Leaning Curves RRRev it? Anyone done this? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Leaning Curves RRRev it? Anyone done this?

DDean

Site Supporter
I did their foundations course and think that I would benefit from some on road instruction: I dont want to create my own bad habits. LC used to offer "Street Proofing" rides but appears to have stopped those and now does RRRev Its instead. Its cheap - wondering if anyone has done it.

http://www.learningcurves.ca/courses/

RRRev it! Refresher Training Learn the necessary skills to ride like an expert. This course is geared to building your confidence, improving your performance, and protecting you from ‘incidents’. It’s a great introduction to group riding and a relaxed preparation for M licence testing, or a sociable refresher for riders who haven’t been out there for a while. Learn precision bike-handling techniques and accident-avoidance skills in a small group setting. We coach renewed breaking and cornering techniques, tight turns and real-life traffic awareness. Enjoy learning curves with our friendly and savvy instructors.
You will need either an M2 or M licence. Your own bike and safety equipment is required.
6 hours of coaching from 9am to 4pm either Saturday or Sunday at our Honda Canada Campus location in Markham. Dates are under ‘locations and schedules’.
The cost is $99 plus hst = $111.87. $49 plus hst = $55.37 to graduates of a Learning Curves M2 or M licensing program.

I would go with a coach that knows the difference between braking and breaking...but that's just me.

Seems like a lot to pay for something you could learn from just riding with an experienced group. There are sometimes group rides posted here and you could just ask if anyone would help you out. Good idea to practice good habits in general though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's trying to keep up to an experienced group that can pose the problem. :)

Seriously, it's a good idea. Do not go to "experienced" riders for advice, because many times, "experienced" means they haven't crashed yet.

Rev It is a new course we are offering geared towards intermediate-advanced rider training.

It is primarily a parking-lot based course, but if there was interest from the class to do on-street group riding we would gladly cater.

The goal is to allow riders to progress in a safe environment with expert instruction. We would be having you practise a variety of things on your own bike ranging from slow manoeuvres, gymkhana style manoeuvres, higher speed cornering and braking techniques. There is an element of instructor discretion in exercise choice so if a group wants to practise something specific there is room for that.

Our goal is to not only see a progression in our students confidence and riding ability during the course, but to give them a multitude of tools that they can use to further improve their skills on their own time. We can provide you with simple exercises using parking spot yellow outlines as markers all the way to elaborate gymkhana set ups.

Because of the instructor discretion in exercise choice this could develop into an ongoing class where the themes change (gymkhana training day, advanced cornering day, braking and obstacle avoidance day, etc). Maybe a package course over 4 individual days (spaced a week apart) where students will get a taste of different themes. This course is in its' infancy and we really want to provide our motorcycle community with what they really need. Because of that, this course is somewhat flexible in its' contents. In essence it could evolve into whatever the community wants it to be!

We will provide you with an evaluation of your skills, let you know the things you should work on most in order to become the most balanced rider, and provide you with a template in order to improve those skills. Students will leave Rev It feeling like they have better control of their motorcycle, as well as having a sense of what they need to work on in order to continue to gain confidence.

Our belief is that a rider who has the ability to put their bike where they want it, when they want it, has a better chance at managing risks on the road than the rider who does not have that ability. Our goal is to provide you with not only the skill, but the confidence that you can control your motorcycle and put it where you want it, when you want it. This skill set will allow you to become a safer rider.

I'll start a new thread asking community members what they would enjoy learning in a course like this. Again, we have the course outline set up already but would love to evolve with the community and really cater to your wants/needs.

EDIT- below post was done prior to the above response from LC. Thanks the taking the time LC. Sounds good - not what I was thinking but probably well worth it anyways.

Im looking for generally what I should be doing on the road to pass my M2exit, when I go to do it. I want to develop proper habits because I dont think that I could pass a driving test in my car for the life of me, despite having instructed at Mosport!

A group ride is the LAST place Im going to learn that stuff!

Last edited:
Seriously, it's a good idea. Do not go to "experienced" riders for advice, because many times, "experienced" means they haven't crashed yet.

Or someone who is full of bad habits.
Like me.

Also, even if the rider is skilled, there is difference between riding well, and teaching others to ride well.

For $100 plus tax is probably worth it.

the m2-exit course is probably your best option at this time. More expensive than $100 but well worth it. You get expert instruction aimed primarily at catering your skills to be successful for the test. It consists of group riding with frequent stops so that the instructor can critique/praise your riding habits on the street. You are also tested in-house.

Im going to do your M2x but I cant do it yet (its too soon, I need another year). I figure that I may as well practice proper habits in the meantime.

Seems like Revvits a good idea regardless - for $50 its probably a no brainer

Can I ask what specific exercises in a parking lot could be performed to teach an "experienced rider" anything they could use in the real world except for not falling in his face in a tight turn exiting the timmies parking lot?

Or what is your definition of "experienced rider"?

Last edited:
What's the customer service like with Learning Curves? I booked this course with them because I stopped riding for years and figure take this to help get rid some of the rust. I left them the date I want and CC/info but they still haven't booked me in. I called a few times and they said they are swamped... really how swamped are you to not process orders? ........I'm going to call back in a few days..... anyway I had much better experience with RTI administration/customer service. I should have taken the intermediate riding course with RTI.........

To be experienced you have to crash?

There could be some truth in that....one place I studied at they chose the safety officer for the labs as he was the one who had had the most explosions and written off the most equipment.

Regardless, I think the idea of having a few more courses available to teach low speed manoevers and non-race oriented bike handling would be good. Tons of people don't want to take race courses but would like to add real-life riding skills. Even adding components like riding on gravel (with the roads here you're always going to hit some somewhere) would be helpful for quite a few people. It's all about adding confidence. However, I agree that you need good instructors for this.

For what it's worth I had a great experience with Learning Curves (went through their M1 Exit weekend last fall). The instructors were all bike junkies and they adjusted their instruction to every single rider's skill level. I'm 100% going to do my M2 Exit with them next year.

This is a UK course that ends in a police rider monitored exam and gets you a discount on your insurance (in the UK).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorbikes/9971230/IAM-motorcycle-course-review.html

This one also covers topics like carrying passengers and a lot of other stuff http://www.artmotorcycletraining.co.uk/advanced_motorcycle_training.htm

I'd happily sign up for any of these and if you could ever get a standardised course that insurers would use to reduce premiums you'd have a real money spinner on your hands (yes, I know this is unlikely).

Lastly, as much bashing as the cops get on this site I think a course where their motorcycle riders were involved would be a good one on many levels. Removing some of the "us and them" suspicion, fostering a bit of goodwill, probably removing some bad habits and also learning some valuable skills.

Back
Top Bottom