Anyone Smoke? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone Smoke?

Bradley smoker is a really great piece of kit. But all it does is smoke. But that's all its designed to do, so it does it very well, the Bradley has been around for years and the guide is really idiot proof, no real guess work about over smoking, temps and timing. It's very consistent and that can produce less waste in the long run because you don't get inedible product. Part of the charm of charcoal smoking is the process and learning curve, but there is something to consistent results.

Thanks for the reply, crankcall. I kind of like the idiot proof aspect of the Bradley, but not really happy with the limitations of it.

Where do I sign up to be apart of this smoking-coalition. (see what I did there?).
I'd love to buy a smoker, but lack any real time to dedicate to a 4-8hour smoke-off.

I will be willing to contribute bad jokes, half decent craft brews, and cashola to offset the possibility of letting loose a fart here and there and for a bite of your magnificently smoke-ringed creations.

I am finding weather has a lot to do with the results. Going to need an enclosure to smoke in and watch for calm days.

Generally it's the wind that messes with the smoker, put up a bit of a wind-break.

I've been sing a 22-1/2" WSM for a couple of years now and have enjoyed really good BBQ. At home, we stopped roasting turkey in the kitchen, smoking the xmas bird takes about 3 hours for a 15 pounder and frees-up the oven for other goodies. Smoked turkey is amazing.

Generally it's the wind that messes with the smoker, put up a bit of a wind-break.

I've been sing a 22-1/2" WSM for a couple of years now and have enjoyed really good BBQ. At home, we stopped roasting turkey in the kitchen, smoking the xmas bird takes about 3 hours for a 15 pounder and frees-up the oven for other goodies. Smoked turkey is amazing.

The father in law got a Green Egg a couple months back, he smoked a turkey for us this thanksgiving and it took less time to smoke it (at a lower temperature) than in in oven, though gravy and stuffing weren't done via the smoker.

Where do I sign up to be apart of this smoking-coalition. (see what I did there?).
I'd love to buy a smoker, but lack any real time to dedicate to a 4-8hour smoke-off.

I will be willing to contribute bad jokes, half decent craft brews, and cashola to offset the possibility of letting loose a fart here and there and for a bite of your magnificently smoke-ringed creations.

Sadly smoking requires time... though some stuff you can get away with smoking for a couple hours. I think some of the electric ones you can get away with a set and forget like a crock pot though.

We cant smoke turkey because its not really to everyones taste, my brother lived for a couple years in the Carolinas so he thinks even the salad should be smoked but the other folks I feed like oven bird. An enclosure it a good idea and it doesn't have to be fancy. a really good smoker rig is immune to wind and exterior tempos, but they cost the moon. The Bradley smoker can sit in your garage, is just like a coffee maker, set the timer and temp and walk away. But its not the ritual of charcoal which I enjoy. When doing a lot of pork for a party I've been known to start at 10pm and get up every two hrs to tend the fire and baste all night, there is no such thing as not enough time to BBQ.

We cant smoke turkey because its not really to everyones taste, my brother lived for a couple years in the Carolinas so he thinks even the salad should be smoked but the other folks I feed like oven bird. An enclosure it a good idea and it doesn't have to be fancy. a really good smoker rig is immune to wind and exterior tempos, but they cost the moon. The Bradley smoker can sit in your garage, is just like a coffee maker, set the timer and temp and walk away. But its not the ritual of charcoal which I enjoy. When doing a lot of pork for a party I've been known to start at 10pm and get up every two hrs to tend the fire and baste all night, there is no such thing as not enough time to BBQ.

BBQ just requires some planning and sometimes team work

It's that time of year again

17113086625_7a9b601398_o.jpg

at this point it's done

16905696497_bbb72af4c0_o.jpg

Thing was like a 3 inch steak. Mmmm

This thread single hand idly forced me to go out and buy a smoker to replace my unused propane BBQ.. I can't wait to try my first piece of smoked meat (made by me) ever!

I got the Weber One Touch 22.5. Good advice in this thread!

This thread single hand idly forced me to go out and buy a smoker to replace my unused propane BBQ.. I can't wait to try my first piece of smoked meat (made by me) ever!

Perfect unit to start on.
I have a 22.5 kettle and an 18.5 wsm and I use the kettle almost exclusively. ribs, shoulder, roast, turkey, chicken, jerky......all on the kettle.
Just use a 'fuse' or 'C' method for longer cooks and it does everything that the big ones do.

To add versatility I picked up one of those smoking boxes that hold wood chips, I found if you toss wood chips in with the charcoal they burn up fast and you have to toss more in regardless of how long you soak them. With charcoal wood chunks are ideal but some times you can't get the flavours you want in chunk form or they're hella expensive.

The master chef ones wee discontinued and may be available for a bargain price (I paid $2.50) at Canadian tire

Large sweet onion rings dipped in Sriracha, wrapped in bacon and a bit of rib rub.

Smoker for an hour. Mmmm

To add versatility I picked up one of those smoking boxes that hold wood chips, I found if you toss wood chips in with the charcoal they burn up fast and you have to toss more in regardless of how long you soak them. With charcoal wood chunks are ideal but some times you can't get the flavours you want in chunk form or they're hella expensive.

The master chef ones wee discontinued and may be available for a bargain price (I paid $2.50) at Canadian tire

The wood chips for smoker boxes are just stupid expensive. I found a couple sources that are cheap and sometimes free, find an arborist tree removal guy in your area and tell him when hes taking down an oak/maple/fruit tree you'd like a couple pieces, they give them to you. If you near an orchard when they prune collect larger branches, most high end lumberyards (monegans in peterborough) have shorts and spit ends that are pretty cheap. Couple minutes with a hatchet and you've got lots of chips, rent a home depot chipper for a couple hrs and you have a lifetime of chips.

some people say to soak the chips so they last longer, but i just get steam and less happy smoke, I stopped soaking them after the first try.

Smoke some salmon filets on cedar planks...mmm good. When your done, split the burned-on-one-side planks, and reuse them to smoke other meals later on. A peameal pork loin is particularly good with a strip of cedar for smoke.

Back
Top Bottom