Just bought a used bike and it failed the safety miserably. What do I do? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just bought a used bike and it failed the safety miserably. What do I do?

i am going to take her to crappy tire on monday. They have a cert. motorcycle mechanic that can safety. I will follow up and let you know what happens. Their safety is only 40$ compared to Sturgess 90$ They must go inspector gadget on em.

Which items, if it gets cert. this time around, should I still look into for safety? Head bearings and bent r/h fork tube?

None, it's passed the safety...

Hey not to sound like a Jack ***** but you don't like that it failed the cert at one place because you think they are hosing you, or going over board or nit picking, or what ever, so your going to go somewhere else to see if they will pass it as is....

BUT you are concerned with the head bearings and bent r/h fork tube......WHY, if the new place passes the bike and gives you a safety cert, then it's a bike that has no issues and you can go riding without a care in the world....

I don't get your thinking.....

i am going to take her to crappy tire on monday. They have a cert. motorcycle mechanic that can safety. I will follow up and let you know what happens. Their safety is only 40$ compared to Sturgess 90$ They must go inspector gadget on em.

Which items, if it gets cert. this time around, should I still look into for safety? Head bearings and bent r/h fork tube?
Take it to a real mechanic. Canadian Tire can`t even sell tires properly. Also, is it cheaper to safety a bike than car? I just had a car done there and it was $90. If you feel something is a safety risk, just fix it.

Why would his insurance pay to fix a bike that was bought damaged?
Yeah that makes zero sense.

A SSSA would be quite a bit different since the bearing is in the swingarm, not the wheel.

However, doing wheel bearings on a conventional bike should take no more than 1 hour per wheel (front or rear).

I know my rear wheel bearing was an absolute pain in the ***, the main bearing came out no problems, but the needle bearing was hell incarnate. There was such little material to get something up against to try and knock it out that the inner race shattered and left the outer race inside the wheel. Had to bring it over to a friends house and dremel out the outer race.

1/10 would not do again

I know my rear wheel bearing was an absolute pain in the ***, the main bearing came out no problems, but the needle bearing was hell incarnate. There was such little material to get something up against to try and knock it out that the inner race shattered and left the outer race inside the wheel. Had to bring it over to a friends house and dremel out the outer race.

1/10 would not do again

R6?

None, it's passed the safety...

Hey not to sound like a Jack ***** but you don't like that it failed the cert at one place because you think they are hosing you, or going over board or nit picking, or what ever, so your going to go somewhere else to see if they will pass it as is....

BUT you are concerned with the head bearings and bent r/h fork tube......WHY, if the new place passes the bike and gives you a safety cert, then it's a bike that has no issues and you can go riding without a care in the world....

I don't get your thinking.....

How do you not understand. Which items are a serious threat to safety while riding. Obviously coolant is not. The subframe is bent ever so slightly, maybe sitting on a 1 degree angel. I don't feel this to be a huge safety issue. I am not sure exactly what a birdcage upper fairing support is but I was told it is not a safety issue. The thinking is simple. I want to ride without replacing a
A subframe which will cost me 900 plus labour to fix. I want to ride safe. Which items are a serious safety issue. Understand?

How do you not understand. Which items are a serious threat to safety while riding. Obviously coolant is not. The subframe is bent ever so slightly, maybe sitting on a 1 degree angel. I don't feel this to be a huge safety issue. I am not sure exactly what a birdcage upper fairing support is but I was told it is not a safety issue. The thinking is simple. I want to ride without replacing a
A subframe which will cost me 900 plus labour to fix. I want to ride safe. Which items are a serious safety issue. Understand?

Actually NO, I don't understand....

Hey you want it easy, bring the bike to me, and come back in 2 days, and it will have a safety certificate, actually just bring me the paperwork, I don't even need the bike....

Then you can go and ride and get whatever items you want to fix or not, fixed on your own time...

so coolant is not a safety issue, tell me all about it when your engine overheats and cracks a head or cooks the oil and something seizes and you go arse over tea kettle, then tell me how coolant is not a need for concern, maybe not for a safety cert, but for your safety it is.....

I am sure they did not fail or would not have failed the bike if just the coolant was the issue......

Hey you want it easy, bring the bike to me, and come back in 2 days, and it will have a safety certificate, actually just bring me the paperwork, I don't even need the bike....

Then you can go and ride and get whatever items you want to fix or not, fixed on your own time...

so coolant is not a safety issue, tell me all about it when your engine overheats and cracks a head or cooks the oil and something seizes and you go arse over tea kettle, then tell me how coolant is not a need for concern, maybe not for a safety cert, but for your safety it is.....

I am sure they did not fail or would not have failed the bike if just the coolant was the issue......

I already changed the coolant so you are no help to me..

What a great attitude towards those trying to help.

I already changed the coolant so you are no help to me..

I must have helped in some fashion, or at least the guys who tried to do a safety cert for you and told you the items of concern....

you did so far one of the things on their list, but as you said, it's not a safety thing, so why did you do it.....

well best of luck hope you get the bike sorted and on the road, our season is short, so get on it......with or without my help....

I'm not a professional nor have I seen your bike, but from your descriptions, I would recommend:

* SUBFRAME TWISTED
1 degree = no big deal. Look closely, maybe it was bent much more and bent-back into shape and the metal is weak now - this would be a big deal. Look closely near the bolts/attachment points.

* BRIDCAGE (UPPER FAIRING SUPPORT) TWISTED
no big deal (again, unless bent back and forth and weakened)

* COOLANT VERY LOW
no big deal now that you have corrected this. Look for any leaks (coolant is slippery). Keep an eye on the level going forward.

* HEAD BEARINGS LOOSE
Big deal. need to tighten as per service procedure. Steering will feel much nicer once tightened correctly.

* R/H INNER FORK TUBE BENT
Big deal. needs to be replaced.

* ...and rear tire.
Big deal. needs to be replaced.

You need to understand that you are asking a bunch of uncredentialed "experts" to second-guess a professional mechanic, sight unseen over the internet. It is quite possible that whole list could be actual serious safety issues, if they were severe enough.

Except the coolant. It may not be a safety issue, but it's not totally harmless either. Coolant loss on a modern bike is extremely rare. That coolant could have been lost when the bike was on its side during whatever caused the rest of the damage. It could also be from a blown head gasket, or bad water pump seals (not familiar with the pump on the SV650, so I don't know if it's specifically possible here).

So since OP has not said anything for a few days must we conclude it failed the second attempt at a safety?????

Back
Top Bottom