Anyone self employed with their fall arrest cert? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone self employed with their fall arrest cert?

peterm15

Exactly what the title says.
With the new laws I need my fall arrest again. But the courses im looking at all say "employer to give on-site training"

Seeing as I'm self employed thats a little tough for me as I don't have the cert. As well I dont see a point in paying 2k for the certification to give others certification. There seems to be courses that offer the cert for under $100 (50-100 actually) but I'm unsure wether these will be accepted on a job site.

What course did you take?
Was it online or in class?

Ive previously had fall arrest training, but that has long expired. Ive been working in harnesses for 15ish years so I know im safe, but with the new laws they are actually checking certs.

Thanks.

Exactly what the title says.
With the new laws I need my fall arrest again. But the courses im looking at all say "employer to give on-site training"

Seeing as I'm self employed thats a little tough for me as I don't have the cert. As well I dont see a point in paying 2k for the certification to give others certification. There seems to be courses that offer the cert for under $100 (50-100 actually) but I'm unsure wether these will be accepted on a job site.

What course did you take?
Was it online or in class?

Ive previously had fall arrest training, but that has long expired. Ive been working in harnesses for 15ish years so I know im safe, but with the new laws they are actually checking certs.

Thanks.

Try Brad or Lauren at act first safety (416-283-7233). I used them to get certs for our office, they came to us, but they also run courses at their office so they should be able to slot you in.

The way it was described to me was if you are wearing a harness, you should take a real course, if you are on a site but never have to wear a harness (ie. flooring installer) the online course should suffice. It is up to the discretion of the inspector (and/or site super) what they accept.

doesnt mean they arent doing great work. Sometimes they are a burden

A lot of times they are a burden. And that's not sour grapes. It seems all the safety rules are written to the lowest common denominator removing any personal judgement to a given scenario. Then you just end up hogtied, frustrated and ultimately slowed down. It's funny that any job you show up at is automatically behind schedule but you know it's actually behind schedule when the "safety guy" is nowhere to be seen.

Back
Top Bottom