Best time to try highway riding? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best time to try highway riding?

Shane.Nicholson

Site Supporter
Got my m2 paperwork in today, have my temp GM2.

What's a good time during week or time during weekend. Or day for that matter.
That is best to do the first highway ride and other practice rides?

I realize around 3-6 p.m. is bad for rush hour.
Any other times, definitely not suggested?

I can't say I'd recommend a specific time but I can recommend a highway to practice on. Maybe 1ish? A lot of transport trucks will be using the highway at this time, however.

Go from rutherford onto the 400 southbound to Highway 7. It's an emptyish stretch of road where you don't have to merge into traffic per se because there is no lane ending.

You can use this stretch of road to get used to speeds of 100kmh and cross winds and all the other fun stuff you have to deal with on the highway

Then when you're ready maybe just ride around on the 400 or the 401 for a bit so you can get comfortable with merging and lane changes on the highway.

Sunday 10am-3pm

I wouldn't do it in rush hour (morning or evening) and would also try to avoid Sunday evenings due to returning cottage traffic. If you were to go out real early on a Saturday or Sunday, or a weekday in the late morning/early afternoon it would probably be the lightest.

As for riding on the 401...meh, 100km/h is 100km/h and so forth, so if you have done similar speeds on other roadways it isn't a big deal. imo I find it boring but safer when commuting, as everyone is going in the same direction and there's no chance of a left-turn in front of you or someone darting out of a plaza without looking.

Early morning on the weekend, I work at all hours on different days and that's usually the best. By the afternoon though it's usually just like any other day.

I typically practice at around 6-10am, depend on when I wake up, it is usually pretty dead, anytime at lunch time or so the road gets more busy as I guess people are looking for food? I go on the 404 in the morning very quiet.

I hit the DVP by accident after getting my GM2.... Was lovely. I was freaked out which is unfortunate as it wasn't such a big deal. So keep that in mind when you go just relax and be safe and you're good.

Honestly any work day after 9pm seems fine to me... If you want pure daylight I would do around 1pm as well. Just avoid certain areas. There's a lot of construction on the 401 which means delays and cut up roads in prep for paving, not very fun to ride on.

You're in Mississauga so the 403 would work off hours. If you don't feel comfortable there are lots of exits.
If you won the lottery the 407 is less chaotic, around $0.25 / Km + photo fee.
The 410 northbound in the AM, southbound in the PM.

I've always found the hardest part of highway riding is getting comfortable with a lane choice. In the left lane you have to be doing 130 Kph or you get tailgated.

In the right lane you are behind slow moving transports and vehicles with unsafe loads. You get cut off when people suddenly realize it's their exit.

Many people feel more comfortable in the centre lanes but there is no blocking position. With no blocking position there is a tendency to ride the centre of the lane rather than a right or left track. More crap on that part of the road and encroachment comes from both sides.

Go on a Saturday morning across the 403 and up the 410. 410 turns into 10 and takes you to forks. :dontknow:

Go on a Saturday morning across the 403 and up the 410. 410 turns into 10 and takes you to forks. :dontknow:

Excellent suggestion!

If you live in Mississauga, you should go from 7PM-10PM on the 403 or 401, there's very light traffic around that time. +1 on taking the 403 to the 410 to forks of the credit, but if you're going to FotC, ideal time is around 11AM-2PM.

My advice will be to start with country road highways (non-400 series) and get used to the speed, gear shifting, merging and passing. Once you feel comfy, pick any of the 400-series. try to hop on early saturdays & sundays, in between 6am & 9am. That'll give you a solid 3 hr window with daylight and some traffic. Then after that, you can gradually venture into rush hours, weekends included. Good luck!

You're in Mississauga so the 403 would work off hours. If you don't feel comfortable there are lots of exits.
If you won the lottery the 407 is less chaotic, around $0.25 / Km + photo fee.

There is no photo fee (video charge) as motorcycles don't require transponders... But 407 is very expensive now

There is no photo fee (video charge) as motorcycles don't require transponders... But 407 is very expensive now

If you call and get your motorcycle plate added to your account there is no video fee, otherwise there is.

If you call and get your motorcycle plate added to your account there is no video fee, otherwise there is.

Do I need a transponder for my motorcycle?

You are not required to lease a transponder for your motorcycle. Motorcycles are not subject to Video Toll Charges. However, you will still be responsible for the toll portion of your trip.

Information direct from 407 website.

http://www.407etr.com/help/faq.html

For practicing...

401? Never a good time.
404 isn't a bad idea. 409 during non rush hours could work too. 407 during pretty much any time would be nice, it is pretty much Kramer's highway.

Absolute speed doesn't have much to do with it (although they're all 100kph anyway), but the amount of traffic to keep track of will vary hugely. Not to mention on the 401 or 403 you can have some pretty severe differentials in speed between lanes.

I guess none of you guys work night shifts. The best time any day is 10 pm- 6 am.

got my m2 paperwork in today, have my temp gm2.

What's a good time during week or time during weekend. Or day for that matter.
That is best to do the first highway ride and other practice rides?

I realize around 3-6 p.m. Is bad for rush hour.
Any other times, definitely not suggested?

1am-4am

I guess none of you guys work night shifts. The best time any day is 10 pm- 6 am.

It's been a while since I've had occasion to use it in the wee hours, but the 401 was either filled with traffic or construction depending on the hour, never empty. Definitely is still hopping @ 10pm... plus not the best time for a new rider to be practicing anyway

Back
Top Bottom