Riding with No Front Brakes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding with No Front Brakes

I spent 4 years managing >120 guys like this at a major brewery... i don't drink beer to this day.

But, I hear its not their fault, its a DISEASE.
I don't intend to turn this in another RF thread. But you really think all Ford supporters are dropouts??

Thats a hell of a story but im not surprised.
Couple years back i had a fork seal go so i took it to a local "reputable" shop. Along with the fork seal i had front lines and valve adjustment done.

Bike comes out and ive got no front brakes. As the fork leaked the fluid dripped down onto the caliper/pads. While replacing the fork seal and brake lines i guess they couldnt spare the 30 seconds to put two and two together.

As others mentioned this is why i also try to do as much work as possible myself.

You take a bike or a car to a mechanic expecting that they're professionals and that the job will be done right and you'll be safe. Reality however is that they're simply trying to get as much cash from you and do the job as quickly as possible not giving a f&&k about the consequences since its not their safety on the line.

Shortly after this the brakes started dripping fluid as well...

Bike comes out and ive got no front brakes. As the fork leaked the fluid dripped down onto the caliper/pads. While replacing the fork seal and brake lines i guess they couldnt spare the 30 seconds to put two and two together.

I did a summer job as a student at a small Motorcycle performance shop. No bike left that shop without a test ride from the mechanic. Small shops cannot afford the liability insurnace, big dealers have liability insurance for f-cktards in the shop.

I think RF supporters identify with him, and his lifestyle is not unique.

I am quite different from him, but support him.
I'm university educated, have never done drugs & a good worker. I've always carried my own weight at work.

There goes your stereotype

We are not the US, so any case like this would get thrown out or settled before seeing a judge. Plus, we have loser pays laws. In the US anyone can sue you, you have to go to court and if you win, you still have to pay lawyers and fees. No winners.

almost all of that is incorrect.

first, "loser pays laws" don't matter much when everyone has a lawyer working on contingency.

second, even if you do win, there's no guarantee the other party can afford to pay your fees, you're still on the hook if they declare bankruptcy/are too poor.

third, saying this would get thrown out by a judge is exactly my point, frivolous lawsuits make it harder for judges to weed through the legitimate claims ("oh here's another guy just looking for a quick payday")

I'm speaking from first hand experience here on all three points.

I'm university educated, have never done drugs & a good worker. I've always carried my own weight at work.

There goes your stereotype

Is it that you're a Rob Ford supporter or that you can't possibly see yourself backing any of the other misfits that claim to be politicians?

If it's Rob Ford vs Adam Vaughan, Rob Ford wins 10/10 times, for example. Crack, lies and all.

In a human way? Like everyone is a child of God? Maybe give him a hug and tell him everything will be alright? Be the upstanding big brother he apparently never had? Guide him with your wisdom and calming effect? Or you support him as a viable political leader and pillar of the community?

Is it that you're a Rob Ford supporter or that you can't possibly see yourself backing any of the other misfits that claim to be politicians?

If it's Rob Ford vs Adam Vaughan, Rob Ford wins 10/10 times, for example. Crack, lies and all.
As I said before. I loved what he did in office. What he did in his personal life is questionable but is his choice.
In a human way? Like everyone is a child of God? Maybe give him a hug and tell him everything will be alright? Be the upstanding big brother he apparently never had? Guide him with your wisdom and calming effect? Or you support him as a viable political leader and pillar of the community?
I'm not here to be anybody's big brother & I believe he has one already.

I don't know if you meant that figuratively

As I said before. I loved what he did in office. What he did in his personal life is questionable but is his choice.

It is a criminal offense to poses narcotics for self use or to sell.

..how high of a level do I have to go to get away from this law?

I picked up the bike on Friday and road home with out a hitch. The day after I decided to go for a ride and as soon as I left the house, the bike stalled on me. Completely shuts off and I had to turn everything off before I could start it up again. In the past, I could still fire it up without having to turn the bike off. I thought maybe I'm still not use to the clutch so I re-adjusted the angle so I can better grab the lever and fine tuned the friction point so that I can better control the engine.

Something wasn't right with the clutch as it had a hard time keeping the revs when I'm gearing down. Either it was about to stall or surge when I let go of the clutch. 50 km into the ride, as I was about to go onto the Gardiner on ramp, the bike dies on me, just as it did when I left my house. I called it quits and took the main roads back home.

As soon as I got home, I went onto the Internet to see what the problem could be. My bike is pretty old (12-years) and it had surge / stall problems when it first came out due to improper fuel injection mappings. My first thought was maybe the mechanics flashed the software on my bike to an older version. One suggestion said that my battery contacts may be loose, a weak battery might be the cause of the problem. So I decided to clean the battery leads and see if that fixes it.

Went for a test ride later that night and was doing OK until my foot slipped off the gear shift lever. I thought I stepped on something slippery and it transferred onto the foot lever. I wiped the bottom of my foot on the ground and again my foot slipped off the gear shift lever. Decided I need to head back home as something wasn't right.

After pulling into the garage I noticed drops of oil on the floor. I looked up at the oil cap and the oil tank was bubbling over, which explained why my gear shift lever was so slippery. I have a BMW F650 GS and in order to get to the battery I had to remove the oil cap and take the plastic off the false gas tank to get to the battery. I recalled that the oil cap was really tight and I had to use a lot of force to remove it, two hands. After cleaning the battery leads and contacts, I put on the oil cap but not as tight when I first found it. I usually give it a 1/4 turn after it's tight.

