883 Sportster compared to new Yamaha Bolt | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

883 Sportster compared to new Yamaha Bolt

ok, here's JUST last 5 years...

Harley-Davidson Recalls 111,569 Motorcycles
Thursday, December 10, 2009
Harley-Davidson is recalling 111,569 of its 2009-2010 touring motorcycles because of concerns over front fuel tank mounts.

Buell Recalls 2010 XB12Xs and XB12XTs
Monday, December 14, 2009
Buell has issued a recall for its touring machines the 2010 XB12Xs and XB12XTs due to the righthand side footpeg possibly being manufactured out of spec.

Harley-Davidson Recalls 250,000 Motorcycles
Monday, October 24, 2011
Harley-Davidson recalls more than 250,000 of its 2009-2012 Touring, CVO Touring and Trike models for rear brake issues.

Harley-Davidson VRSCDX Recall Notice
Friday, October 26, 2012
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recently issued a recall notice for all 2012 and some 2013 model year Harley-Davidson VRSCDX motorcycles due to a potential problem with the license plate mounting screws.

Harley-Davidson Recalls 2014 Touring Bikes
Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Harley-Davidson has issued a recall and Do Not Ride notice regarding 25,185 units in its 2014 touring motorcycles over potential issues with the hydraulic clutch system.

Harley-Davidson Recall Notice for 2014 Trikes
Monday, November 11, 2013
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has issued a recall notice for certain 2014 model-year Harley-Davidson Trikes.

Harley-Davidson Recalls 66,421 Touring Models
Wednesday, July 09, 2014
Harley-Davidson has issued a recall of its ABS-equipped 2014 Touring models, with the front brake line potentially pinched between the fuel tank and frame.''

Finally quantified by big data in Consumer Reports:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/business/200035711.html

"Consumer Reports says Harley-Davidson and BMW motorcycles are less reliable"

Harley-Davidson and BMW motorcycles are less reliable than Japanese competitors, according to the first-ever motorcycle reliability survey from Consumer Reports magazine.

About one in four owners of Harleys reported experiencing a major problem in the previous four years, Consumer Reports says in its report that will be published March 28.

BMW motorcycles were less reliable than Harley-Davidsons, with about one in three owners reporting problems in the previous four years. Only about one in ten Yamaha owners experienced issues during that time, followed closely Kawasaki and Honda.
"Reliability is one of many factors consumers might consider when purchasing a motorcycle. However, other factors like sculpted lines and rumbling engines also strike the right note among motorcyclists," said Rik Paul, Auto Editor, Consumer Reports.

Dunno how you couldn't find it, I guess you were using a Harley search engine.
Potato.

They just recalled 66,000 Harleys for pinched front brake lines.

Harleys are definitely affecting all motocyclists with a negative image of self-centred a-holes with straight pipes, which will just lead to motorcycle bans.

There are good reasons why stuff like this exists:

[video=youtube;xGyKBFCd_u4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGyKBFCd_u4[/video]

You're right, I'm deeply concerned how I'm portrayed in an American cartoon. I'll sell my bike immediately. Any suggestions as to what I should buy? I want to make sure it meets with your approval and not negatively affect you.
Seriously, Ray, think about it for just a minute. ALL brands and styles of bikes have their good and bad, as do their riders. Loud pipes are seen negatively by the non-riding public and so are the sportbike jockeys who do +170kph on public roads and smear themselves into the six o'clock news. And the dirt riders who tear up posted land, the scooters who park on the sidewalk, the supermotos who wheelie, etc., etc. Heck, anyone who doesn't ride and reads some of the stuff here would assume motorcyclists (and Harley riders, since you like to differentiate) are just a bunch of bitter, shallow cranks hurling childish insults at each other. You gonna rail against all of them too? We can only control our own actions and behaviours; getting worked up to a lather about others seems strange to me, but to each their own.
Ride safe, Ray, and if you see a black Heritage with quiet pipes (and lots of miles on it) and the rider waves, it's probably me.:)

You're right, I'm deeply concerned how I'm portrayed in an American cartoon. I'll sell my bike immediately. Any suggestions as to what I should buy? I want to make sure it meets with your approval and not negatively affect you.
Seriously, Ray, think about it for just a minute. ALL brands and styles of bikes have their good and bad, as do their riders. Loud pipes are seen negatively by the non-riding public and so are the sportbike jockeys who do +170kph on public roads and smear themselves into the six o'clock news. And the dirt riders who tear up posted land, the scooters who park on the sidewalk, the supermotos who wheelie, etc., etc. Heck, anyone who doesn't ride and reads some of the stuff here would assume motorcyclists (and Harley riders, since you like to differentiate) are just a bunch of bitter, shallow cranks hurling childish insults at each other. You gonna rail against all of them too? We can only control our own actions and behaviours; getting worked up to a lather about others seems strange to me, but to each their own.
Ride safe, Ray, and if you see a black Heritage with quiet pipes (and lots of miles on it) and the rider waves, it's probably me.:)

You ride a HD? I don't believe it! Lol. Your post is too rational.

