have 6 speed gearboxes though I'd like to see a comparison of the ratios.
The CB1000R is liquid cooled and lighter and leaves the retro in the dust in EVERY performance criterion.
Loved the 70s and my old CB750 but they're all gone along with my hair and 32" waistline.
But we all know that you can't go back.
Time to move on.
For about the same money I'm going with the "R".
Performance trumps nostalgia.
The retro is WAY over priced.
If it MSRP'd for what it should in the $9-$10K range I'd buy one.
If I'm going to pay $13K I want to get $13K worth of bike.

Last edited:
Looked at a VFR1200F selling for $3000 more than the CB1100 but with liquid cooling and a shaft drive.
Sat in the seat of one and it feels like it would be a comfortable ride for the long haul.
The VFR1200F is an odd clash of sport/touring configuration bike but am hoping next year they come out with a model with a bigger gas tank.
Wish they had a portfolio of choices like this when I stopped bike riding in the 80s.
If I sound like a doddering senior citizen bewildered by how the world of cycling has changed in over 3 decades and the kaleidoscope of choices facing me it is because that is exactly what I am.
Decisions, decisions ......... in the meantime I'll ride around and enjoy this incredible summer on my practically new (less than 500 km on the odometer) 750 Honda Shadow Spirit C2 after I get the new battery I paid nearly $200 for in and get some gas in the tank and air into the flat tires.

Last edited:
In my opinion this is the only good cb1100 honda ever made. They never got it right after this one. Maybe if they could come up with some decent horse power it would have been better.20180605_141849.jpg

Last edited:
I had a CB1100 as a rental for about a week in Arizona a few years ago. It was easy to ride, reasonably comfortable, good looking. The power was really soft. It was entirely unremarkable, to the point that I don't remember a lot about the riding experience. I know it was a 2013 model with the 5 speed transmission, and I recall thinking that the 6th gear from the 2014+ models would be worth it, so it probably vibrated a bit too much on the highway in 5th.

The next bike I purchased was an XSR900. Similar look if you squint a bit, but a completely different riding experience. The XSR was also much cheaper.

In my opinion this is the only good cb1100 honda ever made. They never got it right after this one. Maybe if they could come up with some decent horse power it would have been better.View attachment 51545
Had one back in 83 not a bad bike but the clutch and gearbox were a little weak and the comstar wheels dented very easily and were on a year long back order.
A lot of fun tho as honda introduced the V65 in the same year with a TV ad showing Peewee Gleason turning a sub 10.5 1/4 and calling the V65 the fastest production bike and that led to a ton of folks without a clue loosing races...
And yes the Canadian model was way nicer than the US version

Edit found the TV spot

A lot of fun tho as honda introduced the V65 in the same year with a TV ad showing Peewee Gleason turning a sub 10.5 1/4 and calling the V65 the fastest production bike and that led to a ton of folks without a clue loosing races...
They couldn't get the performance out of the V65 or people on sport bikes were shocked that the standard bike kicked their ass?

Had a Honda CB 360 twin back in the early 70s (very similar to the bike pictured above) that weighed not a whole lot more than 360 pounds, put out an honest 34 hp and had a 6 speed gearbox.
No problem from North Bay to Toronto several times on a "thimble full" of gas.
I think it had more "guts" than the Honda 750 Spirit Shadow C2 I'm riding now.
My first bike was a CB360. I flogged a CB750 SOHC for 8 years (currently rebuilding it).
Buy an old KLR and just be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom