Anyone Smoke? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone Smoke?

I started smoking a couple years ago using a Weber Smokey Mountain. I thought about going with the Green Egg but I couldn't get my head around the price. Since then, I've had pretty much everything in it; I even smoked some burgers before finishing them off in my Weber One-Touch. I've had as many as 6 pork shoulders in it at once, great little smoker.

For the bricket vs lump, I use lump in the smoker and brickets in the One-Touch. Lump has a nice smell and doesn't emit any chemical smell as it lights up the unused lump when it burns down. On the BBQ, the brickets burn more consistent so I don't end up with any hot spots.

Webber smokey mountain 18" half price at home Depot right now. $170, smoking deal.

Did some pork back ribs and potatoes today. put the meat on at about 11:30 and the potatoes went on about 3 and everything came off about 5:30... the meat fell off the bones. the only thing i did was use a rub on the ribs. I used the charcoal chimney to get my charcoal going and 1/2 way through I realised I didn't load enough charcoal in (only used what would fit in the chimney). Further reading showed me I should be using "the minion method" where you load charcoal around a coffee can in the smoker and then get the charcoal chimney going and pour that into the area where the coffee can was. also lump charcoal supposedly works better than the briquettes so will be trying that next. for the cost I can't complain, I just have to realise the limitations of a $60 smoker.

Did some pork back ribs and potatoes today. put the meat on at about 11:30 and the potatoes went on about 3 and everything came off about 5:30... the meat fell off the bones. the only thing i did was use a rub on the ribs. I used the charcoal chimney to get my charcoal going and 1/2 way through I realised I didn't load enough charcoal in (only used what would fit in the chimney). Further reading showed me I should be using "the minion method" where you load charcoal around a coffee can in the smoker and then get the charcoal chimney going and pour that into the area where the coffee can was. also lump charcoal supposedly works better than the briquettes so will be trying that next. for the cost I can't complain, I just have to realise the limitations of a $60 smoker.

Do you recall the temperature the lid was showing?

Something I tried for a smaller meal was using a smaller fire pot for the charcoal. I bought a stainless steel colander / spaghetti strainer at Dollarama for $3.00 and start the fire outside the smoker. I use an old hair blower, fan only, to fan the coals. Works a charm but make sure the little sparks don't create a 911 BBQ by burning down the house.

Once I get the charcoal started I put the colander in the base and then replace the mid section etc.

Still experimenting here.

Look up the snake method on youtube... great for real low and slow cooks, very little attendance necessary (if any).

Do you recall the temperature the lid was showing?

Something I tried for a smaller meal was using a smaller fire pot for the charcoal. I bought a stainless steel colander / spaghetti strainer at Dollarama for $3.00 and start the fire outside the smoker. I use an old hair blower, fan only, to fan the coals. Works a charm but make sure the little sparks don't create a 911 BBQ by burning down the house.

Once I get the charcoal started I put the colander in the base and then replace the mid section etc.

Still experimenting here.

the lid read 175 but i know for the $60 my smoker cost the thing probably isn't accurate. waiting on the laser temp guns to go on sale and to grab a wireless meat prob.

the lid read 175 but i know for the $60 my smoker cost the thing probably isn't accurate. waiting on the laser temp guns to go on sale and to grab a wireless meat prob.

The maverick 732 is a great wireless thermometer, it has two probes, one for your cooker and one for your meat.

For a bullet smoker the minion method as follows is almost fool proof - fill your charcoal ring full of unlit briquettes and add 20-30 lit briquettes on top from the chimney.

I find briquettes work better in the bullet smoker and lump works better in my komodo style.

Look up the snake method on youtube... great for real low and slow cooks, very little attendance necessary (if any).

Looked at the snake method, I'm not sure how well that will work in this smoker, looks like long burning and low heat but better suited to a grill not a smoker. maybe can do more jerky like stuff with the smoker?

The maverick 732 is a great wireless thermometer, it has two probes, one for your cooker and one for your meat.

For a bullet smoker the minion method as follows is almost fool proof - fill your charcoal ring full of unlit briquettes and add 20-30 lit briquettes on top from the chimney.

I find briquettes work better in the bullet smoker and lump works better in my komodo style.

Where do i find said wireless thermometer? Picked up a cheap oven one that hangs in your oven, the difference between the included lid thermo and the one i just bought is astounding... How ever still gotta open the door to see what's going on. The temp gauge on the lid is reading below 150, the gauge on the rack is reading 225...

trying the minion method today with a mix of briquettes (in the chimney) and lumps (in a ring around outside). seems to be working well, tossed some corn on the cob in there and doing up some chicken breasts.

