insurance for an occasional driver | GTAMotorcycle.com

insurance for an occasional driver

Slick_Steveo

Site Supporter
Without going into all our family details, there are 3 vehicles, 3 fulltime drivers and 3 occasional drivers (under 21) listed on my policy. I am having an issue with my son's girlfriend, who is not listed on my policy. She seems to think that just because she is listed as an occasional driver on her mother's policy, she is covered to drive our vehicles also.

I don't really want to call my insurance company about this, but my understanding is, I can lend my car ( once in a blue moon) to another driver who is over the age of 25 and is listed as a primary driver on their own policy.

I laid the law down last night after I caught her driving the minivan and my son in the passenger seat....he said he forgot his wallet and therefore thought it was better she drove because she had her drivers license with her.

Any car insurance experts here?

maybe throw thi up in the insurance forum for best results?

my "I stayed at a holiday Inn Express last night" response is she would be covered if anything happened, but you are on the hook.

her insurance would not carry over unless they wanted to accept blame should something bad happen, but they (her and mother) are not obligated and honestly, do you think they would accept?

We fought this with our daughter who would always lend her car to or let her boyfriend drive her car (she was primary driver and it was her car). She has her own poor driving record, no reason to risk adding her boyfriends also poor driving record to her own problems.

I am sure you would get a more complete answer in the Insurance forum.

Does she live with you?

If no, It doesn't matter if she has insurance or not. She will be fully covered under yours. (Also, if she gets into an accident, your rates go up regardless of if she is insured on her mothers policy)

If yes, then she has to be listed as an occasional driver.

her insurance would not carry over unless they wanted to accept blame should something bad happen, but they (her and mother) are not obligated and honestly, do you think they would accept?

Pretty sure this isn't true, You can't pick and choose which insurance company you want to make pay, They can pay out of their pocket for the damage (If the person they hit is willing to accept cash), but they can't claim it on their policy

Does she live with you?

If no, It doesn't matter if she has insurance or not. She will be fully covered under yours. (Also, if she gets into an accident, your rates go up regardless of if she is insured on her mothers policy)

If yes, then she has to be listed as an occasional driver.

no, she does not live with us. Thanks Jeff, that is the info I was looking for...appreciated

Back
Top Bottom