Anyone ridden 560 (west from New Liskard) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone ridden 560 (west from New Liskard)

dirtbag

In a couple weeks we're headed to Thompson Manitoba and my buddy wants to take 560 to avoid some transcan.

I'm interested in 560 west to the Sultan Industrial road and then west to 667 and eventually Chapleau. The Sultan Industrial road is a private road with public access. Google maps only shows the entrance to it. It's gravel but I'm wondering what the condition that gravel is in - we're all on street bikes.

Thanks

I haven't ridden it, but you've now sparked my interest in riding it.

From what I can find out on the internet, people have been pushing to have it upgraded to a provincial highway and have it paved as it saves an hour of transport time between Sudbury and Wawa.

I found one video of a portion of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43_8bL_20qg
I would definitely give it a go on the Wee-strom, not sure if I would with a bike that doesn't have some protection against rocks, etc, especially when you stand a good chance of a logging truck coming at you at 110kph.

If you take this route, keep us updated as to the conditions.

Edit: It was closed back in May due to flooding: http://www.wawa-news.com/index.php?...a-hwy-667-closed&catid=128:weather&Itemid=151

The MTO or OPP might have some information regarding whether it has been reopened.

Edit again: at least as recently as 2010 it was a well maintained road that riders claim a goldwing or burgman could do it -- so maybe no issues at all with your streetbikes: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558671

Last edited:
I have ridden the 560. It's a beautiful road with really nice pavement and great big sweepers. I rode it between New Liskeard and Hwy #144 which is about 140km. If you are going up that way, I would certainly recommend it.

We were going to ride the Sultan Road, but we were a bit short on time. The guy I was riding with has been on it many times and said it is a well used gravel road. He cautioned me about the big logging trucks that frequently use it and the amount of large wildlife that cross the road. He also said it was very hard packed gravel and it is totally fine for street bikes, unless people are worried about paint chips on lower fairings. I was going to ride it on my V-Strom with a rear street tire and a front knobby. I also rode another 82km gravel road called Ranger Lake Rd #556 which connects the #129 and Searchmont Resort - this was a fantastic road, if you like twisty hard packed gravel.

Thanks. Google street view shows 560 as being paved but I was concerned about the Sultan road. Glad to hear the gravel is good - not so keen on the logging trucks. If New Liskard to the 144 is only 140kms then the Sultan road must be under a 100. Piece of cake.
When we rode up to James Bay we took a detour out to East Main to see a buddies great x5 grandfather's grave where he was buried almost 200 years ago. That was 100kms one way. The gravel was good and we easily managed 80-100kph.

dirtbag, did you ride this road? How is the Sultan road?

Shane
I was going to ride it on my V-Strom with a rear street tire and a front knobby.

That's an interesting combo.....good directional control and not so fast wear on the rear.....was that accidental combo???

I'm now a big fan of a knobby on the front of the KLR ( 606 ) but might put something less aggressive on the rear 50/50 or some such as I don't do deep mud or sand.

Not accidental - I was given a pair of brand new TKC80's to try out for free. I used them and the rear wore out pretty fast. Since I still had lot's of life left on the front, I put a 1/2 used Metzler Tourance on the back which I had laying around so I could get even wear. The TKC80's were great tires - not too long lasting, but excellent grip on pavement and so much better in the gravel/dirt. The combo of having a knobby on the front and street tire on the rear was really good, which I would do more often if I was on soft ground more often.

Back
Top Bottom