Carpal tunnel and riding, any advice? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Carpal tunnel and riding, any advice?

油井緋色

Site Supporter
Over the past 2 months I've noticed pain in my right hand from steering the wheel during rush hour (usually only use my right). It wasn't until after Racer5 that I realized something was seriously wrong, in hindsight, it should have been obvious as I was pushing through the pain every track session. The cause was due to my workspace being too cramped. I have since issued a complaint and been given an office but the syndrome isn't subsiding.

It really sucks because video games, programming (my livelyhood), riding, and weight lifting (specifically bench press) all aggravate my right hand and eventually lead to massive pain (lifting and riding do this) or a throbbing wrist. While I can still easily push through the pain, I would rather it not get to the point where I can't.

Does anyone have advice? =(

油井緋色;2201236 said:
Over the past 2 months I've noticed pain in my right hand from steering the wheel during rush hour (usually only use my right). It wasn't until after Racer5 that I realized something was seriously wrong, in hindsight, it should have been obvious as I was pushing through the pain every track session. The cause was due to my workspace being too cramped. I have since issued a complaint and been given an office but the syndrome isn't subsiding.

It really sucks because video games, programming (my livelyhood), riding, and weight lifting (specifically bench press) all aggravate my right hand and eventually lead to massive pain (lifting and riding do this) or a throbbing wrist. While I can still easily push through the pain, I would rather it not get to the point where I can't.

Does anyone have advice? =(

Get yourself a wrist brace asap. Be sure to get one with a solid support. Wear it to bed every night. (your local drug store will have them)
With a bit of luck, you'll notice the pain subside. You might even have a bit of relief the 1st day, but give it time.
As with anything.......if bench pressing (or anything else) is aggravating it, put the cause aside until the pain is gone.
Avoiding surgery is a good thing.
I've been getting away with this method for 30yrs, and seldom have flare ups.
I also know what causes the pain, so I either avoid the task, or wear the brace. It helps.
YMMV.

Hate to contradict my buddy Gary but I had the surgery 20yrs. ago in left hand. It only showed up when cycling (which I did a lot of back then) because I am right handed. Pain free ever since. They say you could do permanent damage if not addressed. 15-20 minute operation.

Had the surgery 10+ years ago (both hands) it has been much better ever since. 1/2 hour surgery 1-2 weeks to heal. Just note your thumb will be weaker after the surgery.

I don't think I'll be looking into surgery yet as the pain is not disabling. I will try the wrist brace idea before sleeping.

Riser on the bars will take some weight off your hands/wrists....

I've got nerve damage from years on an SD400 with drop bars. :(

Now many days I have to ride through the pain for 30 minutes to an hour then it's okay for the rest of the day.

Affects a lot of things.....finding with the heavier Nikkor lens it can trigger it after a long photo session.

Also bear in mind it can be a problem from the shoulder/neck that shows up in the hands. Complicated bloody bit of the body.

For the bike you might try a throttle rocker

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/231/Throttle-Rocker

yja6a9yq.jpg

It allows you to use more of your palm to operate the throttle, easing up on your grip.

I prefer the one with the plastic clip design as opposed to the Velcro band, as I can adjust it on the fly.

^^Useless in the city, IMO, especially if your bike has a lot of throttle response.

OP - trade your bike for a real bike, start using TRX for your workouts, and stop playing video games, problem most likely solved :)

and where do we find you Racer5 write up ?

Last edited:
^^Useless in the city, IMO, especially if your bike has a lot of throttle response.

OP - trade your bike for a real bike, start using TRX for your workouts, and stop playing video games, problem most likely solved :)

What counts as a real bike and how will that help with carpal tunnel?

Alternate wrist/forearm weight exercise with stretching.

Wrist curls - palm down, palm up. Not much weight is required - 15-25lbs.

On alternate days, stretching - palm against the wall and lean, first fingers up, then back of hand against the wall with fingers down. Then side to side, index finger and thumb against the wall first then the pinky.

Worked for me.

YMMV. It never leaves my throttle unless the twisties are stellar.

I kind of have the same issue.
I bought a wrist brace from Shoppers and often wear it while sleeping, and sometimes during the day. Seems to help a bit.
Also, look up carpal tunnel stretching/exercises on youtube. I've seen some positive results from those too.

...not sure what someone that would recommend sissy elastic bands as a workout alternative for his wrists would consider to be a "real bike". Had high hopes for you too, considering your taste in music and all ;)

What counts as a real bike and how will that help with carpal tunnel?

A standard bike, where you don't have to use as much arms/wrists/hands.

I was motivating him further for a naked, as I know that OP has interests to do the switch.

YMMV. It never leaves my throttle unless the twisties are stellar.

I did say useless in the city :)

...not sure what someone that would recommend sissy elastic bands as a workout alternative for his wrists would consider to be a "real bike". Had high hopes for you too, considering your taste in music and all ;)

Please advice the US Army with your expertise as well lol

https://www.google.ca/search?q=us+a...tG0yATe84H4DQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=944&bih=951

I'm surprised that someone would ask the GTAM crowd the answer to a medical problem. See a doctor and find out what is going on. Carpal tunnel typically is indicated when the thumb and first two fingers go numb. I had surgery 20 yrs ago on both hands and never a problem since.

Try using your left hand? .....or find a girlfriend/boyfriend?

油井緋色;2201249 said:
I don't think I'll be looking into surgery yet as the pain is not disabling. I will try the wrist brace idea before sleeping.

If your go the brace route, keep it loose so that it does not cut off your circulation.
Make sure there's minimal pressure at the heel of your palm.

When riding, try to avoid the "bent wrist" position, where the hand is bent back relative to the forearm (like on a bench press).
Try to keep the back of the hand as in-line with the forearm as much as possible.

Pain is one thing, but get really worried if the hand (palm side of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th digits) starts going numb and staying numb even once the pressure is relieved.

Try using your back and core muscles more and not resting as much body weight on your hands when on the bike.

The surgery is relatively straight forward. The only issue is the small risk of infection and excessive scarring associated with any surgery. Make sure you wait until you are fully healed (as per the surgeon's instructions) before you start using your hands too much too early.

Last edited:
i have the crampbuster, and ive honestly only used it a total of 10 min on the bike in 3 yrs. every time i put it on to give it a chance i end up pulling it off before leaving my street because it bothers me.
i may take a dremil to it and try to make it narrower, maybe that will help.

get some good soft grips, yes they will wear out faster but really will 20 bux a season for grips break you?
i like Spider peak grips, had them last year. i just put on Renthal dual compounds last week, honestly not a bad grip but they are a harder compound than the Spider grips, ill be switching back to them next season.
i like the shape of the Renthals better because they are more uniform but overall Spiders feel better, fit better and look better. Spider makes some other grips i may try out before the peaks again.

Back
Top Bottom