Driving a motorcycle in a bicycle lane | GTAMotorcycle.com

Driving a motorcycle in a bicycle lane

FLSTC

I recently observed a motorcycle rider using a bicycle lane. There was slow/stopped traffic in the two regular lanes. What are the rules and regulations around this? Bylaws? HTA? 172?

My Pleasant - Bayview?
I've seen it and have been tempted to do it often.

Those lanes are protected under the Highway Traffic Act

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm#BK230

Where highway divided into lanes
154. (1) Where a highway has been divided into clearly marked lanes for traffic,

(c) any lane may be designated for slowly moving traffic, traffic moving in a particular direction or classes or types of vehicles and, despite section 141, where a lane is so designated and official signs indicating the designation are erected, every driver shall obey the instructions on the official signs. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 154 (1).​

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_940339_e.htm

Improper driving where highway divided into lanes - 3 demerit points​

http://www.ontariocourts.ca/ocj/how-do-i/set-fines/set-fines-i/schedule-43/

HTA S.154(1)(c) - Fail to obey lane sign — $110 fine​

I recently observed a motorcycle rider using a bicycle lane. There was slow/stopped traffic in the two regular lanes. What are the rules and regulations around this? Bylaws? HTA? 172?

In Toronto they are protected by both the HTA and bylaws that are specific as to their use.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_886.pdf

e-Bikes are not permitted to use bicycle lanes, unless being operated via their pedals. Obviously this is not being enforced.

Crap. I can't ride my folding bike on the sidewalk now!

Funny. If an ebike doesn't have its pedals on, you need to register it with ministry, have insurance, and an m class license.... If operated on a highway. Note the definition of highway in sec 2 of the hta... Ha ha ha. :)

Funny. If an ebike doesn't have its pedals on, you need to register it with ministry, have insurance, and an m class license.... If operated on a highway. Note the definition of highway in sec 2 of the hta... Ha ha ha. :)

It'll never be enforced, though, just like they don't bother with bicycles with gas engines added (which are illegal).

What about riding on grass? Like the grass beside Lakeshore before QEW going west?

Cyclists give me dirty looks when I am in their lanes. I just honk and tell em to pedal faster :) Seems like a much better choice than lane splitting offense wise.

Last edited:
What about riding on grass? Like the grass beside Lakeshore before QEW going west?

Off the top of my head, "Pass off roadway" and a possible "dangerous operation of a vehicle" charge under the Criminal Code, which does not apply solely to roadways.

Since one doesn't need a license to operate a bike or e-bike there is no pressure on those riders to read up on the laws. Ignorance is bliss.

Does the re-defining of an e-bike make it legal for a DUI convicted driver from using an e-bike while under suspension?

Does all change when one crosses Etobicoke Creek into Mississauga?

Time to put bicycles into the HTA. Think of all the HTA 172 convictions they could log. :)

Since one doesn't need a license to operate a bike or e-bike there is no pressure on those riders to read up on the laws. Ignorance is bliss.

Does the re-defining of an e-bike make it legal for a DUI convicted driver from using an e-bike while under suspension?

Does all change when one crosses Etobicoke Creek into Mississauga?

Time to put bicycles into the HTA. Think of all the HTA 172 convictions they could log. :)

Bicycles ARE in the HTA. Anything that refers to a 'vehicle' applies to bicycles. Entries that are specific to 'motor vehicles' do not apply to bicycles.

Bicycles ARE in the HTA. Anything that refers to a 'vehicle' applies to bicycles. Entries that are specific to 'motor vehicles' do not apply to bicycles.
So how come they get to lane split, run stop signs/red lights, pass on the right of a right turning car, ride with no hands on the bars, pull wheelies, etc? Just no enforcement?

So how come they get to lane split, run stop signs/red lights, pass on the right of a right turning car, ride with no hands on the bars, pull wheelies, etc? Just no enforcement?

In some cases they are permitted to do things that motor vehicles are not allowed to but yes, in the majority of cases it's just lack of enforcement. For example I've never seen a cyclist be ticketed for going the wrong way, down a one way street. They are not permitted to do this, as is the case with all vehicles. They aren't supposed to pass to the right of a vehicle, that is indicating a right turn. They do it all the time.

In some cases they are permitted to do things that motor vehicles are not allowed to but yes, in the majority of cases it's just lack of enforcement. For example I've never seen a cyclist be ticketed for going the wrong way, down a one way street. They are not permitted to do this, as is the case with all vehicles. They aren't supposed to pass to the right of a vehicle, that is indicating a right turn. They do it all the time.

I saw two bicycle cops riding on the sidewalk @ Keele / Finch. Donut run?

I've seen them literally ride into live traffic and just put their hands up to stop the cars so they can go through. Then one was lagging behind the group and just rushed in once traffic started moving and nearly got run over. Wish I had it video because it was idiotic.

Back
Top Bottom