Racer5 Stages 1,2&3 Intro to track program - highly recommended | GTAMotorcycle.com

Racer5 Stages 1,2&3 Intro to track program - highly recommended

rider64

Quick review of the Racer5 intro to track program (stages 1-3).

Just completed a three day intro to track program put on by Racer5 at Grand Bend Motorplex, and I can highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in getting a taste of track riding (or just improve their bike handling).

Racer5 provides the instructors, bikes (CBR125) and gear (if you want). You will need to bring a Snell 2010 helmet.

Day 1 is a gentle introduction to the track, the bikes and riding behind the instructor.
Day 2 increases the speed, lean angle and also some overtaking on the straights (if you are light enough)
Day 3 is try to get your knee down day and also emulates track day conditions (mixed groups, overtaking)

There are quite a lot of riders in the course (I think we had about 50), but they are split into groups of 4-6 riders, and only 2 groups are on the track for each session (which lasts about 15 mins).
Overall I think the amount of track time is sufficient (although there was some "classroom" instruction on race procedures on day 2 which took up a lot of time).
You will have about 1/2 hour in between sessions to debrief and re-hydrate.
Lunch was usually about 1 hour (time varied).

What I liked the most is that there is minimum technical jargon and lots of practice. Also learning on a CBR125 makes it much less intimidating (with 12hp) - and hanging off the bike at 90km on the long sweeper will still get your heart pounding (so dont focus on the cc's). Its an ideal learning vehicle, and much harder to kill yourself than on a 600cc or similar. Also these bikes appear to be almost indestructible - believe me, we tried! - and cheap to fix (the mechanic was busy that weekend...). The one downside was that the bikes are pretty beat up, and may not be 100% working condition (broken tachometer, vague gear changes), but it wasnt a big problem.

This is mainly a course for people who have not done track riding before, but there were some people who already had their track bike and they said they still got something out of it.

After doing this program you can apply for a race license and also go to Racer5 track days and rent bikes from them (starting with the 125 of course!).

Great people, great time - I am hooked and looking forward to my first track day.
icon11.png

Last edited:
I did all 3 stages this past weekend as well and completely agree...highly recommend.

Great time with great people!

What happened to the guy that broke his collar bone on the first day?

Fawaz runs a good show, you don't have to have high horsepower to have a lot of fun. Lower horsepower machines teach riding efficiency. You can't make up time with the throttle easily. Mistakes show up quickly in the lap times

I did this course this past weekend as well!

Paul was an awesome instructor with my yellow group. He kept pushing our group to lean better, go faster, and have tighter lines.

It was pretty well paced except when you got stuck behind laggers or people who didn't keep their lines :( that definitely ruined the consistency to have good lap times, especially when you have restricted passing zones.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The one thing I would worry about with 125s is much less opportunity to learn/practice braking. How was your experience with that?

There is quite a few opportunities on GrandBend's track to brake especially with turn 2 and 3 - you come out of turn 1 with so much speed you aren't able to scrub off enough speed to lean into the turn and make a tight line. A lot of people crashed between turn 2 and 3 from running ride and going cross country - there were at least 4 red flags on the last day.

One of the newer things I got to learn was trail braking - something I would not do with my own bike in the case I crash and suffer the consequences of improperly doing it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Excellent, excellent course. I participated in the 3 days run a month ago, and would easily do it all over again. I too was worried that I would be underwhelmed with with only a 125, but as has been said, it only servers to help identify your weakness.

Poor corner entry results in a poor exit, which was painfully obvious on almost all corners when done incorrectly. Lacking the horsepower to drive out when done poorly, you would noticed a marked improvement when your break points, turn in points, body position, and exits all came together. It was incredibly satisfying to churn out a few great laps, and gave you something to think about between sessions when you found yourself lagging out of a corner. I only ever yearned for more track time to develop more talent. Not that there was a shortage of track time. I sat out the last session of Day 2 simply due to exhaustion, and having had a few needless close calls the session previous. You simply cannot drink enough water on a hot track day.

Braking was something which was not touched on in great detail. Trail braking was explicitly not taught, however that doesn't mean you can't try and explore that. Running the modified track, coming out of the turn 1/2 with speed into 3/4 did provide plenty of opportunity to practice braking, as does the approach to the large carousal at the end of the back straight.

