Just bought a used bike and it failed the safety miserably. What do I do? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just bought a used bike and it failed the safety miserably. What do I do?

I recall a few posts on svrider.com where a rider had tweaked his sub frame because he would yank his bike around the garage using the grab handle on the tail.

I recall a few posts on svrider.com where a rider had tweaked his sub frame because he would yank his bike around the garage using the grab handle on the tail.

Yeah, I had an SV, and it was a fragile bike, my third Suzuki and nothing like the previous two.

I could see how this is possible, but would this affect a safety? This would be the seat support and the exhaust mount.
Really just cosmetic isnt it? It shoudlnt affect the bike tracking or ride-ability, maybe just differently balanced, but I would suspect it would have to be really tweaked...

Maybe I missed something but why wasn't the bike bought safetied already?

It's perfectly common to buy used vehicles as-is.

I'm with others though, if you don't want to shell out and fix it perfect at a dealership, take it somewhere sensible. Dealerships will nickel and ****ing dime you. I bought a used bike from a friend through a dealership (accommodation sale) and not only was the safety significantly more than anywhere else I've ever paid (I think it was like $70-100), but they came back to me with: loose grip, maligned headlight. That very dealership did all the work including installing the heated grips, and a complete safety every year. Not 6 months...not 1000 miles before I bought it, that dealership had gone over everything and said it was perfect. Headlight alignment after 1000 miles? Yeah right.

I'm with others though, if you don't want to shell out and fix it perfect at a dealership, take it somewhere sensible. Dealerships will nickel and ****ing dime you. I bought a used bike from a friend through a dealership (accommodation sale) and not only was the safety significantly more than anywhere else I've ever paid (I think it was like $70-100), but they came back to me with: loose grip, maligned headlight. That very dealership did all the work including installing the heated grips, and a complete safety every year. Not 6 months...not 1000 miles before I bought it, that dealership had gone over everything and said it was perfect. Headlight alignment after 1000 miles? Yeah right.

In dealerships too many people need to be paid off of the mechanics blood and sweat. The money has to come from somewhere. There's a break even $number per bay per day that needs met before anybody puts a dime in their pocket. Plus generous profit is always viewed as a big plus. Smaller independents have way more wiggle room. Like today I bought a pretty darn good sammich at a non franchise sammich shop for $3. They're happy, I'm happy.

i am going to take her to crappy tire on monday. They have a cert. motorcycle mechanic that can safety. I will follow up and let you know what happens. Their safety is only 40$ compared to Sturgess 90$ They must go inspector gadget on em.

Which items, if it gets cert. this time around, should I still look into for safety? Head bearings and bent r/h fork tube?

Which items, if it gets cert. this time around, should I still look into for safety? Head bearings and bent r/h fork tube?

Pose that question to whatever mechanic you take it to. We're not looking at the bike, how would we know?

i am going to take her to crappy tire on monday.

I'll assume you're going to Dundas CTC. Both m/c licensed mechanics there (if still the same) are charmed by sano looking bikes so you may be in luck. If you get the older heavier set guy keep a close eye on him when he gets on his knees to check the front pads. He will lever himself up off the ground using your fender as an anchor point. Most plastic fenders can withstand a good twist but discretion is the better part of valour.

Last edited:
Wow, you got hosed sorry to hear, if the bike was mint good deal but hey ur learning um Swingarm bearings are a Saftey issue and tire of course the rest is but not a huge deal, crappy tire will pass anything, so good move there. Maybe get the bearings and tire placed and top up your coolant, takes two seconds

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I'm aware that many are bought as-is. I bought my last three bikes safetied as it shows a small amount of trust in the seller if he's willing to get a safety on his bike. This thread shows what can happen if you buy as-is. Even that small gesture of getting a safety on the bike (and I'm aware that a safety is only a basic test of road worthiness) is worthwhile in my opinion. I also sold my bikes safetied too to show that I'm not trying to pass a dud on.

Have any picture by any chance? At this point your only options is to fix everything.
Call your insurance company and see if you can put through a claim otherwise your going to spend over the value of what you paid to fix it up.

Back
Top Bottom