Headlight not working | GTAMotorcycle.com

Headlight not working

Joe Bass

*probably eating right now*
Site Supporter
Hello all! I've been riding for 4 years and loved the idea of riding for the last 30 years (better late than never!). I'm new to the forum, but reading through the threads, it looks like a great place.

I have a 1998 Honda Shadow ACE that I purchased 4 years ago. The previous owner (s) have done some customization including addition of a light bar. At the end of last season I was riding home and my headlight went out. Over the winter I checked fuses, bulbs, most connections and couldn't find an issue. But there wasn't any power at the bulb harness. I finally just tapped my high beam into my ignition power and my light worked so I can ride again.

But now I believe I am overpowering the ignition fuse, as it keeps blowing. So I need to figure out the issue and fix it right. Could I possibly need a new hi/low switch? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry about the long post, it's my first one.

Thanks, and ride safe!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Try bypassing the switch.
Basically start with a meter at the headlight. And work back to the fuse box. There is a broken connection somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. I will start there. Thanks, will update.

If he was putting the extra amperage draw of the light bar directly through the headlight switch without a relay, there's a good chance the switch contacts are fried. Something to check...

If he was putting the extra amperage draw of the light bar directly through the headlight switch without a relay, there's a good chance the switch contacts are fried. Something to check...

ok. Being not too handy myself, these suggestions are great for me. Just to make sure: So if I bypass the switch and it works, then the contacts may be fried. Then replace the switch & add a relay for the light bar to avoid this issue again.
Is there a certain relay that I need to get?

I had the same problem with my Honda 919.
The problem turned out to be a solder connection in the engine cut off switch on the right handlebar.
This was easy to open and if it is the problem it will be obvious because on of the wires will be disconnected.

Do a voltage test before the switch, then after to see if the switch is the issue. You can also disconnect the battery and do a resistance test of the switch as well. I believe CTC or Princess Auto would carry 12v automotive relays, say 30 amp or so.

I remember a slew of failures reported on headlight switches when HID kits first became popular. Directly wired through the switches, the additional start-up current surge was frying them.

Is there a certain relay that I need to get?
In addition to possibly adding a relay for the auxillary light bar, you would be better off putting in a relay for your main headlamp.

Eastern Beaver sells plug'n'play headlight relay kits for reasonable money. They are very well built and highly rated. Use Google to locate reviews and opinions.

If you want to go the DIY route, then this page has lots of schematics for various circuits to add or improve lighting. You want to build a circuit similar to this:

hlr.png

Last edited:
Thank you. I'm hoping it looks a little more complicated than it actually is.
If I set it up like in the schematic, do I still need another relay for the light bar? And do you know the best place to then tie it in?
Btw, I really appreciate the effort you have made to help.

Edit* I haven't had a chance to start working on the issue yet, but so far you all have been awesome with your suggestions.
Thank you!

Update: This weekend had a chance to trace the wires. The switch was good. The ignition was good too.
Found a disconnected wire where the previous owner had tied in the light bar. Used connectors to reattach, and now everything is working.
Hopefully this weekend I will be able to add the relay in.
Thanks to everyone for your help.

Thank you. I'm hoping it looks a little more complicated than it actually is.
If I set it up like in the schematic, do I still need another relay for the light bar? And do you know the best place to then tie it in?
Btw, I really appreciate the effort you have made to help.
I'm sorry that I didn't respond to your question before now. I didn't see it.

To what purpose is the lightbar put? Is it for daylight visibility or for additional lighting at night. If you answer "visibility" to the question, then tie the lightbar into the low beam circuit. If you answer "additional lighting" to the question, then tie the lightbar into the high beam circuit.

The red and black wires that tie into Pins 30 and 85 and the Yellow and White wires that tie into Pins 87 are all heavy gauge wires, probably 12GA. They can potentially carry more current than what the lights can draw. You want this. The lightbar can tie into Pin 87 on one of the two relays, depending on how you answered the above question.

The circuit is not complex at all; the schematic makes it look complex.

Back
Top Bottom