Quebec driver who stopped for ducks guilty in fatal crash | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quebec driver who stopped for ducks guilty in fatal crash

gAbRoO

Site Supporter
I don't know all sides of the story but it looks like there are 2 sides at fault. Sadly, the motorcyclist and his daughter didn't walk away alive :(

This is so sad.

Thing I dont understand is 2 cars made it around the stopped car then the dude on the bike plows right into the back of her, seem like he was not paying attention??

Thing I dont understand is 2 cars made it around the stopped car then the dude on the bike plows right into the back of her, seem like he was not paying attention??

Ever been behind a car that swerved around some roadkill at the last second and you end up going right through it because you couldn't see it until the guy ahead of you swerved? That's how

Good verdict, I applaud the jury for their correct, non-bleeding-heart decision. Hopefully this will send a message to other would be duck saviors who are thinking of stopping in a live lane on a highway.

Good verdict, I applaud the jury for their correct, non-bleeding-heart decision. Hopefully this will send a message to other would be duck saviors who are thinking of stopping in a live lane on a highway.

Amen.

Sent from my iPhone while riding my bike one-handed

So the car is expected to plow through the ducks, possibly damaging their car. Ok, I can accept that, since there's 4 wheels, chances are that's the most prudent thing to do. Now what if a motorcycle faced such a hazard? It's clearly *less* safe to try and squash some animals with your 2 wheels.

So the car is expected to plow through the ducks, possibly damaging their car. Ok, I can accept that, since there's 4 wheels, chances are that's the most prudent thing to do. Now what if a motorcycle faced such a hazard? It's clearly *less* safe to try and squash some animals with your 2 wheels.

Or, you know, PULL OFF THE HIGHWAY.

You should move to the Southern US, you would LOVE it there.

Are you for real? You'd stop your motorcycle in a live lane of a highway just for some ducks?

Slow down as best you can, avoid the ducks as best you can, and speed back up.

What this woman did was completely retarded. Criminally negligent, in fact.

Are you for real? You'd stop your motorcycle in a live lane of a highway just for some ducks?

Slow down as best you can, avoid the ducks as best you can, and speed back up.

What this woman did was completely retarded. Criminally negligent, in fact.

on the other hand, what if the vehicle had a mechanical failure and stopped? Following drivers are supposed to leave safe distance and speed to stop in an emergency..of course, no one does this.
If you have a mechanical problem on the 400 North, you are as good as dead, because one-hand-on-the-timmies Dougie in his F250 is coming up at 150.

Criminal negligence causing death carries a maximum life sentence while the charge of dangerous driving causing death comes with a maximum of 14 years in jail. Czornobaj has no previous criminal record.

Am I the only one to think that the penalty is too much?

on the other hand, what if the vehicle had a mechanical failure and stopped? Following drivers are supposed to leave safe distance and speed to stop in an emergency..of course, no one does this.
If you have a mechanical problem on the 400 North, you are as good as dead, because one-hand-on-the-timmies Dougie in his F250 is coming up at 150.

Necessity. A breakdown is unavoidable, you have to stop your vehicle and do your best under the circumstances to get it off the road..

Ducks? Uh... yeah.

Am I the only one to think that the penalty is too much?

Those are maximums. And no I don't think they're too much. Certainly this woman won't get anywhere near the max, nor should she.

She was never going to hit the ducklings. They were on the side of the road, up against the concrete barrier. I believe she actually stopped after the ducklings and ran back to them. Her chasing after them porbably endangered the ducklings more so than if she left them be.

+1

Even the shittiest car on the road has the ability to pull 1G decel while under emergency braking, and the emergency braking attempts on motorcycles vary between .4Gs - 1Gs, without any consistency, due to tire temp, road condition, reaction time, rider skill.

In a scientific report I've read (link coming), it was concluded that a motorcycle should be following at highway speeds at closest 4-5seconds behind a car.

Can any of you seriously tell me that you'd stop your vehicle here for some ducks?

If my car broke down and I was forced to stop in this position on that road, I'd be crapping my pants the entire time. This is suicidal.

emma-czornoba-car.jpg

Back
Top Bottom