Have a great weekend folks!

Stay safe and keep the rubber side down.

Cheers.

It's too bad the good guys get caught up in all the HD negativity. They must be the 1%ers I keep hearing about? Anyway it makes me chuckle thinking of the upcoming antics at the annual Tobermory ferry crossing. As sure as the sun rises everybody plays to type. It's uncanny.

I owned and operated a '99 XL1200S Sportster Sport for the last fourteen years. I sold it and bought a Heritage Softail - although I had a touring seat and backrest, the Sportster was a little too small (physically) for two-up cruises.

I love my new barcalounger, but now appreciate the Sportster more for it's raw basic ride and streetability in urban traffic. Of course, you have to do some exhaust, intake, and tuning to free it up from the stock emissions-legal configuration. The Sport model had compression, rebound, and preload adjustment at both ends and I put forward controls on to stretch my legs and avoid knee cramp. i never got around to changing the handlebars - they were a little bit of a stretch forward for me (BTW, I'm 5'8", 185lbs).

I'm not sure how this compares to the 883, but if my budget ever permits, I would buy a used 883. , pre 2003 rubber mount, and put a 1200 kit on, freshen up the suspension, change the handlebars, and put a single seat on - almost a bobber.

The Sportster is all steel (except fuel hoses, wiring, tires, seat) and gives a raw riding experience. On the solid-mount bikes, vibration is a feature not a defect. Which reminds me of my favorite poem:

Plastic fenders, plastic tank,
Plastic pistons, plastic crank,
Rubber tires, plastic belted,
Kicked it over,
Damn thing melted...

Different strokes for different folks to be certain.

It's easy to point out defects in anything. A few things about HD? Most of the major components are made in North America. The bikes are assembled in North America. The paint and materials are top quality. As mentioned, they use steel where a lot of others go plastic to keep costs down.

The price points for most models are very competitive.

So, HD does provide good paying jobs to suppliers and it's workers and they provide products for the market they target.

Not bad in my book.

So are they over priced and under powered? Maybe.

But I can also say that the majority of HD owners I know will do anything to help out a fellow rider without blinking an eye. The demographic is huge. Docs, lawyers, bankers, dentists, Mechanics, welders, you name it. Sure some are over the top. But I can say the same for any brand.

It's your ride. You decide.

Last edited:
You hate Harleys like I hate Nickelback.

Hate this, hate that, hate them, basically another guy with self-esteem issues. Maybe you and CafeRay can form a support group...

I did not read the whole thread, but I vote for solid reliability = yammie

This thread is missing a pesky west coast opinion.

Indeed. I think we could all benefit from Mighty Mike's thoughts on this, as well.

Hollllaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

I ride a honda, I love my honda. It's a CB500x. This weekend I had the chance to ride my buddies iron 883 in Alabama. One hour of riding on hills with one twist after another. I actually quite enjoyed the ride. While the position is quite different than I'm used to, it was very comfortable! Acceleration was quick, shifted easily and was fun to ride. I had a good lean on and even scraped the pegs a few times! Overall I would rate it 8/10. Not my first choice in a bike, but I would consider it as a second bike! My advice as a new rider is to get out there and ride. Demo what you are interested in and love what you ride!

Hey Folks, I have a need to pipe with these Harley Discussions..

I have a 98 883 sportster, I am on my 3 season. Bought my bike with 10.5K km as the 5 th owner, was a family bike for the first 3 owners for the first 2 years, previous owner had for 3 years..
I did the stage one upgrade myself, rejetted carb, high flow K&N air filter, V&H exhaust... took about 3.5 hrs on driveway. Find it very easy to work on for basic maintenance -primary/engine oil changes. Most regular maintenance is well documented on forums and you tube. Essentially, I felt metric bike depreciated too much and were over priced used based on kelleys blue book values..

I know 34 + k on it = 24K . The biggest failure I had was when I reinstalled battery 2 years ago, didnt tighten leads to terminal battery died but recovered with tender-self induced... On second set of metzlers.. Typically I ride to Bruce Peninsula and cruise around on county roads. On a real ride I generally do between 300 to 700km in a day depending on my time to ride... end up with a sore backside no different than driving a few hours.

I find its acceleration and handling in the city and 80km/hr adequate, 400 series highway it it weak for acceleration over 110kmh (I must admit it tops out at 135kmh downhill and wind at back not a pleasant and enjoyable experience) 110kmh it is ok... It is a nimble bike for city.

