My First track day at TMP - Friday July 11th | GTAMotorcycle.com

My First track day at TMP - Friday July 11th

Punisher

Site Supporter
I just did my very first track day (not including my Racer5 Intro to Track last year) and I am officially addicted.
the day was almost lost in the morning when I got the brakes to hard approaching turn 8, the ABS kicked in, and the brakes just gave up. I ran straight onto the grass and I must had still be leaning the bike a bit because it felt like king kong kicked out my front tire. bike went down and flipped from one side to the other. Cracked the lower fairing, bent a foot peg, bent my right side clip-on and a few other dings. Fortunately I was able to walk away from it and ride my bike back to the Paddock. Huge thanks to a small group of guys who all came together and helped me get the bike back into shape so I could finish the day. it was a hard lesson to learn but I learnt it quickly and gave myself some more distance for braking. On the other hand I did reach my goal which was to get a knee down in the corner. By mid afternoon I was getting a knee down at will on almost every corner where the line was sharp enough, and was doing it with confidence.
Got 2 more track days booked at TMP, and I plan on working on my braking along with a long list of other issues.
I highly recommend doing a track day to everyone. In the novice group I felt no pressure to keep up with anyone else and was able to ride at a pace I felt comfortable with, and probably learnt more in one day then I did all of last season on the streets.

Thanks again to all those who took time out of their track day to help get me back on the track. It was very much appreciated, and just goes to show you the type of riders who go there.

Jason

[video=youtube;-Ff0eyupS2Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ff0eyupS2Y&index=3&list=PLr0hLFrnsz6AcaSw3oBR6q7qS OBOuX1vz[/video]

a second video, shot from my friend Roy perspective.
[video=youtube;hHwJzbHZAqk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHwJzbHZAqk&list=PLr0hLFrnsz6AcaSw3oBR6q7q SOBOuX1vz&index=2[/video]

No i dont have the crash on video, would have not been the exciting anyway.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

It's funny how the action looks so much quicker from the Bike-Cam in comparison to the Helmet-Cam.
Great job for your first time.

Nice, welcome to the addiction!

ABS on the SV is dangerous junk. I'd disconnect it for track days if I were you.

Here's a video of me on my old SV. These lines seemed to work well on the SV.
[video=youtube;eLRw-DNfFkc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLRw-DNfFkc[/video]

punisher, did you take all 3 intro stages at racer 5 or just the 1st one?

Hey man,
I only took the intro to track, but I do want to take the others as well.
Jason

Congrats on this fun and expensive addiction! There's other tracks besided TMP btw ;)

N3WMAN,
how much are you looking at approximately to throw GSXR 750 Calipers on the SV?

doozerdave,
I was going to look up how to disconnect the ABS, is it complicated?
is it one step or do you have to do to both the front & rear?
great video, you got some major lean i na few of those corners.

thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:
I have no idea, probably just pull the ABS fuse if there is one.

Gixxer brakes no doubt help, as would a full front end conversion, but IMO it's not worth it at your level. Use your money on track time. My SV had stock brakes and just springs and RaceTech valves. I easily rode in the fast group at every track and frequently passed 600's and 1000's on the brakes (and mid corner from time to time).

It won't be long until you'll need a good rear shock and fork upgrades, but for now your money will be best spent on track time. Just get out there and have fun :)

Might have a set of those gsxr750 calipers sitting in my bin of parts. Can help with install as well.

Frekeyguy,
How much would you want for the Calipers?
I am kind of on the fence as whether i want to spend or do to much more to the bike, i am hoping to maybe move up to Ninja ZX6R or a R6 next year.
I have already had new Springs and Emulators installed in the front, still have the stock rear shock. also changed the gearing on the sprockets to be more aggressive.

anyway let me know,
jason

Back
Top Bottom