Toronto to James Bay | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto to James Bay

How rough was the gravel on the Trans-Lab? I'm heading that way in a couple weeks and my biggest worry is hundreds of km of freshly graded gravel.[/QUOTENot bad, they are in the midst of paving the entirety but little section at a time. Some parts of gravel were great, the shoulders can be very soft. The worst bit of road by far is the coast of Labrador. Whatever it used to be, it's now very heavily potholed. There's one section without gas for something like 400km I think, so bring fuel. It was an amazing trip, there are trucks that fly down it though so be prepared.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116521-Labrador-Loop

Not bad, they are in the midst of paving the entirety but little section at a time. Some parts of gravel were great, the shoulders can be very soft. The worst bit of road by far is the coast of Labrador. Whatever it used to be, it's now very heavily potholed. There's one section without gas for something like 400km I think, so bring fuel. It was an amazing trip, there are trucks that fly down it though so be prepared.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116521-Labrador-Loop

Thanks, I will read through your report when I get a chance.

Extra fuel will be along for sure... even though my Wee usually gets around 400km to a tank without running it bone dry, I know on gravel with packed cases, etc, it will not get as good mileage as usual.

Yeah - there were no cops anywhere, all along the way there... until that cochon showed up. Biggest BS ticket ever.

And at the end he's like "yeah I ride too" ... pft whatever.

That's truly bad timing, and an unforgiving cop.

The whole time we were in Quebec we saw 2 cops, one right at the bay patroling the shoreline, stopped and chatted for a bit with us, and one cruiser on the JBR near Matagami.

Did that trip in 09 or 10 and never saw a cop north of Matagimi. Only the frost heaves kept our speed in check.
Didn't spend a night in any motels though - vagrant camping all the way......

Didn't spend a night in any motels though - vagrant camping all the way......

Passed a few campers on the way up and down, maybe next time I'll bring the tent, but I'm not getting any younger...

Do you remember if the Rupert River was in full force when you went, or had it already been diverted?

Passed a few campers on the way up and down, maybe next time I'll bring the tent, but I'm not getting any younger...

Do you remember if the Rupert River was in full force when you went, or had it already been diverted?

You likely wouldn't have seen our tents, the key to free (vagrant) camping is to slip out of sight. Looking at 50 in the rear view mirror I'm not getting any younger either but still camping.
And yes the Rupert was diverted when we went.

Back
Top Bottom