How many years of riding exp did you have before you learned how to wheelie? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How many years of riding exp did you have before you learned how to wheelie?

zx6rr

I've done stoppies before and find them safer and more comfortable to do on my K7 gixxer. This is only my second season riding and I'm struggling with getting the front up. I've only vaguely gotten the wheel up during very aggressive acceleration on a cool morning but am a little intimidated by how to stay "on" the bike while wheelieing.

I've already narrowed down one of my biggest problems to small hands.. I wear a size small glove.. which means I can't get the clutch to engage/disengage with one finger (because it isn't long enough). I have adjustable levers but even then it's uncomfortable.

Advice?

Don't do wheelies? Either that or maybe burp it then bounce it up, there are countless videos on YouTube...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I did one my first week of owning a bike.. That said I don't them anymore, just a dumb thing that will get u into ****.. Don't do wheelies? Either that or maybe burp it then bounce it up, there are countless videos on YouTube...

Dam phones...

Enjoy
[video=youtube;Dx4F94DnATY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4F94DnATY[/video]

even with forums and videos you're not going to be a wheelie expert....as long as you understand the concept of how to wheelie the rest is practice and seat time...some learn faster than others...but it's really all seat time

If you can do stoppies and think they are safer than wheelies......... Your probably not doing them right or maybe getting the rear off the ground an inch or 2.

First off, cover your rear brake!!!

You can either clutch them up or power them up. (I find clutching much easier and you can ride them out longer)
For clutch wheelies, If your not strong enough to pull the lever in with one finger, use your hand to squeeze and just release with one finger.
Start small and keep adding rpms everytime you try, at first it will just shoot forwards, but as you add rpms it will pop up. (Remember a 1/4 turned throttle at 10K rpms isn't as powerful as catching it at 6K rpms with WOT)<<< A mistake 99% make when learning.

Power up, you need to find the sweet spot in the power band, ride to that rpm and chop the throttle and bend down like your going to jump and give it WOT as you pull up on the handle bars. Becareful as this is harder to control than the clutch up and can loop it alot easier because of the amount of throttle you need to give it in order to come up.

Those are basics, beyond that is growing a pair and seat time. I practiced on my lunches at work here and there and after my balls dropped and didn't wuss out, I got the front up, It took less than a week to wheelie through first gear, a couple months later I could shift into second and do 2nd gear clutch ups.

Everyone is different, If your scared, your not going to do it and always cover the rear brake.

YUT UGHHHHH

Was only a few weeks after I got my bike and license until I tried it, I did it accidently once and it scared the **** outta me so then i learned HOW to do it, in the event that if it happened again I would be able to control it much better.

Thanks for the vid.. never seen that one before.. setting 5 and cover both brakes and then yeaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwww.. got it. Thanks

Quarter throttle up to 8000 rpm. As soon as you hit 8 chop throttle forks dive as the forks come back up open throttle back to quarter or so. Front will lift. With practice you then gently roll throttle open to keep front up, get near 12000 shift to 2nd again gentle throttle to 12000 shift to 3rd. This is straight power wheelie no 12 o'clock needed. You can also let the front boucne between 1st and 2nd this helps the front come up easily in 2nd. Also you can use any little bump in the road to blip the front up in 2nd. Same as before 8000 off throttle than back on as you hit bump. Practice makes perfect. The faster the front tire is turning the easier it is to steer while in the wheelie. Do not try to wheelie in a cross wind. It will end badly.

I learned how to wheelie on my 5th day of riding.

I also learned how to lowside a bike across an intersection for the amusement (and possible horror) of many onlookers 2 seconds later.

For the record the wheelie was not intentional, I'm really not interested in stunting. I stalled twice at the intersection on a left turn lane and inexperience combined with stress from ******** honking furiously made me forget to recheck what gear I was in before trying again. It had stalled twice because I was in second so when I gave it that extra gas to get it going it got going... up up and away.

Lesson learned, wish I had known about frame sliders prior to that incident though.

Quarter throttle up to 8000 rpm. As soon as you hit 8 chop throttle forks dive as the forks come back up open throttle back to quarter or so. Front will lift. With practice you then gently roll throttle open to keep front up, get near 12000 shift to 2nd again gentle throttle to 12000 shift to 3rd. This is straight power wheelie no 12 o'clock needed. You can also let the front boucne between 1st and 2nd this helps the front come up easily in 2nd. Also you can use any little bump in the road to blip the front up in 2nd. Same as before 8000 off throttle than back on as you hit bump. Practice makes perfect. The faster the front tire is turning the easier it is to steer while in the wheelie. Do not try to wheelie in a cross wind. It will end badly.

I would highly suggest learning clutch ups as power wheelies can be very unpredictable when coming up, once you get up you need to get off the throttle to prevent looping or chase the wheelie just to keep the front wheel up, where as clutch-ups you can pop to the height you need and feather the throttle from there. You can also do clutch ups at much lower speeds.
Also, forge about shifting gears when learning wheelies, that is once you can hit and stay at balance point, No point in learning to chase your wheelies, once you find balance point there is no need for shifting gears in a wheelie.

Untill you clutch up and over....

It's easier to get used to wheelies powering up IMO. Once you get used to the wheel being off the ground clutching it up is less terrifying.

I did my first wheelie at 7 or 8 within 10 minutes of being on my bike for the very first time.

Dad: Want to learn how to do a wheelie?
Me: Oh **** ya (probably didn't curse)
Dad: Rev it up in first gear and let the clutch out!(while stopped)
Me: Ok!!

It was a gutless rt100 that took off out from under me almost flipping it over but somehow I held on with my right hand only, legs flailing off the pegs for about 10ft. That was the last wheelie I did untill I was 13.

Untill you clutch up and over....

It's easier to get used to wheelies powering up IMO. Once you get used to the wheel being off the ground clutching it up is less terrifying.

I did my first wheelie at 7 or 8 within 10 minutes of being on my bike for the very first time.

Dad: Want to learn how to do a wheelie?
Me: Oh **** ya (probably didn't curse)
Dad: Rev it up in first gear and let the clutch out!(while stopped)
Me: Ok!!

It was a gutless rt100 that took off out from under me almost flipping it over but somehow I held on with my right hand only, legs flailing off the pegs for about 10ft. That was the last wheelie I did untill I was 13.

I just had food come out my nose. Lmao I did the same thing on a kx80 left an imprint in the ground with my ***.

I would highly suggest learning clutch ups as power wheelies can be very unpredictable when coming up, once you get up you need to get off the throttle to prevent looping or chase the wheelie just to keep the front wheel up, where as clutch-ups you can pop to the height you need and feather the throttle from there. You can also do clutch ups at much lower speeds.
Also, forge about shifting gears when learning wheelies, that is once you can hit and stay at balance point, No point in learning to chase your wheelies, once you find balance point there is no need for shifting gears in a wheelie.
I'm in cambridge now. So if u want to be passed in a wheelie at 260km/h just let me know:).

I'm in cambridge now. So if u want to be passed in a wheelie at 260km/h just let me know:).

I thought this thread was about a guy learning wheelies..... But somehow you managed to turn it into a d*** measuring contest......

Just becareful if you attempt that, those d***** vests don't hold up well.....

And remember to set your bike to the 1000cc setting

I just learned that my gsxr could possibly be a 600 AND a 750 AND a 1000! Wow I'm telling all my friends!!

Back
Top Bottom