Eavestrough Situation | GTAMotorcycle.com

Eavestrough Situation

inreb

Site Supporter
So the vinyl troughs leak at every joint, it's hopeless. Want to tear them off and fix soffit/facia before I call in the aluminum pro. The question: If I'm running sans eavestroughs for a month do my neighbours have a beef? They don't have basements and houses are 12ft away.

The neighbours might not have to worry as much as you will, if it rains and rains hard or often, all that water will be right at your foundation, and could cause problems and or a possibility of a leak into the basement, too much water can be a problem....

I hear you. My house only has basement 1/4 of the floor plan (due to addition otherwise same as basementless neighbours) and all around the basement is concrete walks sloping away. The way the troughs leak right now they might as well not be there, almost. I'm wondering if the neighbours have much of a legal beef.

Easy way to get an answer, call you local by-law office and ask, even if they did, by the time the officer came by, issued you a compliance order, you would probably already have the troughs installed...

LOL, not trying to be difficult, but, anytime I've talked to officialdom about anything house or permit related I can't get a solid answer. Seriously. But one thing I know for sure, if they nix something and you do it anyway, you're toast. Always better to plead ignance and/or mercy/forgiveness. Which will have to be the route I go anyway.

So the vinyl troughs leak at every joint, it's hopeless. Want to tear them off and fix soffit/facia before I call in the aluminum pro. The question: If I'm running sans eavestroughs for a month do my neighbours have a beef? They don't have basements and houses are 12ft away.

Neighbours have a beef if their **** is getting destroyed because of your leaky plastics. Otherwise - no.

Me & my brake are still here if you need us again.

Last edited:
Neighbours have a beef if their **** is getting destroyed because of your leaky plastics. Otherwise - no.

Me & my brake are still here if you need us again.

So far so good. I wonder why I even started this thread, stupid question.
Thanks Gary.
Couple years ago I went around to fix all the connections, what a pain in the ***. It's nothing like working at ground level. I think I'll let the pros do it.

There's an informercial for some type of aerosol goop that can keep them from leaking.

No guarantee from me on it working though... might be worth the $20 and 2 hours..

There's an informercial for some type of aerosol goop that can keep them from leaking.

No guarantee from me on it working though... might be worth the $20 and 2 hours..

Good call. Is that the guy with screen door bottom of boat?

Neighbour was complaining about the noise of my AC unit, and noticed he didnt have any eavestroughing on his house and soaking my property ..

BOOM. Pay back time! Called in bylaw and city services for a complaint. Waiting for them to show up this week and fine him ..

Neighbour was complaining about the noise of my AC unit, and noticed he didnt have any eavestroughing on his house and soaking my property ..

BOOM. Pay back time! Called in bylaw and city services for a complaint. Waiting for them to show up this week and fine him ..

:toothy2: its ok my neighbour doesn't have a/c unit

What's the going rate for eavestrough replacement these days? I have a waterfall at the front of my house but the novelty of the water feature has worn off.

As for neighbours with AC, I now have the direct number of the bylaw officer and a promise to see to the problem once and for all. I'm pretty ecstatic.

Good call. Is that the guy with screen door bottom of boat?

Yes it is. And you know what I have actually herd good things about it for the small issues like the one you have.
As noted, may be worth the little time and money?!
Even so, if you go the other route, the neighbors would never notice. I'd assure you of that. Your houses are so far apart. And from what I recall you have a mean slope lol!

FWIW really long commercial eaves troughs don't rely on the trough for being leakproof. Some have a rubber (EPDM?) liner so it doesn't matter if the joints leak.

Yes it is. And you know what I have actually herd good things about it for the small issues like the one you have.
As noted, may be worth the little time and money?!
Even so, if you go the other route, the neighbors would never notice. I'd assure you of that. Your houses are so far apart. And from what I recall you have a mean slope lol!

I've got some left over pieces vinyl eavestrough. I could get a can of that stuff for a test. Height difference between properties seems to vary from 3-6 feet. Nobody's had any water issues at all. Nobody on the street has basement except I have under the addition part of the house.

FWIW really long commercial eaves troughs don't rely on the trough for being leakproof. Some have a rubber (EPDM?) liner so it doesn't matter if the joints leak.

Interesting. Doesn't take long to fall behind these days. Will check it out.

John, you may want to investigate why you have the waterfall. It is often just a clogged drain so once the trough fills up, it starts to flow over. If you have leafguards that are supposed to stop that sort of stuff, it can still happen and then becomes a ***** to clean it out. Let me know if you want help checking it out. L

Didn't read the thread, but if somebody is eavestroughing on your private conversation, tell em to **** off.

Didn't read the thread, but if somebody is eavestroughing on your private conversation, tell em to **** off.

Joe Bass likes this ? my type of humour.

Back
Top Bottom