Looked at the snake method, I'm not sure how well that will work in this smoker, looks like long burning and low heat but better suited to a grill not a smoker. maybe can do more jerky like stuff with the smoker?

Where do i find said wireless thermometer? Picked up a cheap oven one that hangs in your oven, the difference between the included lid thermo and the one i just bought is astounding... How ever still gotta open the door to see what's going on. The temp gauge on the lid is reading below 150, the gauge on the rack is reading 225...

trying the minion method today with a mix of briquettes (in the chimney) and lumps (in a ring around outside). seems to be working well, tossed some corn on the cob in there and doing up some chicken breasts.

Everything you didn't know that you didn't know about smoking

http://amazingribs.com/index.html

Also, has links to the maverick. I also use it and love it. Great thermometer and the wireless is a nice touch in the winter.

Everything you didn't know that you didn't know about smoking

http://amazingribs.com/index.html

Also, has links to the maverick. I also use it and love it. Great thermometer and the wireless is a nice touch in the winter.

I've been checking that site out Lots of good stuff, also found smoking meat forums (where I found the minion method).

http://www.bbqs.com/wireless-dual-probe-bbq-smoker-remote.html

As for lump I usually go with dragons breath, it burns well and has a cool bag. Maple leaf lump is a good cheap charcoal.

As for briquettes Kingsford blue is pretty much the standard.

Ya.....I pretty much use kingsford blue exclusively. Ribs, pulled pork, chicken....it's just good constant tameable heat. Then depending on the meat I use either apple or oak for flavour.

Quit smoking tobacco in 08 but still enjoy some of the lord's lettuce:D BBQ can be just as good if not better then a smoker!

I've been looking at the Browning Kamado Grill/Smoker all summer. It's a cheaper version of the Big Green Egg but still couldn't justify the $699 price tag. I saw it on sale at Lowe's for $599 and got another 15% off because they were giving discounts for all purchases over $300 this past weekend. $500 seems reasonable so I bought it. They are even assembling it for free. I can't wait to get it home and start experimenting with it.

http://www.lowes.ca/charcoal-bbqs-grills/browning-kamado-charcoal-grill_g1808961.html

Has anyone tried the Bradley smokers? I'm debating on what to buy or just do a really cheap smoker while I learn how to smoke sausages and such that I'm going to make from scratch. The book I got shows how to build one using a couple of cardboard boxes... shows other more costly, advanced methods too. I was thinking about the komodo that Canadian tire has because it includes the electric starter and seems to have really good reviews but I'm just not sure what I want to do yet. I kind of like the set and forget it aspect to the Bradley. But you are limited to using their little patties/bricks and reviews seems to say that you waste one at start, and end of the process which increases the cost, but that they have stainless steel ones to use so no waste .. I'm confused..

For the different cuts of meat, check out the local market or farmers market. My local market has a great butcher willing to help with the necessary cure needed and casings to make pepperonis, even showed me the different casings and how they effect the smoke/drying of the sausage.:)

Has anyone tried the Bradley smokers? I'm debating on what to buy or just do a really cheap smoker while I learn how to smoke sausages and such that I'm going to make from scratch. The book I got shows how to build one using a couple of cardboard boxes... shows other more costly, advanced methods too. I was thinking about the komodo that Canadian tire has because it includes the electric starter and seems to have really good reviews but I'm just not sure what I want to do yet. I kind of like the set and forget it aspect to the Bradley. But you are limited to using their little patties/bricks and reviews seems to say that you waste one at start, and end of the process which increases the cost, but that they have stainless steel ones to use so no waste .. I'm confused..

For the different cuts of meat, check out the local market or farmers market. My local market has a great butcher willing to help with the necessary cure needed and casings to make pepperonis, even showed me the different casings and how they effect the smoke/drying of the sausage.:)

Don't waste money on cheap crap. Buy a weber one touch silver 22.5. It retails for $119 and box stores are looking to get rid of them this time of year. It will handle anything you want to throw at it and will smoke just as well as the big ones. I've done ribs, pulled pork (over 18lbs at a time), whole turkeys....all without a problem. On top of that it's a brilliant little grill.
Forget about electric start as well. Buy a $12 chimney starter and starting charcoal is dead easy. I use the side burner of my propane BBQ for about 90 seconds and leave it. Works like a charm.

My 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom