Leather repair | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Leather repair

Superfly,

Any competent shoe repair guy can resole your boot or partial resole. I have had my Daytona's done twice now.

NO PLEASE don`t do that. Dry cleaners deal with fashion leather. They have absolutely no clue as to what they are working on.
I have seen repairs come out of dry cleaners done with vinyl. Sure, they can make it look good because that is what they do,,
but it won`t work if you slide your butt down the road. And don`t dry clean it either! Take it to someone that has worked on this stuff.
Better yet,,take it to someone that has slid their butt down the road several times over 200KPH and fixes their own suits. There are a few out there.

Hi John, any recommendations on cleaning a suit that's full of mud, sweat and tears? ;)

We can do it or you can just spend some more sweat equity and get it done.
iIt's not really hard,,just don"t use any aggressive cleaners and get a bush to get into the seams to get the mud off.
Maybe let the mud dry and then brush the harden stuff off.
You may need to do it several times. If you have any form of conditioner you should use that after you remove the dirt.
If you need help let me know,,
John

We will be at Grand Bend this weekend for the VRRA if you need some help get it there and we'll spruce it up for you

Last edited:
I had my Alpinestars SupertechR boots re soled as well. Just a partial re of the front half and they're good to go for a while longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dry Cleaners can make stuff "Look" awsome. But they use a LOT of chemicals and silicone. That's fine on fashion leather or that favorite jacket you wear to the family get together. But if you slide you butt down the road at 200 KPH you may want to think about that. Silicone seals the pours of the leather and will not let the moisture out. The chemicals well,,, here's my theory,,, would you use them on your hands? If not,,well maybe think twice.
With repairs we don't undo any seams. So if you go to a regular dry cleaner they will send it out and cut the seams open to fix the damaged area. Now all the factory seams are compromised. So if they sew it back together on the same stitch line,, well it just allows the suit to open up easier in your next crash.
So making it look good is easy,,,making it 100% functional is the hard part. So if Fashion is what you want and you never plan on crashing,,,all is good!

I had my Alpinestars SupertechR boots re soled as well. Just a partial re of the front half and they're good to go for a while longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is really hard to find a good shoe repair guy that can resole stuff and make in functional these days.
If you know one,,forward his location so others can go to him, it's a die'ing profession so keep him busy and he'll be there for everyone!
If he does good work,,it would be worth the drive. The uppers are easier to repair but we can't do soles,,

Yea good to know about the soles. It looks like something only the factory could do with the original sole re glued on. I think I'll try the shoe goo and see if that can extend the life. I'll post a pic and my thoughts once I do it ;)

Yea good to know about the soles. It looks like something only the factory could do with the original sole re glued on. I think I'll try the shoe goo and see if that can extend the life. I'll post a pic and my thoughts once I do it ;)
Pretty much can tell you it won"t work. The footpegs are usually so aggressive they will just rip the shoe goo out. If you use something like epoxy it will be hard and slide off. So,,from a guy that has tried everything to save more boots then I care to count for people,,,,best of luck but I'd be calling that shoe repair guy! The factory,,, would just sell you a new sole ,,with a new boot!

It is really hard to find a good shoe repair guy that can resole stuff and make in functional these days.
If you know one,,forward his location so others can go to him, it's a die'ing profession so keep him busy and he'll be there for everyone!
If he does good work,,it would be worth the drive. The uppers are easier to repair but we can't do soles,,

He works at Masonville Mall in London next to the movie theaters. I forget the name of his shop... He's an Irish guy that rides.

I asked him to use the strongest adhesive he could, like Shoe Goo, and they are holding up well so far.

Call Rider's Choice. They will direct you to a guy in Etobicoke who does all the repairs for them. He did a great job on my leathers for just a few bucks.

Just called them. They will ask you to bring the lather to so they can take a look.

Anyone knows of a place in the Kitchener/Waterloo area?

Guy who did my boots works in the Shoppers World Mall at Hwy 10 / Steeles in Brampton. Did a great job - partial resole of front of both boots with thick rubber sole material - holding up well after 8 track days and street riding.

Alpinestars has a boot resoling service at their California facility. I had my SMX-Plus boots resoled there about 3 years ago and they came back with brand new soles. I held them up against my brand new boots and could not tell the difference. Their turn around is rather quick and the price was reasonable.

Last edited:
Looking for a leather jacket repair.

Not to Hijack, but does anyone know if IM Leathers is still going?

I know his daughter took it over after Ivan passed, but I haven't heard of anyone getting any work done by them in a while.

Yes it is, she fixed my suit in record time between track days.....extremely reasonable and very nice to deal with. Had arm, leg and back repairs......brought my gloves and boots to avakians repairs in st.catharines. Both places had me back together before my next days booked which was 10 days later!!!

Back
Top Bottom