Open letter to the young GSX rider who hit the Jeep on the 401 this morning | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Open letter to the young GSX rider who hit the Jeep on the 401 this morning

I admit I tailgate very closely some times before passing, but only when I am able to see the lights of a few cars ahead. #YOLO

Oh and WTF is up with riders cutting in the gap tractor trailers leave? They leave it because they NEED it.

I admit I tailgate very closely some times before passing, but only when I am able to see the lights of a few cars ahead. #YOLO

Oh and WTF is up with riders cutting in the gap tractor trailers leave? They leave it because they NEED it.

Nah brah... Icon Field Armour vest = good to go.

Nah brah... Icon Field Armour vest = good to go.
You seem very versed on this vest. I don't even know what the official name is

I was working at Inglis when they came out and were all the rage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It probably paid your wage. Don't be hating, bro

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Oh and WTF is up with everyone cutting in the gap anyone leaves? They leave it because they NEED it.
ftfy

If you don't have room to stop you could always lane split real quick. Coworker told me he has to do that from time to time. Personally, I just ride more carefully.

And re:brake times... Just subjective ********, but I swear I can scrub speed a lot faster on my bikes (SS but especially on my older beginner bike CBR125) than I can on my POS econobox. But that probably just means my car's brakes are garbage.

Or I am a rock star...
Literally every car I've owned has more than enough braking power to lock up the wheels. The difference is, if you lock up on a bike, you wipe out (unless you've got ABS).

Literally every car I've owned has more than enough braking power to lock up the wheels. The difference is, if you lock up on a bike, you wipe out (unless you've got ABS).

Or learn how to ride and you won't ever need ABS, unless your bike is pushing 200 HP. I've locked up my brakes, bike didn't fall over.. It's called emergency breaking lol.

Or learn how to ride and you won't ever need ABS, unless your bike is pushing 200 HP. I've locked up my brakes, bike didn't fall over.. It's called emergency breaking lol.

Why does power have anything to do with the need for ABS? I've locked up the rear several times without any issues (kinda fun actually). Locked up the front once and was on my *** in a blink.

That video is dated October 21 and is from a seperate incident

Huh? How does HP relate to ABS?

As to the learn to ride comment, lets try a test. We both go out on a rainy day, you with no ABS (as you "know how to ride"), me with my lack of skills and ABS. We ride to an empty parking lot. Because I don't know how to ride I'll go first. I'll accelerate to 60kph and simulate an emergency braking procedure. Some how, even though I don't know how to ride, I'll stop. You go next..... :)

Yes, when I went down due to locked brakes it was rain and about 4C out. Quite slippery.

Keith Code, and anyone else, will disagree. You may be able to stop as fast as ABS on a nice sunny day with lots of practise, or just playing around, but when you are the real world, with fluid on wet roads, gravel, road grime and you panic brake, you will either launch over the bars or lock the front and wash out. ABS in cars has made a real impact on accident rates. At Superbike schools, 75% reduction in crashes. Every summer, people die thinking they have the Mad Skillz to respond perfectly in a panic situation.

Code's schools dropped crashes 75%, even after switching to 193hp bikes. BMW has had such positive feedback from customers that they are retro-fitting cornering ABS in the S1000RRs and HP4s. That's a system were ABS is paired with lean angle.

http://www.ridergroups.com/402/keith-code-motorcycle-technology-can-save-your-life/

Last edited:
My next bike will have fuel injection and ABS. I think I'm ready to accept them newfangled 1970's technologies.

You'll have to pry the carbs and drum brakes from my cold, dead hands.

Huh? How does HP relate to ABS?

As to the learn to ride comment, lets try a test. We both go out on a rainy day, you with no ABS (as you "know how to ride"), me with my lack of skills and ABS. We ride to an empty parking lot. Because I don't know how to ride I'll go first. I'll accelerate to 60kph because my lawnmower doesn't go any fasterand simulate an emergency braking procedure. Some how, even though I don't know how to ride, I'll stop. You go next..... :)

You clearly didn't get what I was saying. If you knew how to ride, you wouldn't put yourself in a stupid situation in bad weather... Sometimes **** happens, but it's how you handle it. ABS is great, but who needs it more? Newb or someone who can ride?

As for me stating "you don't need it unless you have 200HP" is because nothing goes fast enough to not stop quickly enough, unless you are inexperienced and put yourself in a really dumb situation.

I will gladly do this test with you, it'll just take me a bit longer to stop and if it was on the road, I'd be leaving myself more then enough space to stop safely.

Let's go out on a dry day and I'll show you how my Brembo's work, okay?

You clearly didn't get what I was saying. If you knew how to ride, you wouldn't put yourself in a stupid situation in bad weather... Sometimes **** happens, but it's how you handle it. ABS is great, but who needs it more? Newb or someone who can ride?

As for me stating "you don't need it unless you have 200HP" is because nothing goes fast enough to not stop quickly enough, unless you are inexperienced and put yourself in a really dumb situation.

I will gladly do this test with you, it'll just take me a bit longer to stop and if it was on the road, I'd be leaving myself more then enough space to stop safely.

Making you stop faster is NOT one of the useful things ABS does

It is the sometimes **** happens that is the key point. You simply cannot eliminate all dangerous situations regardless of your experience or skill level. I'll give you an example. Riding home one day during a particularly strong thunderstorm. Riding westbound on the lakeshore under the gardiner. I come up to a section that is 25cm under water. I slow down and keep plenty of room between me and the car ahead of me. All of a sudden a car passes me to my left and cuts directly in front of me and slams on his brakes. I suspect he wants to turn at the next intersection. I need to stop/slow down rapidly. I grab a fistful of brake (ABS) and manage not to hit this guy. On a non ABS bike I suspect I would have either tucked the front end or rear ended the guy.

The confidence you have to take a bit longer to slow down or leaving yourself enough space is misguided. You can't always control your environment. You do understand taking longer in the braking test is tantamount to failing the test?

Even in a dry emergency braking test ABS can be helpful. On an unknown surface most people will take a few tries to maximize their braking whereas an ABS equipped rider just grabs a handful of brakes and holds on... :)

Back
Top Bottom