From Sportbike to Cruiser | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

From Sportbike to Cruiser

The ctx700N was much sexier, I would have taken it, if the aftermarket windscreen's didn't mount on the handlebars and they looked good.(I know aesthetics aren't everything). But it looked fricken ugly and had a space between bottom of windscreen and bike.
I guess I'm partial to bikes with fairing.

Thanks DECIMIS. Some people can't handle the openness and honestly.
I am enjoying the bike, even with the faults it has. Just got the suspension adjusted today, not a huge difference, but enough to matter.

I have put 200km's on it now and i've had it 6 days. It took me 2 weeks before I got my cbr to 240kms.

I can't wait to get my windscreen(the one on it is a joke, more like a windlip), my corbin seat and still waiting on the last part so I can put on the luggage rack, then the beem box.

Will be nice once i can get my spouse on the bike for a 2UP, I really think he would enjoy the ride.

Is that 200km total on the new bike? I'd suggest waiting a while before taking a passenger, you're still very green. Safer that way.

Cool. Sadly, if there was more of an upright seating option for a sports bike, I would have got one. But they are almost all the more leaned over sporty style and it's just not in my physical best interest.
The closest i got was the NC700X, but it was just too high for me to use comfortably.
Ninja 650 or 1000 would have been a good choice also.

Is that 200km total on the new bike? I'd suggest waiting a while before taking a passenger, you're still very green. Safer that way.

Yeah, 200km on the new bike. I had 240km on old bike.
It really wasn't hard to slot into this bike from the old one. Slight adjustments on how you turn, throttle etc.

I probably won't have my partner 2UP till next year. Can't even consider it till middle of this month when I have my m2.

Shane

i tried it at a dealer, still wasn't what i wanted. Still too much pressure on my hands. Could also be the footpeg position that it puts your body in.

I'm not sure how much pick up and speed you need but I am completely comfortable on the CBR20RA on the freeways. I will also add that I got used to the fairly upright riding position quickly, but I did have to consciously force myself to take the weight in my core and legs. Not natural, at first. 2 up? No thanks. Enjoy the new bike!

Had 250 for 3 months. Didn't get to ride it for 2 months.
Only put 240km on it before i sold it.
I took an RTI course before i even got on the bike.
Rode the bike a total of 2 weeks before i sold it.

I knew it didn't have the pickup and speed i wanted for highway and didn't like the seating position.
I also wanted a bike i could 2UP with my spouse on comfortably.

So we sold the 250 and got the ctx700

Shane

i tried it at a dealer, still wasn't what i wanted. Still too much pressure on my hands. Could also be the footpeg position that it puts your body in.
I know that feeling... When your wrists have to much pressure being applied to them.... For me it helps if you "fan" out your elbows rather than tuck them in but not very comfortable in the long run

I'm not sure how much pick up and speed you need but I am completely comfortable on the CBR20RA on the freeways. I will also add that I got used to the fairly upright riding position quickly, but I did have to consciously force myself to take the weight in my core and legs. Not natural, at first. 2 up? No thanks. Enjoy the new bike!

Yeah, i wanted to take my spouse out on the bike with me sometimes. I want him to enjoy things with me. So had to upgrade, maybe in the future i'll get a sport bike for myself, or save up and get a harley.

Shane

Voice of experience: Don't try 2-up until you are confident you could pass the M1 exit tests with a passenger.
In a slow parking lot manoeuvre with my daughter on the back of my 1100 Virago, we toppled over when she shifted her weight to the inside of the turn.
I thought I was being safe by turning dead slow, not understanding the dynamics of the machine
Nothing hurt except for a bit of pride and confidence. With more experience I would have performed the turn with a bit more speed so that I am not relying
solely on my ability to balance the bike, but rather the centrifugal force of the turn keeping the bike up.

Last edited:
We'll I'll take my partner out at some point. Already have my m2 paperwork. Waiting to hand it in. Me and my Spouse ride a tandem bicycle in the summer. I'll take it easy when we start to 2up. I ride like it's my life on the line, when he's with me it's both of our lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shane i am thinking my next bike will be a CBR250 or posablly the CBR500 did you find there was enough power to ride 2up on the 250 or did you give it a try?

Shane i am thinking my next bike will be a CBR250 or posablly the CBR500 did you find there was enough power to ride 2up on the 250 or did you give it a try?

I didn't try 2UP on the 250. The position doesn't look comfortable for a passenger. I didn't find the 250 had enough power for my liking.
Something about having to go to 3rd gear to get up to 80-90km that i didn't like.

My CTX700 does 80-90 in second gear. Also it's better for 2up in position.

I'm not heavy either, i'm 200lbs and 5'7". Just wasn't for me. I don't think i'd reccomend a 250 for 2UP, or honestly a sports bike for it.
But then i've never ridden as passenger on a sportsbike before, nor would i want to. Based on the body position as a rider.

If your gonna move up, go to a 600/650. No sense going to a 500. If i could get another bike with this one, it would be a 600/650(Whatever). No reason to go past that for sportsbike.

Shane

Shane,

Congrats on the bike. If you have ever double rided on a bicycle, it's the same as a motorcycle. Meaning, it's completely different riding a bicycle by yourself than it is when you have someone else on the seat behind you.

Everything is different. Get good and confident with yourself before trying 2 up. And you shouldn't have a problem.

Balance coming to a stop and some other inputs take practice and time.

Enjoy!!!

Shane,

Congrats on the bike. If you have ever double rided on a bicycle, it's the same as a motorcycle. Meaning, it's completely different riding a bicycle by yourself than it is when you have someone else on the seat behind you.

Everything is different. Get good and confident with yourself before trying 2 up. And you shouldn't have a problem.

Balance coming to a stop and some other inputs take practice and time.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks nakkers. Yeah, as i said we've ridden the tandem together and do just fine on that. it was strange at first. So I think 2up on the bike will be ok.
We will start in the backstreets first, just like when i first started on my 250 bike. Until we are confident we can hit the roads, then do that on slow days, sundays, early morning etc.

Shane

The 250 is what i have my eye on, the 125 im riding is ok for getting to & from work but it is lacking in everything So im looking to move up. I sat on the 500 feels big & heavy(i am a small guy & new ish rider) compared to what im on & the 250. I am not looking to to 2up for long distance just to get a kid from A to B if needed or wife out for a quick ride. For the most part the bike would be used mostly to get to and from work & the odd weekend ride I also need to get going on the HWY to get use to it, the 250 will do that my 125 will not.

The 250 is going for a great deal, I felt comfortable on it & my wife likes its not to much bigger.We shall see.

The 250 is what i have my eye on, the 125 im riding is ok for getting to & from work but it is lacking in everything So im looking to move up. I sat on the 500 feels big & heavy(i am a small guy & new ish rider) compared to what im on & the 250. I am not looking to to 2up for long distance just to get a kid from A to B if needed or wife out for a quick ride. For the most part the bike would be used mostly to get to and from work & the odd weekend ride I also need to get going on the HWY to get use to it, the 250 will do that my 125 will not.

The 250 is going for a great deal, I felt comfortable on it & my wife likes its not to much bigger.We shall see.

Other problem with 250 is the low weight limit. We easily went over it, me being 200lbs and him being 150.

Shane

Back
Top Bottom