What I walked away the most impressed with was how much you are able to focus on your riding, and on the bike. Riding in the streets becomes an exercise in survival, and only when you take the element away on the track do you really get to pay attention to the riding itself. Taking the same corners over and over, making small deliberate changes to your body position, corner entry, braking and vision, all added up to a noticeable improvement that simply cannot be had on the streets. I remember coming out the top corner onto the back straight after a very early corner entry, trying desperately to pull the bike up and out of the corner to not hit the beat up runway next to it - I was actually able to feel it under steer and try and pull away. On the street that would drive fear and panic into my heart, immediately worrying me of the impending contact with the car in the next lane, or the guardrail two across, wanting me to park the bike for fear of becoming road kill.

On the track, it was an invitation to try harder, to try something different, to note the mistake, figure out why it happened, and come back around on the next session to conquer it. All on a little 125cc machine. I keep awake at night, looking forward to the day I haul 250 from the road to the track.

On top of all the great riding, the instruction itself was fantastic. Fawaz and his team area stellar crew, offering all the information and guidance you could ask for. They did a great job of keeping this cool, keeping everyone hydrated, and most of all making sure everyone walked away with as few injuries as possible.

Bermuda, when you say trail braking was not taught, did you do all 3 days as well?

Edit: Whoops, you say that in your opening paragraph.

Last edited:
The one thing I would worry about with 125s is much less opportunity to learn/practice braking. How was your experience with that?

It honestly depends on your skill level and comfort zone. The group I was in (same one was Cowmooflage) was by far the fastest one in yellow. Even going out first, we lapped whatever group that started after us within 3-4 laps. At the pace we were going at, braking was mandatory and all of us had some sketchy moments at turn 2 or 3 (if you **** up 2, you will **** up 3). We were also very comfortable with one another due to riding together for 2 years so some dive bombing and very late passing occurred. As Cowmooflage said, our instructor was awesome because he kept our egos in check and prevented any accidents ('cept a tiny one, watch the video lol)

BTW, DIVE BOMBING AND LATE PASSING ARE NOT ENCOURAGED AND FROWNED UPON

Racer5 emphasized safety; we kept the hooligan stuff between our group.

The thing that Racer5 surprised me with most was how much fun we had on 125Rs. It also opened my eyes and made me realize that I am not ready to track my GSXR750. We are planning to attend the RDT trackdays in August and are debating between the 125s or 250s; I honestly feel that I had another 10%-20% before I could say I'm 100% comfortable with the CBR125.

Here are some videos =)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLY2650tJNZTzVZjR4b26RXuL4Ma4XmTi4

Bermuda, when you say trail braking was not taught, did you do all 3 days as well?

Trail braking wasn't taught explicitly in our group. It was something that Paul (our instructor) mentioned briefly and some of us applied. Trail braking is not necessary to corner properly but helps with confidence levels because it keeps the suspension stable.

Last edited:
油井緋色;2196493 said:
all of us had some sketchy moments at turn 2 or 3

Some worse than others... ;) I'm hoping to get videos up in the next few days

Some worse than others... ;) I'm hoping to get videos up in the next few days

Bahahahha, glad you made it out scratchless. Some weren't so lucky =(

Fawaz runs a good show, you don't have to have high horsepower to have a lot of fun. Lower horsepower machines teach riding efficiency. You can't make up time with the throttle easily. Mistakes show up quickly in the lap times

That's pretty much it. Seeing what can be done with a 125, I now feel like I'm using about 10% of my street bike.

That's pretty much it. Seeing what can be done with a 125, I now feel like I'm using about 10% of my street bike.

After doing one 4 day weekend and 2 track days with Fawaz I agree 100%. It also gave me much more confidence riding in the rain should I get caught. We had 3 sessions in the wet at Grand Bend on the 125's which really surprised me how well you can still ride if your smooth. I am seriously trying to find a weekend when I can do an endurance race at GB.

At first I thought I wouldn't be able to get used to those 125s (mind you they are pretty beat up)... but after a couple of sessions it was fine... and by the 3rd day I had my knee down on every corner.

I highly recommend the course.

I had a great weekend too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course you did.. You had the best group! ;-p

Back
Top Bottom