I did try a 2013 sportster 48 1200.. found it lacking in acceleration - felt gutless, had to rev it and look at tach as I could not tell if it was running. No harley shake. I admit I could not get the hell off it fast enough... I would not take the bike if it was given to me! I began to appreciate my 883... I get about 3.5L/100km with a light throttle and 4.5 when I push it at 100km/hr and higher/play jack rabbit/rev at lights..

As for comments of other riders, I usually get the "when are you getting a real Harley?" and "chicks bike" This usually happens at the 4 hour mark of my ride, around 11am at either tims or McDs, from a another Harley rider (usually a street glide or ultra) rider who pulls up in shorts and sandals who rides to get his coffee and goes home.. I just smile and nod as I ask about their rides more like a lack of them...

Rider size may be an issue - over 6' and more than 250lbs it will feel gutless and be uncomfortable with legs. Two up is not pleasant, braking is longer and harder with acceleration a challenge. Bearable in the city for a few 5km..

terfed

Hey Folks, I have a need to pipe with these Harley Discussions..

I have a 98 883 sportster, I am on my 3 season. Bought my bike with 10.5K km as the 5 th owner, was a family bike for the first 3 owners for the first 2 years, previous owner had for 3 years..
I did the stage one upgrade myself, rejetted carb, high flow K&N air filter, V&H exhaust... took about 3.5 hrs on driveway. Find it very easy to work on for basic maintenance -primary/engine oil changes. Most regular maintenance is well documented on forums and you tube. Essentially, I felt metric bike depreciated too much and were over priced used based on kelleys blue book values..

I know 34 + k on it = 24K . The biggest failure I had was when I reinstalled battery 2 years ago, didnt tighten leads to terminal battery died but recovered with tender-self induced... On second set of metzlers.. Typically I ride to Bruce Peninsula and cruise around on county roads. On a real ride I generally do between 300 to 700km in a day depending on my time to ride... end up with a sore backside no different than driving a few hours.

I find its acceleration and handling in the city and 80km/hr adequate, 400 series highway it it weak for acceleration over 110kmh (I must admit it tops out at 135kmh downhill and wind at back not a pleasant and enjoyable experience) 110kmh it is ok... It is a nimble bike for city.

I did try a 2013 sportster 48 1200.. found it lacking in acceleration - felt gutless, had to rev it and look at tach as I could not tell if it was running. No harley shake. I admit I could not get the hell off it fast enough... I would not take the bike if it was given to me! I began to appreciate my 883... I get about 3.5L/100km with a light throttle and 4.5 when I push it at 100km/hr and higher/play jack rabbit/rev at lights..

As for comments of other riders, I usually get the "when are you getting a real Harley?" and "chicks bike" This usually happens at the 4 hour mark of my ride, around 11am at either tims or McDs, from a another Harley rider (usually a street glide or ultra) rider who pulls up in shorts and sandals who rides to get his coffee and goes home.. I just smile and nod as I ask about their rides more like a lack of them...

Rider size may be an issue - over 6' and more than 250lbs it will feel gutless and be uncomfortable with legs. Two up is not pleasant, braking is longer and harder with acceleration a challenge. Bearable in the city for a few 5km..

terfed

The 883 gear ratios are better for stop light acceleration over the 1200. I'd take a stock 1200 over an 883 any day of the week. The "modern" Sporty with rubber mount engine and proper set up isn't too bad two up. Just needs the right seat and shocks for the job. Mind you the missus doesn't enjoy the highway much more than 30 minutes but, that has more to do with the lack of wind protection. And of course, it depends on the size of the rider and passenger. I'm just 5'8", 185 lbs, the missus is 5'4" and 115 lbs.

Disclaimer, I am not a Harley person. But, I have ridden one just to see what they are all about, and it was a brand new 883 Sportster on a demo ride many, many years ago.

My words to the sales person who received us after the demo ride: "Worst piece of junk I have ever ridden." I have yet to see anything to make me reconsider that opinion.

There are newer Harleys that I would certainly not mind taking a spin on (if perhaps not to buy one). All are variations of the V-Rod.

There are newer Harleys that I would certainly not mind taking a spin on (if perhaps not to buy one). All are variations of the V-Rod.

I think the LiveWire is the only interesting option. It is a shame the V-Rod was never packaged in a proper bike by Buell.
The company has a long history of track success (like 100 years), but they never really made a proper trackster. Stick a V-Rod in a trackster frame, with decent brakes and suspension, and the Harley Orange-back colors and I'm on that like a fat kid on a donut.
They kinda attempted this with the XR1200, but they shat out this instead..check that lean angle.

2008-harley-davidson-xr12-15_600x0w.jpg

The good news is that Harley sales are dipping due to demographics, and Wall Street has downgraded Harley because their customer base is literally dying off. The new CEO is reacting to this with some very interesting ideas.

Back
Top Bottom