Carpal tunnel and riding, any advice? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Carpal tunnel and riding, any advice?

油井緋色;2201452 said:
Went to a doc and he said it's very early symptoms. The pinkie side of my right hand is constantly numb and occasionally (now) the whole risk swells up. I'm sitting here typing with my right hand wrapped in ice -_-

Elastic bands won't give me enough resistance to stimulate growth. For reference, I 5x5 235lb squat *** to grass and 1x5 315 deadlift. The bench is around 175.

I'm just gonna give up lifting for a bit and stick with cardio until this is better and drop everything by 25% when I go back :(

pinky side of the hand is supplied by the ulnar nerve.

if you can hold your elbow fully bent for a minute (wrist not flexed or extended) without an increase in your symptoms, it's not cubital tunnel syndrome.
compression at Guyon's Canal happens when the heel of the hand on the pinky side (the pisiform bone on the wrist) is constantly under pressure or your wrist is constantly held in extension for prolonged periods of time. It can also occur if your tend to wear a tight watch.

I would suggest not allowing your wrists to repetitively extend (bend towards the back of the hand) under load (eg. on a bench press or when pushing a door open with your palm)

Last edited:
Most probably the carpal tunnel is due to excessive programming and/or video games. I was in similar situation and also work in the same field. Turns out I was spending roughly 15+ hrs a day between those 2 tasks and it didn't give enough time for the body to relax.

It was getting really bad where the pain would surge up the arms to the shoulder. I was ready to go in for surgery but decided to take a nice long vacation (4 months) in which I had no access to a PC/Video games. Surprisingly when I got back I realized that I was free of Carpal tunnel!

It'll still linger if i go back into the whole 15+ hrs daily routine again - which I hardly do anymore (Cut down on video games) :p

Most probably the carpal tunnel is due to excessive programming and/or video games. I was in similar situation and also work in the same field. Turns out I was spending roughly 15+ hrs a day between those 2 tasks and it didn't give enough time for the body to relax.

It was getting really bad where the pain would surge up the arms to the shoulder. I was ready to go in for surgery but decided to take a nice long vacation (4 months) in which I had no access to a PC/Video games. Surprisingly when I got back I realized that I was free of Carpal tunnel!

It'll still linger if i go back into the whole 15+ hrs daily routine again - which I hardly do anymore (Cut down on video games) :p
Who can afford 4mths vacation?
I need your job.

Ps. If you're spending 15hrs in front of a screen everyday, I feel sorry for your eyes & heart

Who can afford 4mths vacation?
I need your job.

Hard work pays for a good long vacation ;)

Nah it was the usual 7.5 hrs of work the other 7.5hrs came from excessive online gaming (used to play religiously)..mind you this was back many years ago...

I'm also surprised that I still don't need any glasses!

So have there been any changes to your situation?

I'm kind of in the same boat now. My whole arm/hand goes numb after a short period on the bike. It also gets numb at night while i'm sleeping.

I had my right thumb going numb after riding more than an hour (clip on sport bike), switched to dirt bike bars and it still happens, just takes a little longer. I also had wrist pain from benchpressing etc.

What I found helped the most is angling my hands on the bars (barbell or handlebar) similar to how one is supposed to hold a tennis racquet... You do this by rotating your hand inward in the bar (conversely, rotating your wrist outward; towards the bar end).

It took some getting used to but once I found a comfortable (sweet spot) for my wrists I've been relatively pain free. Also helps activate the triceps for benching and thus my bench went up as well!

Something to try maybe

I had my right thumb going numb after riding more than an hour (clip on sport bike), switched to dirt bike bars and it still happens, just takes a little longer. I also had wrist pain from benchpressing etc.

What I found helped the most is angling my hands on the bars (barbell or handlebar) similar to how one is supposed to hold a tennis racquet... You do this by rotating your hand inward in the bar (conversely, rotating your wrist outward; towards the bar end).

It took some getting used to but once I found a comfortable (sweet spot) for my wrists I've been relatively pain free. Also helps activate the triceps for benching and thus my bench went up as well!

Something to try maybe

You bring up a good point. I believe the aggressive nature of the bars on my bike & grabbing the clutch, coupled with my lifts (bench + ohp, and any other accessories) that cause my wrist to extend due to the heavier weights are the causes for the numbness. It doesn't help that my clipons don't have bar end weights so it's vibrating more than it should normally. I've tried to consciously angle my hands in the manner you've described so let's see if it helps overtime.

So have there been any changes to your situation?

I'm kind of in the same boat now. My whole arm/hand goes numb after a short period on the bike. It also gets numb at night while i'm sleeping.

My right hand/arm is back to 100%. I adjusted my work place; keyboard, monitor and mouse were all moved further out. My arms rests right before my elbow on the desk and I make an effort to sit back in the chair as far as possible. I also iced (wrap an ice pack) my right arm (from pinkie to elbow) 3 times a day (30 minutes each). Put a tissue between the ice pack to prevent ice burn.

Took around a month to get me back to 100%. I cracked around the 2nd week and went to the gym/rode hard (hanging off like a monkey) and it came back. Icing it again helped lots.

. It doesn't help that my clipons don't have bar end weights so it's vibrating more than it should normally. .

I'll let you in on a little secret. I feel generous tonight.
You can get a rough measurement of the inside diameter of the clip on bar then go to a hardware store & get a cylinder rod & stuff it in the bar. Cut to length as you wish. Cuts down the vibration without getting rid of your fancy bar ends.

I have aluminum bar ends

Back
Top Bottom