Anyone tried the Honda CBR500R yet? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone tried the Honda CBR500R yet?

I started on a 2013 CBR500RA(current bike) and I'm really happy with it. Since then I've test rode pretty much every type of sportbike and haven't been able to justify upgrading. This bike has great power for around the city and more than enough on the highway. It's comfortable, nimble, very smooth power curve, good mileage, and it looks great. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have :)

epena7um.jpg

If you get a chance yet the 500F... Best of both worlds

Thanks for the response everyone. I'm such a noob. I just did some research on the 600 and did not realize that the 600 is more powerful than the 650. I think the seller meant he should have bought a 650 instead of a 250?

To answer your question, I'm interested in using the bike for commuting to and from work (North York), to and from the gym (Whitby), meeting up with friends in the city (Scarborough), and running errands (bank, grocery, clinic, etc.) around Durham. Solo activities usually, with no passengers, because I've never been with a group. The 125 is fun around town, it's just that I cannot use it on the 401. Yes, I tried one time from Ritson to Harmony ramps and I almost had a heart attack when I saw an 18 wheeler getting bigger and bigger in my side mirror.

and not just because i have one. but the NC750 (x and s models) are perfect for what you want to do. Tons of torque... does not have the top end rush of other bikes but coming from the 125 it will seem super fast.
I did a somewhat long day trip last week of around 750km and it was comfy and was no problem riding it all day. Hwy speeds of average 140 with many times at over 160 kph.
The NC bikes are perfectly balanced and tho not super lightweight, the weight is low so it does not feel heavy. Has a longer wheel base compare to other sport bikes (typical 55in ..the NC is 60in)
so more comfy on long rides. Also has more upright ergo and knee bend is more relaxed. The MPG on the NC bikes is very good, it is about the same as i got on my former CBR250r

oh and they have built in storage. A 21L storage area located where the gas tank normally is.

Last edited:
I just bought a 500 and it's $550 for the year for that bike. I had a Daytona 675 prior which was about $1500 for the year. The CBR500 also can get 70mpg depending on your driving habits, compared to a 600SS that normally 30-40mpgs. I think the 650 is even more expensive the CBR600... didn't get a real quote for the 650 but a web quote and it was 2K+++ a year - not worth it if you ask me for insurance. Anyway I'm pretty excited, I'm picking the bike up this Saturday I'll let give you my impressions afterwards;)
I'd check with your insurance company what the cost would be for a 500 and 650. Then go check them out and see what fits you better.

Ask for a demo ride.

That way you can get a feel for power delivery for exit and on ramps and how stable they feel on the highway with large trucks etc.

I owned a ninja 500 and it was a great all round bike for what you describe. I think either a 500 or 650 would suit your needs well. Still light and nimble but a little better with highway stability at speed.

Report back your findings as it helps out other noobs too.

Cheers.

I agree with the one poster.

Check your insurance.
500 for me was about $1,200 for the year. Then 650f $2,300 the year.

Find a criteria that matters to you and go from there.

For me it was "Comfort,cost,insurance,aesthetics"

Shane

CBR650F is cheaper to buy and insure than a CBR600RRA -- I just went through that debate myself. End of day though, the 650 isn't a cheap bike to insure given its engine size. Again insurance is different for everyone, but here was the breakdown for me personally (32, male, full M, full G longer than I can remember lol):

2011 CBR250RA = $530/year
2014 CBR650F = $1200/year
2014 CBR600RR = $1700/year

As far as MRSP goes, the 650F was $9500 and the 600RRA $13000 so a big difference there.

For the OP though, if you are fairly new to this and coming from a 125, definitely look at the 500 because it's what I likely would have bought initially had it been out when I got started. The 650F is a great bike, but it's fairly large, heavy (460 lbs), and once it gets going it has almost the same potential to put you in a bad place as most 600cc bikes can. Honestly I can't even see myself using more than half of what that bike can do power-wise, without running in HTA 172 charges, as it can hit 90+ in 1st gear.

I written before about my experience with the 500R, so I'll sum it up: Neat little bike with more than enough power for GTA streets. Overall, though, I found it underwhelming and while it definitely helped in my beginning phase of riding, I continually found myself wanting more.

I bought a 2013 CBR500R this May as my first bike. I don't have any experience with other bikes to compare it to but found the bike to be smooth, comfortable and with sufficient power for city and highway driving. Although I haven't ridden on a 600RR, I did sit on one and it is a completely different feel than the 500R. The body position on the 600RR was much more aggressive whereas I find that the 500R strikes a nice balance between the super-sport and all touring bikes. The porridge was not too hot nor too cold, but just right :)

My only gripe with the bike is the exhaust note. I like how it burbles under engine braking but when cruising along it is a little anemic. I will likely be upgrading the exhaust at some point.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I am still a noob as I find myself making little mistakes almost every time I ride. I'm just glad I'm only on a CBR125R. So I am leaning towards a CBR500R for several reasons mentioned above. What's important to me are (in order):

1) affordable to own (buy, fuel, maintain)
2) affordable to insure
3) fun to ride
4) can be ridden on the 400 series highways
5) safe for a new rider

While my CBR125R satisfies all but #4, it will become a requirement in about a month when I get my M2.

