Common Model Problems Thread | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Common Model Problems Thread

I thought the problem was a chemical reaction, between ethanol and polymers used in the fabrication of the tank. Not expansion/contraction due to temperature.

There is a known problem of fiberglass tanks with polyester resin reacting with ethanol and leaking. Some makers in Europe had an issue with nylon tanks leaking due to ethanol. This was the subject of a class action lawsuit. Why did they use nylon? CHEAP. Despite their prices.

http://www.deformedfueltanks.com/

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but some of these European brands are simply not reliable to Japanese standards and run very expensive to maintain.

Ducati owners in Britain were furious on older 900 models when it was figured out that the factory Desmo valve spacers were purposely made of soft metal to make sure they didn't last that long. Aftermarket suppliers started making spacers that lasted twice as long. Now, Ducati specs longer valve service intervals. Every model has issues with those ******* Marelli electrics.

Ducati suggests not using ethanol. A simple Google search suggests that even if it doesn't make sense it's actually an issue for plastic tanks. Bikes such as the 848, street fighter and monsters use plastic tanks. The ethanol can deform the tank over time and cause issues.

You would think that the factories would have checked this before selling plastic tanks. This tells me they never tested the bikes in North America. Interestingly, they refused warranty claims, hence the lawsuit.

Sorry , but this is amateur hour on a $25K bike.

[video=youtube;1UgkqKjngcc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UgkqKjngcc[/video]

That's it! Thanks for finding that website and sharing the link. Good explanation with some pictures. Kind of shocking; it was a known issue to manufacturers in 2007, but they still kept making them the same way and selling them. Shame!

So does anyone know if this has been rectified across the board by all manufacturers? For say 2012 and newer?

That's it! Thanks for finding that website and sharing the link. Good explanation with some pictures. Kind of shocking; it was a known issue to manufacturers in 2007, but they still kept making them the same way and selling them. Shame!

So does anyone know if this has been rectified across the board by all manufacturers? For say 2012 and newer?

The fix is the same tank replaced, but only for a few years. Ducati typically responds this way to quality issues: va fungul.

Newer bikes don't use the same polymer.

"...Build-quality isn’t up to the exacting standards of a Honda, Ducati, Aprilia or Yamaha...

So Honda, Ducati, Aprilla and Yamaha, have higher build standards then Suzuki? Whaat? I wonder how we'd find out what makes their build standards better?

Bike: SV650 (2nd Gen)

Symptom: Complete loss of electrical power, sometimes momentarily, sometimes completely

Cause: The main ignition power runs through a green connector under the tank, in front of the airbox. This pin starts to arc, causing the pin and connector to burn and melt. Eventually the problem gets bad enough that the connection fails open and disconnects all electrical power to the bike.

Hazard: Losing electrical power in a turn can (and likely will) cause you to crash. A guy on the SVRider forum broke his leg after the electrical power died on his SV during a corner. The bike fell, he slid into a curb.

Thanks for this it's so detailed! So what was the fix?

Don't some bikes have problems with physically expanding fuel tanks, due to ethanol in our gasoline? I think it could be some high-end European bikes (like Ducati and Aprilia)?

I could be wrong, and have no clue what I'm talking about. Just being a parrot.

<runs for cover!>

Edit: I am actually curious about this, as I've started considering my next bike. Leaning towards standard/naked and do like some Ducati's and the Shiver 750, among many many others.

You are correct.

The Duc Sport Classic line all had expanding tank issues. A class action lawsuit was filed: http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/11/19/Ducati.pdf

Also:
http://www.deformedfueltanks.com/

Buys a 2009 Ducati 1198S for $25k (USD). Deformed tank and leaking fuel after TWO MONTHS (or 2193 miles).

FML

Somebody's next bike won't be a Ducati

Buys a 2009 Ducati 1198S for $25k (USD). Deformed tank and leaking fuel after TWO MONTHS (or 2193 miles).

FML

..and the fix from Ducati is the exact same tank.

27963245.jpg

36,000km on mine and never anything spontaneous. There is "sort of" a false neutral but only from 1st to 2nd, but just not kicking it hard enough when shifting.

Same on my bike. 2002 Ninja 500. Happens proportionally more with the amount of eyes on me.

I've got a 2009 GSX-R600 with 25,700 km on the ODO... (I've owned it since 2011 when it had only 3,100 on it).
Only known issues are the rectifier and master cylinder issue which were both covered by recalls (100% resolved). So, make sure these have been done, otherwise, only money I have put into it have been for mods, oil, tires and a couple body screws that worked themselves loose over time. Done a couple 1,500 km tours of Algonquin and Manitoulin island and have never questioned it's reliability.

I know this is only one person's review, but, bike has been good to me.
I have an 09 gsxr750 with 45000km. And a 2010 gsxr 600 with 44000km. Both bought new. They have 6 calabogie days, a couple grand bend days, and 18ish TMP days. No issues with either one. The only complaint is they come with the footpegs in the worst spot of the three. Makes my hips sore. Drop them down to the lowest setting and problem goes away. Most gixxer riders don't even know they are adjustable lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for digging that up! Read through most of it - really explains the situation well. I'd be beyond angry if I were the plaintiff (or anyone else affected, for that matter) Mr Sugarman:

FML

He probably should have read the bike's manual first. The ethanol warning is right in there.

He probably should have read the bike's manual first. The ethanol warning is right in there.
Must be hard riding a Ducati. Gotta find non ethanol gas & gotta find a gas station every 150km

Back
Top Bottom