Any riders gone vintage? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any riders gone vintage?

This is a buddy's 500 triple, he can still mix it up with the 600 sport bikes. (Street) so that's not so bad for a 70's vintage bike. CDI iggy though. :)

500race10inch.jpg

Just be aware that when you go vintage, you also have to dress like you're from the 60s. That's why all those dudes buzzing around town on old CBs wear costumes.

Cool bike for track days, but there's no place to race a turbo bike or a "vintage" bike with upside down forks. (... and I bet that bike is not REALLY any faster than a "Cooley fridge" or a done ELR, even with the GSXR oil-cooled motor).

If "vintage" bikes are so slow, how come I can pass so many moderns on my 40 year old 400cc bike?
Check out the Vintage Road Racing Assn. lap records
http://www.vrra.ca/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14811
Dave Roper did a 1:38 at Mosport on a 50 year old 500cc bike with a 120 rear tire and drum brakes front and rear. How many of you can do that on a modern?

I haven't "GONE" vintage.
I never left.
I am almost finished a '89 RZ350 (former Leitner and Bush RZ cup bike). Stroked 4mm, over bored 4mm, Banshee quad top end, 40mm TMX carbs, custom pipes, modified frame to mimic the geometry of 2006 CBR600RR, RaceTech suspension from a '89 GSXR750RR endurance racer. 300 lbs and about 100hp, better power to weight ratio than a modern 600.

Bitzz - I'm REALLY interested in seeing some pics of your RZ project.

Send me a PM if you don't want to
post. That sounds pretty awesome.

Been there and gone back... and going back again, probably.

In terms of performance I'm not looking for something that'll match a modern bike. I just want to use it to cruise around leisurely with style and comfort but not want it to be a pain to start up every time I want to ride or maintain and break down on the side of the road.

Are there more modern bikes with kind of that vintage CB look? (like the '14 CB1100 but not that new)

I also just discovered the existence of the Yamaha bolt which also looks nice.

Have a look at the Royal Enfield line, the new continental GT is a pretty interesting machine at about $6,800.

Have a look at the Royal Enfield line, the new continental GT is a pretty interesting machine at about $6,800.

Wow thanks for that suggestion. This is like, exactly what I'm looking for.
Anyone have any experience with the Royal Enfield Bullet 500?
That continental GT looks amazing... So tempted to get one.

If you're enamoured by the Royal Enfield cafe, then consider the Moto Guzzi V7 Racer. I own one of the first generation models and love this bike. The second gen models have changed the dual throttle body design for a single throttle body, which simplifies EFI setup and improves performance/economy. These are spirited bikes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd3iwOfSWAg#t=234). Another bike in that genre to consider would be the Triumph Thruxton. Both of these have better build quality than the Royal Enfield.

Those are also great suggestions.
I was hoping not to buy new since I change bikes quite often but the pickings are really slim for both thruxton and moto guzzi on the used bike market.

I'll keep an eye out for those.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I went from a gsxr600 to a cx500. Lovely. See signature

Is there any interest in a gta vintage rides club/rides?

80's are vintage now? When did I get old

2000-ish Kawasaki w650. Vintage brit bike looks, japanese build quality and reliability, plus the cool factor of a kick start. Down side is due to the short sales run here in Canada and the bike's cult following, resale prices are high.

Back
Top Bottom