I would strongly recommend ABS. It helps you with all of the painted lines/metal plates you find on the roads and the first time you avoid a crash, it more than pays for itself.

(Cue the ABS haters who can outbrake god himself while cornering through gravel)

I traded my wife's CBR125R for a 2013 CB500F this spring. She's absolutely delighted with it, it's all the bike she'll ever need. Plenty of power, easy and confidence inspiring handling. I had an experienced friend ride it last weekend. He really had to work to keep up with my Thruxton, but liked it, in any case. His biggest gripe was the quiet exhaust; he couldn't hear what was going on.

By the way, for owners of '13 R/X/Fs, make sure you get your recall work done.

If you can stomach the looks, don't forget about the Ninja 500 that is indestructable. Design/engine/nothing has changed much since it's inception in the late 80's aside from going to 17" rims--all through 2009 or so.

Cheap, great knowledge base on ex500.com, cheap to insure. Just not a "looker" by today's standard.

I would strongly recommend ABS. It helps you with all of the painted lines/metal plates you find on the roads and the first time you avoid a crash, it more than pays for itself.

(Cue the ABS haters who can outbrake god himself while cornering through gravel)

ABS braking while cornering through gravel = lowside.

Pretty sure ABS won't save you there.

To answer your question, I'm interested in using the bike for commuting to and from work (North York), to and from the gym (Whitby), meeting up with friends in the city (Scarborough), and running errands (bank, grocery, clinic, etc.) around Durham. Solo activities usually, with no passengers, because I've never been with a group. The 125 is fun around town, it's just that I cannot use it on the 401. Yes, I tried one time from Ritson to Harmony ramps and I almost had a heart attack when I saw an 18 wheeler getting bigger and bigger in my side mirror.

Ninja 300, and with the insurance savings, you can afford do do more life stuff.

ABS braking while cornering through gravel = lowside.

Pretty sure ABS won't save you there.

For any equivalent situation, ABS is better. You can lowside cornering on gravel with no brakes at all.
Let's a talk real world: panic stop on a perfectly sunny day, panic stop in rain, normal stop on wet road with a mix of fresh engine coolant, normal stop on sunny day on a greasy road with just enough AC condensation, etc etc.

Even at track days in perfect weather.

http://www.ridergroups.com/402/keith-code-motorcycle-technology-can-save-your-life/

So far this year, over 400 or our students have run 49,000 track miles at 4 tracks in 13 days of riding. The training was conducted in all sorts of weather, including rain, on our 2010 BMW S1000RRs fitted with Dynamic Traction Control and Race ABS systems. Yes, we run the first session in Rain Mode which limits the power output to “only” 150 bhp. After the first ride students are allow to go for the full power.

The bike provides an electronic cushion that forgives the rider some of the more common errors. This curtails panic; riders have that cushion and it provides time to gather themselves together before it escalates to out-of-control proportions. At the same time, NO, the bike cannot and will not forgive truly stupid riding.
Here are the results. Compared to the 600s we’ve used for the past 30 years; 12 million miles of track training; over 125,000 students; at 106 tracks around the world…our crash ratio has reduced by 400%. In real world numbers it looks like this: Last year we had 1.2 crashes per per school day average. This year so far, it’s down to a very convincing 0.3 per day.
Let me point out once again, bone stock, these bikes put out 193 bhp, add an Akrapovic pipe and that number is 204.5 bhp. Horsepower is not the cause of crashing and the S1000RR is the best high performance rider training aid ever invented. I rest my case.

It is complete bullsh-t that in Ontario, helmets are law, but ABS is optional.

Last edited:
^ or just buy a bike with proper tires. 190 > ABS

Sent from the future using my GOLDEN iPhone 30 SS n

He posted this thread before the mistake thread...

but yeah, if it's only been 4 weeks keep the 125. Finish the season on it IMO.

Agreed... x3

I would keep the 125 for the rest of the season and start next season with it. Then you might be able to find a used CB 500 series bike from someone moving on.

This thread is why I am such a fan of the Ninja 300 for a first bike. There is enough capability to meet someone's needs for a good while. I have ridden my buddie's 2013 Ninja 300 and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. It obviously does not have the power of my 750 but it is lighter and has much better brakes and handling.

Back
Top Bottom