I've been doing my own oil changes for over 12-years and never overfilled it once. I usually measure the exact quantity according to the instructions. Too much oil, will cause the oil to foam and will not lubricate the engine properly, it will cause the engine to overheat despite having more oil. I recalled on the invoice that the mechanic said I had too much oil after my clutch cable replacement. I road the bike for over a 1,000 km without a hitch before giving it back to the dealer to get my fork seals replaced.

From my research on the bike surging / stalling. I stumbled on one person saying that too much oil could be the cause of the problem. As too much oil will put unnecessary stress on the engine and seals causing premature wear on the engine and its components. I have a wet clutch that is lubricated in oil. Back of my mind I thought maybe the oil could be messing me up.

I slept on the problem and the next day I decided to remove the oil when it was cool. Using my syringe, I removed enough so that the oil level was in the middle of the sight glass. I was shocked at the excess amount I extracted, one Coke can (355 mL), not including the amount that spilled onto the floor the night before. I still have some of the original oil when I did my last oil change and would like to make a comparison of the excess oil I extracted to see if they are the same or not.

I took it for a test ride afterwards and everything was working like it should, no stalling or surging. Hopefully, this will be the last of my problems.

For all I know, maybe the problem was me. But I would like to get the oil samples tested to see if I was at fault or not.
Anyone, knows of a person that can do this?

Toromont has an oil analysis lab too.

What do you think the lab report is going to tell you that will help you determine fault? I haven't seen an oil analysis that identifies the brand of oil (this would be especially difficult with two mixed together).

Hmm sounds like it was one of the BMW dealerships.. I personally would only trust Budds BMW in Oakville. Their service team are great. Wouldn't go near Toronto BMW.. Just my opinion.. Based on mine and other people's experiences.

Exactly what did he do in office? Nothing.
What rock have you been under? He was stoned and high ON THE JOB, when he wasn't taking off time on our dime to play football.

From my research on the bike surging / stalling. I stumbled on one person saying that too much oil could be the cause of the problem. As too much oil will put unnecessary stress on the engine and seals causing premature wear on the engine and its components. I have a wet clutch that is lubricated in oil. Back of my mind I thought maybe the oil could be messing me up.

I slept on the problem and the next day I decided to remove the oil when it was cool. Using my syringe, I removed enough so that the oil level was in the middle of the sight glass. I was shocked at the excess amount I extracted, one Coke can (355 mL), not including the amount that spilled onto the floor the night before. I still have some of the original oil when I did my last oil change and would like to make a comparison of the excess oil I extracted to see if they are the same or not.

I took it for a test ride afterwards and everything was working like it should, no stalling or surging. Hopefully, this will be the last of my problems.

For all I know, maybe the problem was me. But I would like to get the oil samples tested to see if I was at fault or not.
Anyone, knows of a person that can do this?

Oil analysis won't tell you anything.
Too much oil will just get blown out of the crankcase to a breather tube that used to exit down to the road, but now must exit into the intake airbox to allow the oil to burn through the intake.
Enough oil, and the filter will get wet and the oil/air/gas mix won't burn right giving you the stumble. It may have damaged the MAF sensor as well.

Your intake airbox likely has oil in it.
Whoever filled the crankcase just dumped in two bottles without measuring.

If you look at the air filter and you see oil in the filter or the box, that's all the proof you need it was overfilled.

This was my thought too you have been watching too many episodes of CSI to think that the lab is going to say "nope the oil you gave us is a different blend then the stuff that you got out of the crankcase".

Even if for a second they were able to determine it there would be contamination form your crankcase of the oil that was in there before, making it even less likely to be definitive.

Now lets say the lab works miracles and says the oil samples provided by YOU are different. What then?? If you confront the dealership do you think they are going to admit they overfilled it? If I were the service manager I would simply say how the hel* do I know where you got the oil from you could have bought two types and now your going to try to blame us? Or are you going to break into the dealership after hours and draw an oil sample from their bulk tank to be analyzed too?? LOL

Forget the whole lab thing, and just confront the service manager with the issues you had POST service and see what they are willing to do.

I had a small shop recently install tires on my bike, I picked the bike up rode it home and then the next morning to work. I went to go to the store on brake and I hear a clunk and a strange feeling when applying front brake. same issue the never tightened the caliper bolts back on. The one bolt had worke3d completely out but a reflector bracket kept it on the bike and the other was about 3/4 ways out. I tightened it all up, (it was a SUnday) I callede the shop monday the owner was away so i Called Tuesday told him what happened and I would be later that day. I went in they checked everything and torqued it, then he then "compensated" me and apologized profusely. He also thanked me for bringing it to his attention so he could deal with the tech involved, (obviously he wasn't pleased as it is him who would have been liable had I crashed, and he acknowledged it was a SERIOUS error for the tech.

I was satisfied and that is why the story and the shops name never appeared on GTAM..lol

What do you think the lab report is going to tell you that will help you determine fault? I haven't seen an oil analysis that identifies the brand of oil (this would be especially difficult with two mixed together).

My clutch has been acting up, possibly due to the excess oil or the type of oil used. From what I've read, this bike doesn't like synthetic oil, they say it affects the clutch play. Never put in synthetic because of so. Just a hunch and to put my mind at ease. A Lab test should be able to identify that difference at least.

Back
Top Bottom