Wth. .. 2009+ zx6r.. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wth. .. 2009+ zx6r..

Your looking for a serious race bike for as cheap as possible. It can be done but won't be cheap in the long run, plan on a motor rebuild every 2 years. Both of those bikes have a season left in the motor then $3000 to freshen them
up.

Last edited:
thanks Dricked.. will keep that in mind...

saw a r6 with a similar build... i guess ninja's really are hard to find...will keep looking.
Your looking for a serious race bike for as cheap as possible. It can be done but won't be cheap in the long run, plan on a motor rebuild every 2 years.

nobody said its gonna be cheap.. :(.. its easier to spread maintenance expense over the winter than to fork out $15K... thanks for the advice dricked.. i hadn't considered the cost of a motor re-haul..

Your looking for a serious race bike for as cheap as possible. It can be done but won't be cheap in the long run, plan on a motor rebuild every 2 years. Both of those bikes have a season left in the motor then $3000 to freshen them
up.

Last edited:
Ya trying to spread out a motor rebuild will ensure your not riding when the season starts, you've got to get it in as early as possible. I hate that I know this stuff and my wallet hates it more.

R6's are the most competitive 600 package in the major leagues which is why you'll find so many of them. A bike that's widely used will mean plenty of spares and used aftermarket parts can be found. Gsxr's are next on the list.

Try and look for something that's a little less extreme and ride it for a season or two then move up to the bike you really want. I started on a bone stock 600 with bodywork, beat on it for a season, lost $100 (not including maintenance parts) and rode it without caring if it went flying down the track in a fiery ball of awesomeness. Not caring about crashing will make you faster than full suspension especially on a modern bike. You'll have more things to buy like stands/warmers/generator/canopy/gear that will add up very quickly and worrying about a motor that you don't really need sucks. If you have to run race fuel you'll add another $130 to your day at the track too.

If you don't want to race, then I doubt you need anything with internal engine work. Standard pipe / FI mapping should be fine. At that standard I don't think your price is unreasonable. No one who puts suspension and track plastic (and exhaust and FI computer) on a track bike is going to get their money back out of it again. It just doesn't happen. Good stuff in the 6k range comes up for sale all the time, and 09 is already 5 years old...but you may have to look at slightly older machines to keep the price in that range. Speaking generally (not about ZX6's which I know nothing specifically about), moderate suspension mods = $2000, pipe and map = $1000, plastic = $500 net of sale of stock parts, paint = $100 to $800 depending. Reasonably, divide that total in half as an estimate of what a reseller can hope to get back, and that is about $2000 in mods on top of the value of the bike. If it has rearsets, quickshifter etc. that stuff is worth paying for as well, but again at no more that 50% of cost new.

Sorry, I don't know about a good online market for such things. The old cherrypicker racing site was excellent, but is defunct. Some stuff comes up on kijiji but searching for it is hard. Word of mouth may be the best. People sometimes post track bikes for sale here on GTAM.

. If you have to run race fuel you'll add another $130 to your day at the track too.
I spent $25 for 8 sessions at the track yesterday in gas! 93 for the win

Op you are getting some solid advice in here - Take it or welcome to the poor house, make yourself at home, there are many of us lodging in there :)

I spent $25 for 8 sessions at the track yesterday in gas! 93 for the win

Op you are getting some solid advice in here - Take it or welcome to the poor house, make yourself at home, there are many of us lodging in there :)

I might try some 93 this weekend. Lol

Not using U4.4 has made me less poor and saved a few brain cells on fill ups. I do miss the smell though.

Never seen race gas.. should be interesting.. don't see myself using anything other than pump gas... All I need is a bike and a trailer.. saw a foldable one.. for $500...

Never seen race gas.. should be interesting.. don't see myself using anything other than pump gas... All I need is a bike and a trailer.. saw a foldable one.. for $500...
If you are looking for a Build engine means that you are planning to go somewhat fast, so for that you need tire warmer and a generator as a minimun. I would recommend you to come to SOAR this weekend and get a sense of what people are using. I think very fast you will realize that getting a stock engine and an ok setup track bike is the way to go... for now

It smells like a supermodel fresh out of the shower.
These supermodels you think you dated must have been crack head hookers with a smelling gas addiction :)

These supermodels you think you dated must have been crack head hookers with a smelling gas addiction :)
Lmao... in all honesty i don't want an engine that's been tweaked. . I am looking for suspension and Q's. .and exhaust.. no special internals... I guess a superficial build... not looking for some thing that's been re-bored.. or has special valves or anything....that extreme... The BUILD I am looking for would be outside the engine block... not inside...

i saw some EX- soar guys put stock motors with a decent pipe.. Qs, fuel management, aftermarket internals(forks), tweaked rear suspension .. i don't need race fuel devouring monster...

Last edited:
With your budget your looking for an auction bike that's been brought back to life as a track bike.

where can i find those..??

Find someone that has access and can bid on auctioned bikes.

You are looking for particular item that it currently very popular as a track/race bike, so bear in mind everyone else out there is looking for a similar platform.

Does it have to be an 09+zx6? If so you might be looking for that bike in your price range for a loooong time.

what I gather from this thread is your looking for an ex ama bike / SOAR bike (how do the two compare lol) for your first track bike.
buy an old sv650 ride the **** outta it. there is a few of guys that can spank any 1000 cc on an sv. its a very good starter track bike and there cheap

Back
Top Bottom