Just bought a used bike and it failed the safety miserably. What do I do? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just bought a used bike and it failed the safety miserably. What do I do?

If the OP has the skill to examine the listed defects himself and determine if the mechanic is blowing smoke, then he should know the answer already. A mechanic should call out such items. Even more so, if the owner is less knowledgeable. Maybe a nearby member with a more experienced eye could help out, take a few minutes to eyeball the bike, and help determine the right thing to do (get a greased safety cert or address/repair the defects).

Head bearings are easy to adjust. The swing arm bearings are easy to verify, the arm should not move side to side.
A tire is a tire.
You don't need to crash to bend a fork tube and twist the subframe, doing stupid stunts will do that. Motorcycles are not designed to do that.
Sturgess is telling you this bike was abused. This is the best shop around, and they take bikes seriously, even if the owners don't.

Sv650s have poorly packed bearings from the factory, and I'm amazed the shock didn't need replacing.

$1500 is about right with a tire, and in the end, the bike will be perfect.

thefact that the cage and sub are bent, but there is no indication of damage on the body, then the original owner covered it up.

not a great position to be in. Seems you have a couple of issues to look at, whether safety related or not.

Though you bike may "look" good, it sounds like something has happened to it, a drop, crash, abuse as noted above...
A safety a year ago doesn't really mean much today. Lots of things can happen and/or wear in a year.

The seller could be a great person, but they are trying to sell the bike, almost any seller (private/dealer) will not disclose everything they might have done or know about the bike. Their goal is to sell the bike at the best price as quick as possible.

Last edited:
Rear wheel bearing is 30 bucks

But does it install itself?

:p

Seriously, he said it is a VFr750 single side arm bike, is it only one bearing? Is each bearing $30? I dunno myself, but probably more.
Even if it is $30, you have to pay for labour. And the cert.
Unless you do it yourself, and a lot of us wouldn't.

It can take hours to replace one, and may even require special tools.

A SSSA would be quite a bit different since the bearing is in the swingarm, not the wheel.

However, doing wheel bearings on a conventional bike should take no more than 1 hour per wheel (front or rear).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However, doing wheel bearings on a conventional bike should take no more than 1 hour per wheel (front or rear).

Assuming no corrosion or distortion of the bearings. They can pop out easily, they can also be a PITA on older bikes that sat around.

If the OP has the skill to examine the listed defects himself and determine if the mechanic is blowing smoke, then he should know the answer already. A mechanic should call out such items. Even more so, if the owner is less knowledgeable. Maybe a nearby member with a more experienced eye could help out, take a few minutes to eyeball the bike, and help determine the right thing to do (get a greased safety cert or address/repair the defects).

That would be awesome if someone was willing. Any takers?

A safety on a bike must have all items on this sheet that apply to a motorcycle to pass along with the additional 6 motorcycle specific items. His failed on all items noted:

Last edited:
This Time: Fix the bike right.

Next Time: Have the bike checked out BEFORE you hand over cash (take it for a safety check before you buy, pay for the check yourself if the seller will not).

I gotta admit, I am very curious to see the frame damage mentioned. It's not easy to get a clean fairing to fit a knackered birdcage / subframe.

I gotta admit, I am very curious to see the frame damage mentioned. It's not easy to get a clean fairing to fit a knackered birdcage / subframe.

That's what I didn't understand. I brought a Guy along who I met on Reddit to check out the bike with me. He checked everything and could not find anything wrong other than the back tire was worn out. I am going to get sturgess to draw up a bill for repair and than ill take it to another shop for a second opinion

Back
Top Bottom