lots of backfiring, popping on deceleration | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

lots of backfiring, popping on deceleration

Generally slapping a full aftermarket system on a bike will require a jet kit, so worth checking that out first. Even if it is not the only cause of the problem it will improve how it rides and delivers power :)

this does not seem to matter, I have used, Shell, CT, Husky, and tried the 87 and 91 octain, seems to be the same if memory serves me right...

right now it's 91 from Husky, but will try the 87 next go around from Shell or CT

use Petro 91 for carb'd bike, try it out.

pops out the exhaust are not neccessarily a bad thing, cam/engine mods can cause this, its the nature of the animal. you have alot going on there, exhaust leaks is not what id be chasing, intake leaks or lean jetting/timing. new plugs and a good run down the hw, read the plugs. if you are certain that the intake is sealed and the carbs are kosher, have a bud with a cigarette round your exhaust ports. the smoke will show you the way

try the link from mik for some good reads too. the bible per say!! link

all stock except the pipe, well it's the only thing I put on, the plugs are new, the electrical has been checked, new plug boots as well...

might be time to lite up a COHIBA and watch the smoke...LOL

don't need a highway run, bike is run more or less hard even in the city, I generally like spirited riding so the shifts are very close to redline most times.....my commute is short, but fast....

Generally slapping a full aftermarket system on a bike will require a jet kit, so worth checking that out first. Even if it is not the only cause of the problem it will improve how it rides and delivers power :)

This typically true, and why I am leaning towards a jet kit, but I will exhaust all other possibilities first, air leaks, electrical, etc....

use Petro 91 for carb'd bike, try it out.

I have a dislike for Petro Can.......a Canadian Gas Company supposedly and they charge just as much and sometimes more with the rest of the stations around, sorry they don't get my business, but maybe I try one tank full......

Try Shell 91, it's ethanol free. The bike won't run as lean as with fuel that has ethanol in it. IIRC both CTC and Costco 91 are ethanol free as well.

Try Shell 91, it's ethanol free. The bike won't run as lean as with fuel that has ethanol in it. IIRC both CTC and Costco 91 are ethanol free as well.

full tank of this (Shell 91) unfortunately still backfiring.....no more and no less

time to check on the plugs, if they were not such a pain to get at....

or

get a jet kit and see what happens....

Did you try backing out your idle screws a bit? Can't remember if they have to be drilled out to access the screw head though.

What DJM said. I can't see on your pics, but there's a decent chance that the pilot/idle screw plugs were already drilled out by a previous owner. Back out all 4 screws by a 1/4 turn then go for a ride. Repeat as necessary.

Thanks

I don't have a jet kit, but I think it just might be the way to go, especially if I don't find an air leaks

I am leaning towards the Factory Pro kit, have heard good things about them

I put a dynojet kit in my fz750, it worked great.

Also dont order a factory pro kit, I did for my YZF750 and regretted it, The kit comes with non threaded jets and the canadian model has threaded ones for the mikuni cv carbs

Well, after much time, mostly doing nothing about this, I have or so it appears to have stopped the popping and backfiring.......

I was checking over the bike, and just randomly going over nuts and bolts, and had the wrench in my hand and put it on the exhaust bolts, well I'll be a monkey's uncle.......

2 out 8 were loose, so I tightened them up, the others didn't budge, so they were nice and tight.....

took the bike out to work tonight, and WOW, not a single backfire or pop out of the exhaust during deceleration......I am so pleased...

I was told it could be an exhaust leak, I did check the bolts and nuts before, maybe I missed this somehow, maybe I thought they were all on nice and tight, but it seems they were not.....

So now the bike sounds really good, at least it's not an embarassement anymore....

Thanks for all the suggestions and assistance....

Good to hear it wasn't a complex issue.

Well not so fast......as they say.....

Seems it's not completely gone, there is still some, but this might be a bit normal, and could be a carb adjustment that is due.....

But overall it's much better, and a lot more quieter to ride now.....

I too am glad it was a relative simple fix, just need to fine tune it now......time to do some plug chops......

Looks good. Can definitely tell it's an '85 by the single headlight. In '86 they went to a much better performing dual beam pattern, although physically the same size. I put an 80/100 watt bulb and a relay in mine to improve the lighting.

Thanks....

PlastiDip paint job only, for now, will strip it down and have it painted properly over the winter I hope, I just wanted to ride the bike this season....

The headlight, I took out the stock bulb and put in a HID hi/lo bulb, mind you I only ride once a week at night if that, so I really don't have a high concern for great light, more there for my safety during the day, so the cagers at least have something to see, not that they do....

over all it's been a great ride for this season.....

Back
Top Bottom