mastercraft max 5 gal compressor | GTAMotorcycle.com

mastercraft max 5 gal compressor

This might be a little overkill for most people.

The one OP posted will be OK for most Fisher-Price stuff around the house, but you're not opening up a service shop in your garage with it.

go hard or go home right =)

It's for about 90% nailing/stapling, all at home. I was hoping it could throw on some light sanding/painting/drilling once in a while. I don't think that bigger cheaper one is powerful enough.

It's for about 90% nailing/stapling, all at home. I was hoping it could throw on some light sanding/painting/drilling once in a while. I don't think that bigger cheaper one is powerful enough.

Nailing/stapling almost any compressor works. Painting/air sanders are basically non-starters with portable compressors. Either compressor will run a drill, you'll just have to wait between holes to allow the pressure to recover.

Most homeowners get by with PC Pancake compressors at 2.6 cfm. Both of the ones you are looking at move substantially more air (although as I stated above, I have my doubts that the first compressor can achieve its rating.)

Costco sells Campbell Hausfeld and Snap On compressors. If you know someone with a card, they are worth checking out. Much better quality at a reasonable price.

Costco sells Campbell Hausfeld and Snap On compressors. If you know someone with a card, they are worth checking out. Much better quality at a reasonable price.

The snap-on stuff at Costco is all made under license, made in china stuff. The only connection to snap-on is the license payments. Not saying one thing or another about quality, just don't be fooled to think you bought actual snap-on...

Why they would sell-out like this has been hotly debated on many tool boards...

Tim Hudak does the math calculations for the compressor industry.

1 HP = 746 watts
120 volts running at 100% load on a 15 amp breaker = 1800 watts = 2.4 HP.
Where does the extra 2.6 HP come from?
Circuits are supposed to be derated to 80% so more like 1500 watts = 2 HP.

If anyone seriously thinks that a Hudak 5 HP plug-in compressor is going to handle the same tools as a 5 HP industrial compressor they should be cutting with plastic scissors.

1 HP = 746 watts

If anyone seriously thinks that a Hudak 5 HP plug-in compressor is going to handle the same tools as a 5 HP industrial compressor they should be cutting with plastic scissors.

Actually the FLA of a single phase 115v ac motor with 2 hp is more like 24A.

But ya you have the right idea.

1 HP = 746 watts

Who said anything about 5 HP. These are 5 Gallon compressors, based on the size of the tank. The motors are 2 HP.
A compressor of this type falls outside the continuous use rule (less than 1 hour in 2, or less then 3 hours in 6), and so can be run at 100% circuit loading.

Actually the FLA of a single phase 115v ac motor with 2 hp is more like 24A.

But ya you have the right idea.

This is a Power Factor of .57. A/C compressors have notoriously poor Power Factor. (And it's not limited to domestic cooling, it's an industry wide problem)
A carefully applied PFC capacitor will bring the Amperage to the Air Compressor in line. We have a 2 HP 120 Volt (cast iron 2 stage) compressor, runs at 14 Amps. The Fluke says it's drawing 1600 Watts. (.95 Power Factor)

A 2 HP Compressor on a 15 Amp, 120 Volt circuit is quite plausible.

Who said anything about 5 HP. These are 5 Gallon compressors, based on the size of the tank. The motors are 2 HP.
A compressor of this type falls outside the continuous use rule (less than 1 hour in 2, or less then 3 hours in 6), and so can be run at 100% circuit loading.

This is a Power Factor of .57. A/C compressors have notoriously poor Power Factor. (And it's not limited to domestic cooling, it's an industry wide problem)
A carefully applied PFC capacitor will bring the Amperage to the Air Compressor in line. We have a 2 HP 120 Volt (cast iron 2 stage) compressor, runs at 14 Amps. The Fluke says it's drawing 1600 Watts. (.95 Power Factor)

A 2 HP Compressor on a 15 Amp, 120 Volt circuit is quite plausible.

The average home owner wont have a dedicated circuit for a compressor, they are going to get into PF correction now. lol.

MY FLA is clearly out of table 45.

Back
Top Bottom