Stihl Trimmers/Brushcutter Reviews | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stihl Trimmers/Brushcutter Reviews

Douma

Site Supporter
After a bunch of research and online shopping, I'm about to go purchase a trimmer (Stihl FS 65 R-CE) but wanted to see if anybody here has some experience and share some comments on them.
GTAMers seem to be fellow tool crazy people, so figured I'd see what comes back.

Review of Stihl?
Any deals out there?
What other brands?

about to go purchase a trimmer (Stihl FS 65 R-CE)

Review of Stihl?
Any deals out there?
What other brands?

I think you're interested in the FS 56 R-ce?
If you have significant amt of property, it's perfect. Straight shaft vrs curved shaft - if that matters?
A bit of overkill for a regular homeowner though.

I bought my 1st Stihl gas trimmer in 1989. Not once did I service it, tune it, or bother to anything, except gas it up and pour some 2 stroke oil into it. I doubt I even measured the mix since the 1st time I used the thing. Never winterized it either.
Well, end of last season, it finally quit on me. I got 24 yrs service out of it - not even changing the spark plug - the original is still in it.
So - I took it to get fixed in the spring this yr. Wasn't worth it.
I bought another one. (Stihl FS 40. Auto feed refill. Bent shaft.) I don't have 24 yrs left in myself, so my new Stihl should be around a lot longer than me.
Only thing I don't like about the new model, compared to the old one, is balance. With the old model, I could adjust the handle and the trimmer would be perfectly balanced. The new models are def made cheaper, and adjusting the handle doesn't help, since the unit is so "top heavy".

As for deals. Forget it. They are few & far between. Owning a Stihl is the deal.
Don't waste time searching other brands (IMO).

I've had a Stihl sidewalk cutter going on close to 2 decades. It's a tank. My cousin is a landscaper (15+yrs) and all his trimmers are Stihl, but they're some hardcore model not your everyday-around-the-house one.

I have a Stihl weed eater and it works very well. Starts on the 4th or 5th pull.

After using cheap ones that never seem to survive a winter regardless of maintenance I am very happy with my Stihl. New gas in the spring, runs great and is now 6 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also have a trimmer I picked up this year and it's been great..bought it based on the advice of some friends with personal experience

Yes, 56....dyslexics untie! Sorry.

Agreed, it's a bit overkill for a regular homeowner, but I've heard better reviews of the straight shaft over a bent shaft. Also, the 56 is on sale for the same price as the 40.

Might just have to go see and feel both and decide then.

Stihl makes very good products.

I have their blower and their chainsaw. The blower is used regularly. Sometimes 3 times a week.

When it comes to Trimmers though, and I'm qualified to comment because I bought and used my sisters Stihl trimmer with straight shaft last year. The Honda is light years better.

The Honda is a 4 stroke, so just gas up and go, no need to worry about mixing.

Right off the bat, when comparing the 2, the Honda is built better, and the trigger was way more responsive. Very important when you want to do gentle trimming and just need a bit of throttle. The Stihl vibrates quite a bit more than the Honda and didn't feel as refined.

Yes, you pay more for the Honda, but IMHO its worth it. Mines 10 years old, still runs like brand new and compared to my sisters year old Stihl, so much better.

http://powerequipment.honda.ca/trimmers/hht25sl

Sent from my Z30 with Tapatalk

Last edited:
I love Stihl products... have a hedge trimmer, chain saw and weed trimmer.

If you can get one with their easy start on it go for it, totally worth it.

I use all Stihl products, I can say with confidence they are worth the money. Mind you all my gear is pro series but my guys probably put a min of 5 hours a day on the line trimmers. My oldest trimmer is a 08 and it "Stihl" works. Get a straight shaft, you can flip trim beds and ding weeds easier. If you really got money to burn get the kombi series - we have one powerhead and multiple attachments...its awesome. Used it today. 6 hours of pruning before mother nature ****** on us. PS Honda's are heavy.

I've worked for a Stihl dealer for 20+ years. (Rentals, sales & service).

We have tried others in rent (Honda).
No others have come close to the quality of Stihl.
We have countless people bringing in crap trimmers for fixing.
Most of the time, they are further ahead to replace with a new one.

Stihl has seasonal sales. Best time to pick one up.
Best to move up a bit from basic entry level and go with something a bit beefier.
If you are looking for possibly changing out the trimmer head for other applications, look at the powerhead units then add the attachment you want.

The tiller attachment is fantastic for small gardens, and the edger is also first rate!

I have an echo Brush cutter (10 years old) an echo hedge trimmer and an echo leaf blower (5 years old) and they are really great. the later 2 have the quick start motors and have worked flawlessly.

Use the echo 2 stroke gas mix to avoid gumming up the carbs.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Got the unit home last night. Fired up on the second half-effort pull. That Easy2Start is true to its name. In the 5 minutes I tested it out the vibration is much less than I had expected, and its well balanced. Hopefully get YEARS of trouble free use out of this thing.

I only use mine for personal yard work and it has required zero maintenance since I got it.

My only recommendation would be to put fresh gas in it every spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the choice - I would only use Stihl - and have been for over ten years commercially - from line trimmers to extended hedge trimmers and saws. Awesome products.

I have also used Honda, Echo, Kawasaki and others, but still prefer Stihl for one reason or another.

Back
Top Bottom