Anyone tried the Honda CBR500R yet? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone tried the Honda CBR500R yet?

BrownBrady

Hello,
I am just about ready to upgrade from a CBR125R. I would like another CBR but not sure if I should go with a 250 or 500. The seller I bought my 125 from upgraded to a 250, and by the time I picked up the bike, he was already regretting getting the 250 and said he should have gone with a 600. The 600 is too much too soon for me I think, so I am leaning towards the CBR500R.

So has anyone tried the Honda CBR500R with and without ABS?

I rode one for a few minutes. It felt pretty anemic coming from a 600 but I'm sure if spent a few hours on a 250 or 125 then tried it, I would be impressed. Was comfy for sure. I can't comment on ABS because I never got to "test" that part if you know what I mean. Having is better than not I would presume.

Only you can determine what you want. A 600 is a completely different beast than a 250 or a 500 or even a 650.

If a 600 is appealing to you at some point, and you find yourself buzzing around on the 125 a lot more than enjoying it around town, I would recommend the 500 or a 650 offered from other brands.

Check out a demo and do some soul searching regarding what kind of riding you expect to be doing or wanting to do.

Try out the 250, 500, 600, 650 yourself.

2014 Demo Days
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?180271-2014-Demo-Days

Team Honda Powerhouse of Milton

Date
July 26, 2014
Milton, L9T 2Y5, Ontario
Hours
9am - 5pm

=======

Outdoor Event
Rock the Red - Central Zone

Date
August 10, 2014
180 Honda Boulevard
Markham, Ontario

=======

Brampton Powersports

Date
August 16, 2014
Brampton, L7A 1Y4, Ontario
Hours
9am - 5pm

Some of the things I'd consider? Any possibility of two up or commuting on the highway? If the goal was to have a 600 at some point, it think I'd check out a 500 or 650 that offers a good bump in power without it being overwhelming. Also, bikes in these categories generally have better ergos than most 600s that have a bit o a narrow focus. Not that a 600 can't do the things mentioned. Just going from a 125 to a 250 to eventually a 600 really might not be the ideal path.

Some of the things I'd consider? Any possibility of two up or commuting on the highway? If the goal was to have a 600 at some point, it think I'd check out a 500 or 650 that offers a good bump in power without it being overwhelming. Also, bikes in these categories generally have better ergos than most 600s that have a bit o a narrow focus. Not that a 600 can't do the things mentioned. Just going from a 125 to a 250 to eventually a 600 really might not be the ideal path.

Agreed... +1

I would check out the CBR500R and perhaps the new CBR650F, Ninja 650 etc.

Thanks for the response everyone. I'm such a noob. I just did some research on the 600 and did not realize that the 600 is more powerful than the 650. I think the seller meant he should have bought a 650 instead of a 250?

To answer your question, I'm interested in using the bike for commuting to and from work (North York), to and from the gym (Whitby), meeting up with friends in the city (Scarborough), and running errands (bank, grocery, clinic, etc.) around Durham. Solo activities usually, with no passengers, because I've never been with a group. The 125 is fun around town, it's just that I cannot use it on the 401. Yes, I tried one time from Ritson to Harmony ramps and I almost had a heart attack when I saw an 18 wheeler getting bigger and bigger in my side mirror.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response everyone. I'm such a noob. I just did some research on the 600 and did not realize that the 600 is more powerful than the 650. I think the seller meant he should have bought a 650 instead of a 250?

To answer your question, I'm interested in using the bike for commuting to and from work (North York), to and from the gym (Whitby), meeting up with friends in the city (Scarborough), and running errands (bank, grocery, clinic, etc.) around Durham. Solo activities usually, with no passengers, because I've never been with a group. The 125 is fun around town, it's just that I cannot use it on the 401. Yes, I tried one time from Ritson to Harmony ramps and I almost had a heart attack when I saw an 18 wheeler getting bigger and bigger in my side mirror.

My buddy bought a Ninja 300 last year as a first bike and he is able to use it on the highways without a problem. So, a CBR500R with the addition 15 HP (approx) would handle that even better. I think with your requirements the CBR500R would be a great next bike. :)

OP how long have you had the 125 and how long have you been riding? If you are a new rider I'd probably recommend the CBR500R, as the CBR650F has more than enough power to get you into trouble quickly if you don't know what you are doing. Still, test ride both bikes and other bikes too before making any decisions.

I bought the cb500x as my first bike and love it! I find it powerful enough but not at all overwhelming!! The 500 series is quite comfortable and easy to handle. Try one at a demo day. I bought mine without ever having been on it other than a showroom. I got lucky and love it.....no regrets. But a bike is a personal thing, buy for you, not for others and certainly not for an image....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 250 and was gonna go 500 and was told not to bother. I'm going to the 650f.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd check with your insurance company what the cost would be for a 500 and 650. Then go check them out and see what fits you better.

Ask for a demo ride.

That way you can get a feel for power delivery for exit and on ramps and how stable they feel on the highway with large trucks etc.

I owned a ninja 500 and it was a great all round bike for what you describe. I think either a 500 or 650 would suit your needs well. Still light and nimble but a little better with highway stability at speed.

Report back your findings as it helps out other noobs too.

Cheers.

BrownBrady, I would keep on the 125 until next season. Buy a used bike (Ninja 650, SV650) and after you learn how to ride that and feel the difference in power without spending a fortune on new bikes, then decide what you want after a few seasons. Styles change as you mature as a rider. PM me and I'll give you my number. I live 5 mins north of Whitby. I can help you out and teach you a trick or two.

I personally think everyone ditches their 125 or 250's too fast. I did 15,000 KM per season on a 125 CBR, rode highway all the time, even 2 up. Until you can lean it over all the way and hit the end of the rubber (there isn't much), then I'd keep it. No point going bigger if you're not using it to its full potential.

Oh, and no one flame me for saying that because none of us will max out a 600ss or a 1000ss. Marquez, Stoner, Lorenzo & Rossi or anyone from Moto GP aren't on this forum lol. I was talking about small displacement bikes. No point going bigger when you're scared of things in your mirror still. It takes time, you'll grow as a rider.

I agree that most people ditch them too fast, but I would say it depends on the person, maturity level, their prior experience on fast machines (bikes sleds), their goals (insane lean angles may not be one) etc.

I would say that IMO there is little point going from a 125 to 250 unless its strictly an around town bike.

Last edited:
I saw a mostly white with red and blue cbr 500. GORGEOUS. Too bad the rear tire is so small.

I have had my 2013 500r since last May, put about 15000km on it so far and i absolutely love it.
-its light 450lbs wet
-relatively powerful (not going to compete with a inline 4 ss)
-insurance is cheap (compared to ss)
-its just an absolute blast to ride.

this year with work and a move i haven't had much time to take it out (stored in parents garage) and have been thinking about selling it :(

i have tried both the cb500r and the cb500x and prefer the X - riding position makes a big difference and I definitely find it more agile

honda still has lots of demo days left this season including one on the 24th at dewildt honda

try them both out and find out which one you like best

Back
Top Bottom