Just bought a used bike and it failed the safety miserably. What do I do? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just bought a used bike and it failed the safety miserably. What do I do?

jdfundas

I just bought a used sv650 and when I checked it out it looked to be in clean condition. Nothing was noticeably wrong with it. I was thinking maybe the back tire would fail the safety but that is it. I took it to sturgess and got a call today saying it failed safety and needs at least 1500 worth of work. The guy I bought it off showed me his safety inspection cert. from last year and I know he didn't crash it. Should I take it to another place? I heard strugess is really anal. The seller only 2000 kms on it from when he bought it last year. The bike rides smooth as well. Here is a list of what it needs to pass safety. * SWINGARM BEARINGS
* SUBFRAME TWISTED
* BRIDCAGE (UPPER FAIRING SUPPORT) TWISTED
* COOLANT VERY LOW
* HEAD BEARINGS LOOSE
* R/H INNER FORK TUBE BENT ...and rear tire.

Sounds like you bought a crashed bike. Sourcing parts for that bike is easy and cheap. Start shopping...

SWINGARM BEARINGS
* SUBFRAME TWISTED
* COOLANT VERY LOW
* HEAD BEARINGS LOOSE

sounds like it was wrecked.

is the plastic nice an clean, and in good shape? how about the bar ends, covers, footpegs, etc?

I say the first three aren't even cert issues. Take it somewhere else.

Low coolant is a safety issue now? Tell those clowns to f off and take the bike elsewhere.

The only remotely safety related things there are the head bearing and possibly fork tube. If they're even being honest... fix it yourself.

Low coolant is a safety issue now? Tell those clowns to f off and take the bike elsewhere.

The only remotely safety related things there are the head bearing and possibly fork tube. If they're even being honest... fix it yourself.
if the swingarm bearing is bad, it is a safety issue. bent birdcage is not, low coolant isnt either if you top it up

Everything is clean. No scuffs on the bar ends, pegs, and the fairings are mint.

That doesn't mean anything, as those are all easy to replace (though fairings may not be cheap)

They probably gave him a list of all items noted needing attention. Does not mean the whole list is safety related. But there are items on the list that will fail it for a safety.

They probably gave him a list of all items noted needing attention. Does not mean the whole list is safety related. But there are items on the list that will fail it for a safety.

I dont understand because the bike looks so clean. I am going to take it to another place and see what they say. Which items on the list are actually safety related and you shouldnt ride without fixing them. The buyer I got it off got it cert'd and has been riding it for a year. He roas it to me from markham willlingly.

I dont understand because the bike looks so clean. I am going to take it to another place and see what they say. Which items on the list are actually safety related and you shouldnt ride without fixing them. The buyer I got it off got it cert'd and has been riding it for a year. He roas it to me from markham willlingly.

Maybe he crashed it and replaced the fairings himself. Maybe also why he was willing to ride it over for you? Though I think a lot of people would offer that anyway.

I concur coolant low..for safety...get another inspection

Who said coolant was a safety issue. Sturgess is just telling him along with the other issues he has low coolant!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy I bought it off showed me his safety inspection cert. from last year and I know he didn't crash it.

Where did the guy you bought it from get it safetied? Perhaps try there for a second look.

I just bought a used sv650 and when I checked it out it looked to be in clean condition. Nothing was noticeably wrong with it. I was thinking maybe the back tire would fail the safety but that is it. I took it to sturgess and got a call today saying it failed safety and needs at least 1500 worth of work. The guy I bought it off showed me his safety inspection cert. from last year and I know he didn't crash it. Should I take it to another place? I heard strugess is really anal. The seller only 2000 kms on it from when he bought it last year. The bike rides smooth as well. Here is a list of what it needs to pass safety. * SWINGARM BEARINGS
* SUBFRAME TWISTED
* COOLANT VERY LOW
* HEAD BEARINGS LOOSE

How did you know he did not crash it?

"Looks clean" well yeah Im sure it does.... but those issues aren't skin deep. You'd have to look carefully to see those faults.

If the fairing stay and subframe are bent, its been crashed. Period.

With that said, lots of folks ride bikes with slightly tweaked forks and crappy head bearings all the time... not to mention subframes and fairing stays.

I'd check with another shop. Honestly when I took my VFR750 in for a safety at one shop they wanted a few thousand. seriously wtf? I look it to Ross at Ktec in Kingston (probably thee best bike shop in Kingston) it was $400.

I'd check with another shop. Honestly when I took my VFR750 in for a safety at one shop they wanted a few thousand. seriously wtf? I look it to Ross at Ktec in Kingston (probably thee best bike shop in Kingston) it was $400.

still retarded...

Bottom line with a safety cert is there is a small onus on the mechanic if they think for any reason the machine is unfit for the road in its current state it can be failed. Low coolant/bent swingarm? neither may be on the safety as a direct item but if they think it could contribute to an unsafe machine its there option to fail it. Its all good till something goes wrong and somebody calls a lawyer.
I'd argue Sturgis was very diligent , but you will get it safetied somewhere else with much less effort, not saying that's better.

Back
Top Bottom