Nylon jacket melted on pipes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Nylon jacket melted on pipes

Frankee

Hi,

I hung my jacket on my handle bars, it touched my pipes that were hot, and now I have a blob of black nylon melted on to the pipes. Any suggestions for removing it? It seems to be on there like a rock, and the bike is cold now.

Frank

Happened to me a few years back. Start the bike up and let it idle to get the pipes hot. Scrape nylon off with wooden tongue depressor or popsicle stick. Really fine steel wool can also be used.

I was on Cape Breton Island, and found I was heading straight into the rain clouds up ahead, so hopped off my KLR and draped the jacket over my top case while I donned my rain gear to find that I'd laid it on the end of the exhaust pipe and melted out a part of the zipper!

I rode for four more days unable to do up my jacket. Lol.

Thanks DJM, that was easier then expected. I first soaked the area in Goof off, which may or may not have helped, then heated the pipe for a minute, when the nylon started smoking I gently wiped globs of it off with some steel wool. I'm going to put some chrome polish on it, and it should be as good as new.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom