RACE....Who's going July 19-21 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

RACE....Who's going July 19-21

Comparing the two track surfaces and saying GB is smooth??

Comparing a lap timer to full session timing??

:sad3:

Makes you wonder why this gizmo is so expensive ... and has a non-replaceable, non-user-serviceable battery! (although I understand that someone has figured out how to take apart a dead AMB transponder and replace the battery with a different one)

http://www.mylaps.com/en/products/bike-classic-transponder/174

Yep it's $50.

I'm assuming you ended up with a yellow transponder that's good for lower speeds. The top organizations use the AMB system. CSBK charges a rental fee the same as RACE. They've got a few thousand dollars invested, we can't expect them to eat that expense just for us to have fun.

Yes a lap timer is cheap however it's pretty hard to know what pace your competitors are running when they don't tell you or have their own. Not knowing that, how do you know if your on pace for 1st or 10th. I like to know if I need to push harder and find time in practice or if I'm running a decent pace.

Between the two tracks I've heard and felt there's more grip at Shannonville.

This isn't a thread intended to bash any organization, I'm just genuinely curious as to what makes people choose one over the other and have a seemingly negative view against RACE.

I think it may be just here as so many riders seem to gravitate towards SOAR. I also think it is history and location. RACE has been around for a long time, I find older riders know of it, whereas SOAR is relatively new, eg no one's dad remembers racing there. It's also an east vs west thing, most people who will go to racing/watching close to home. I'd not drive across the city to go to TMP but I would go to Mosport and even Shannonville

Yep it's $50.

... every weekend, unless you buy one, then it's $450.

I'm assuming you ended up with a yellow transponder that's good for lower speeds. The top organizations use the AMB system. CSBK charges a rental fee the same as RACE. They've got a few thousand dollars invested, we can't expect them to eat that expense just for us to have fun.

The yellow transponder is an AMB transponder. Yes, it's good for lower speeds (claimed 100 mph). Back when both RACE and VRRA implemented this system, the cost was a significant complaint, so VRRA tested the yellow ones and found that they worked at any track the VRRA went to (There is nowhere that the speed of crossing start/finish exceeds 100 mph), so ALL VRRA riders at the time got the yellow transponders. Now, 5 or 6 years later, not so much. The technical failure this past weekend did not involve the type of transponder ... the whole system was inoperative.

Yes a lap timer is cheap however it's pretty hard to know what pace your competitors are running when they don't tell you or have their own. Not knowing that, how do you know if your on pace for 1st or 10th. I like to know if I need to push harder and find time in practice or if I'm running a decent pace.

Good point.

Between the two tracks I've heard and felt there's more grip at Shannonville.

This isn't a thread intended to bash any organization, I'm just genuinely curious as to what makes people choose one over the other and have a seemingly negative view against RACE.

Main problem at Shannonville isn't lack of grip, it's getting the wheels to stay in contact with it long enough to use it :) Keep in mind that not everyone is riding something with upside down 43mm forks with Ohlins internals. My bike is firmly in the rightside-up damper-rod no-external-adjustments era. And before I hear "get a newer bike" ... you might wish to compare the number of total entries that the VRRA gets to the number that other organizations get. VRRA probably has more than RACE, SOAR, and the nationals combined ...

Newer racers (such as yourself) did not experience the accumulation of one "bad" / "dumb" thing after another that happened involving RACE and Shannonville (since they are effectively the same organization) over the last 15 years or so. Starting about 8 or 10 years ago, lots of us started wishing they had some competition ... and then they did, and as we all predicted, they did not react in a timely fashion ...

By the way I was told #17 Jamie showed no signs of a concussion and does have an upper arm break.

Used transponders pop up for $300-$350 all the time and the rental could be cheaper, I bought mine before my first race. I'm sure VRRA has no issues with not breaking 100mph down the back straight :) I know there's far more entrants to VRRA than either of the modern organizations and I wouldn't expect you or anyone else to upgrade your bike to suit a track however, I had no issues running oem components that weren't setup anywhere near correctly on a bone stock modern 600 my first season riding track and hitting 2:00 flat on long track. I thought I was going to need some super trick bike to start racing but that isn't the case, just about anything will get you around the track in novice/rookie.

I wasn't around when RACE had a monopoly on regional racing however I'm here now and can't find a single complaint to make. The weekend runs smooth, there's LOTS of practice time, and the staff/competitors are friendly.

So it seems driving through the city is the issue for most but funny thing is, it'll probably take you the same amount of time to drive to Shannonville as GB. Once you're past Whitby it's smooth sailing on the 401 for 1.5hrs, 2 if you stop for gas and food.

I used the AMB160 transponder for 4 years and it worked fine. This year it was hit and miss so I needed to get a new transponder.

I knew when I bought it that RACE recommended the 260 as the 160 broadcast signal is not as strong as the 260.

It boggles my mind that someone who is racing can say they don't care what their lap times are.

By the way I was told #17 Jamie showed no signs of a concussion and does have an upper arm break.

Yes that's correct, I talked to him last night.

Good, thanks for the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all depends on your race program and budget.

Tim I'm fairly sure if you were racing old junk forking out $400 on a transponder wouldn't be high on your priority list.

Racers race for different reasons, half the races I've entered I've started from the back of the grid on a Sunday. For me it's enjoyable starting way back and trying to work my way up, it's cost effective, my tire consumption is awesome. :)

It all depends on your race program and budget.

Tim I'm fairly sure if you were racing old junk forking out $400 on a transponder wouldn't be high on your priority list.

Racers race for different reasons, half the races I've entered I've started from the back of the grid on a Sunday. For me it's enjoyable starting way back and trying to work my way up, it's cost effective, my tire consumption is awesome. :)

Yah, ok that's fair.

What about people who aren't racing junk?

Back
Top Bottom