Common Model Problems Thread | GTAMotorcycle.com

Common Model Problems Thread

ariesmars

What's up GTAM?

Been a while since I last posted...Anyway, I'm in the market for a new ride. Whenever I see an interesting bike, I eventually run this search: [bike model] known issues/[bike model] common problems. I don't even know if I'm wording it correctly, but you know what I mean :). So, if you want to find common problems for a particular bike ask here, if you know some, post em. I think it'll help people.

I'll go first:

1. 2009 gixxer 750 K9 (it's being sold at a reasonable price.)
I couldn't find consistent problems with this model. Anyone?

2. 2009 zx6
I read about this models tranny problems and Kawi's tranny problems in general. Bikes sometimes spontaneously down shift, give false neutrals..

3. 2006 CBR 600RR
I know about this model's rectifier/regulator issue. It was a pain in the ***, this one.

So anyone know of any 09 gixxer 750 issues?

Thanks.

2. 2009 zx6
I read about this models tranny problems and Kawi's tranny problems in general. Bikes sometimes spontaneously down shift, give false neutrals..

Thanks.

What's up with Kawis & their trannies? Most people I speak to have had tranny issues

Britain's MCN collates this info on their used bikes reviews. Some problems we see here are not seen there because people abuse their bikes here in unique ways.

Those zx6s are famous for being tanks.

"Kawasaki has never had a problem with engine reliability or build quality and the Kawasaki ZX-6R is no exception. An MCN staffer who owned one of the original high revving ZX6-RRs says it never missed a beat despite its hard life. The Kawasaki ZX-6R feels well built and solid with attention to detail in the finish."

Those gsxr are also abused to hell around here, you need to find a mature owner.

"Suzuki motors tend to be bullet-proof and although the K8 Suzuki GSX-R750 isn’t yet old enough to have passed the test of time, you can be pretty sure it will handle years of screaming abuse. Build-quality isn’t up to the exacting standards of a Honda, Ducati, Aprilia or Yamaha; the paint finish is thin and easily scratched and corrosion will eat into the aluminium if not looked after. Avoid winter riding and the more pampering you can give it the better."

All are reliable bikes, but some glaring issues are sometimes fixed better with aftermarket upgrades.

Last edited:
What's up with Kawis & their trannies? Most people I speak to have had tranny issues

Google kawi 2nd gear issue. I've seen it twice on Kawi 600s, but I think it was just worn dogs as both those bikes were ridden hard.

Britain's MCN collates this info on their used bikes reviews. Some problems we see here are not seen there because people abuse their bikes here in unique ways.

Those zx6s are famous for being tanks.

"Kawasaki has never had a problem with engine reliability or build quality and the Kawasaki ZX-6R is no exception. An MCN staffer who owned one of the original high revving ZX6-RRs says it never missed a beat despite its hard life. The Kawasaki ZX-6R feels well built and solid with attention to detail in the finish."

I've got a 2009 GSX-R600 with 25,700 km on the ODO... (I've owned it since 2011 when it had only 3,100 on it).
Only known issues are the rectifier and master cylinder issue which were both covered by recalls (100% resolved). So, make sure these have been done, otherwise, only money I have put into it have been for mods, oil, tires and a couple body screws that worked themselves loose over time. Done a couple 1,500 km tours of Algonquin and Manitoulin island and have never questioned it's reliability.

I know this is only one person's review, but, bike has been good to me.

2. 2009 zx6

36,000km on mine and never anything spontaneous. There is "sort of" a false neutral but only from 1st to 2nd, but just not kicking it hard enough when shifting.

Bike: SV650 (2nd Gen)

Symptom: Complete loss of electrical power, sometimes momentarily, sometimes completely

Cause: The main ignition power runs through a green connector under the tank, in front of the airbox. This pin starts to arc, causing the pin and connector to burn and melt. Eventually the problem gets bad enough that the connection fails open and disconnects all electrical power to the bike.

Hazard: Losing electrical power in a turn can (and likely will) cause you to crash. A guy on the SVRider forum broke his leg after the electrical power died on his SV during a corner. The bike fell, he slid into a curb.

Google kawi 2nd gear issue. I've seen it twice on Kawi 600s, but I think it was just worn dogs as both those bikes were ridden hard.
I'm sure other bikes have been ridden hard. Most people who post about a transmission problem own a kawasaki. "most"

I live on Hwy 12. I would have to disagree as I hear street riders all day long shifting wayyy too early. How you can be chugging in 2ND gear across an intersection and think that is normal is beyond me.

Poor bikes!

I'm not sure if shifting early has to do with damaging the transmission. I would guess its not pulling in the clutch completely.

But people of all makes abuse their transmission. I highly doubt only kawi riders abuse their transmission

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Common problem when idiots redline in first too far down the road then drop it into second at the peak of torque. It's not an expensive fix to replace the cog.
But, 2nd gear jumping is common on all SS600s that rev up so quickly.

Bike: SV650 (2nd Gen)

Symptom: Complete loss of electrical power, sometimes momentarily, sometimes completely

Cause: The main ignition power runs through a green connector under the tank, in front of the airbox. This pin starts to arc, causing the pin and connector to burn and melt. Eventually the problem gets bad enough that the connection fails open and disconnects all electrical power to the bike.

Hazard: Losing electrical power in a turn can (and likely will) cause you to crash. A guy on the SVRider forum broke his leg after the electrical power died on his SV during a corner. The bike fell, he slid into a curb.

These bikes also had issue with shocks losing all dampening in 10,000km, 99-03.

I live on Hwy 12. I would have to disagree as I hear street riders all day long shifting wayyy too early. How you can be chugging in 2ND gear across an intersection and think that is normal is beyond me.

That won't harm the tranny. The damage occurs during engagement, not once engaged. People want to take a track bike and treat it like a drag bike, usually over-revving 1-2 shift, putting huge strain on second gear.

Don't some bikes have problems with physically expanding fuel tanks, due to ethanol in our gasoline? I think it could be some high-end European bikes (like Ducati and Aprilia)?

I could be wrong, and have no clue what I'm talking about. Just being a parrot.

<runs for cover!>

Edit: I am actually curious about this, as I've started considering my next bike. Leaning towards standard/naked and do like some Ducati's and the Shiver 750, among many many others.

Last edited:
This has definitely happened to me, and based on my research, other monsters (it is a sporadic problem with all monsters up to the 696, 796 and 1100 models). If you are not firm with the clutch, you will fall into a fall neutral. While not an uncommon problem with motorcycles (and not really a problem per se), the probability of false neutrals jumps in the higher gears (4th to 5th, 5th to 6th) if you are not firm.

Last edited:
That makes no sense, all fuel vaporizes with heat, and all tanks have vents.

I thought the problem was a chemical reaction, between ethanol and polymers used in the fabrication of the tank. Not expansion/contraction due to temperature.

Ducati suggests not using ethanol. A simple Google search suggests that even if it doesn't make sense it's actually an issue for plastic tanks. Bikes such as the 848, street fighter and monsters use plastic tanks. The ethanol can deform the tank over time and cause issues.

Back
Top Bottom