5 days in the rockies - where to ride? | GTAMotorcycle.com

5 days in the rockies - where to ride?

PushStart

While visiting Calgary in August, I've set aside 5 days to go riding in the mountains. Can anyone recommend a route into the mountains and back?

Since I've never ridden in the mountains before, I'd also appreciate advice on gear, preparation or anything really.

FYI, I'll be renting while out there, so I won't be on the SV.

Thanks!

You can go to Banff & head north to Lake Louise or you can stay on Canada Highway 1 & go towards Golden BC on the Rogers Pass then onto Kelowna or Kamloops, the ride will be very scenic & pleasant, from Calgary to Kelowna it's about an 7-8 hour ride and there will be plenty of places to stop & look at on the way like the Shuswap Lakes or Hells Gate...definitely take some rain gear with you just incase!

I am going out in September. Where are you renting a bike from? I would love to get on 2 wheels out there

Honestly just head west and you can't go wrong. Talk to the locals, there are a ton of bike enthusiasts who will eagerly tell you which routes to go.
I scratched up a rough 19 hour route that I partially did last year (I didn't loop, I continued south and west out of New Denver. The roads from Creston to New Denver (3a and 31a in particular) are a pant ******** combination of technical and beautiful. 6 is stunning and more relaxing but with plenty of technical moments. Just looking at the map makes me want to go back. BC is stunning.

I would also consider the Kananaskis #40 in Alberta. While not technically marvellous, it goes through parklands and is very picturesque.

Your at altitude so take rain gear, some insulated stuff for early morning and watch for large animals on the road side. weather can change quickly in the mountains so keep an eye on the skyline and use the pull over spots to gawk around. Its rediculously beautiful and there is just constantly changing scenery. Banff will be very busy and Louise and Jasper in August, but take your time and enjoy the sights.

Thanks everyone, for all of the advice. Lots to think about, and I am definitely bringing my Klim gear to stay dry!

@Greg.crx I ended up renting a BMW G 650 GS from http://www.allseasonmotorsports.ca and renting camping gear from http://www.sportsrent.ca

Due to now only having 3-4 days and planning on camping, I'm leaning towards this loop through Banff and Jasper National Parks. It includes 1A, 93A, Forestry Trunk Road and 40, coming in around 17 hours on the road. I think this catches your suggestions, Chaos & GAR, and also a few tips from some people here in Calgary.

Alternatively I was looking at something similar to what Alamode and Sinz suggested but I'm unsure of being able to fit it all in 3-4 days and don't want to rush it. Here's a loop from Cochrane to Vernon, down through Creston and back up through Invermere but again, I'm worried about rushing it...

What do you think of these rough routes?
Should I stick around Banff and Jasper or is 3-4 days enough to push farther into BC and the mountains?
Any tips on camping with a motorcycle?

@crankcall I've got some thermal base layers from snowboarding, a MEC synthetic down jacket and a toque. I took this stuff backpacking in the himalayas a couple years ago and it worked out great. Light and warm. Hopefully it'll be enough.

@GAR, you were not kidding about Mount Edith Cavill Road, so much fun. Thank you very much for sharing that little nugget. It was freshly paved and aside from two bicyclists, not another soul on it. Absolutely glorious.

@Chaos, the Kananaskis #40 was very picturesque and just as lonely as GAR's suggestion. There was a bit of construction (gravel) here and there, but not too much. Some really interesting views through there.

Here's the entire route I ended up taking, from Cochrane to Crowsnest to Invermere to Golden to Jasper to Longview to Calgary.

Thanks again everyone for all of the suggestions, much appreciated.

Now back to Toronto traffic...

Back
Top Bottom