From Sportbike to Cruiser | GTAMotorcycle.com

From Sportbike to Cruiser

Shane.Nicholson

Site Supporter
More of a difference then i thought.

The bike is heavier then my old 250, it doesn't have the same stopping power as the 250, doesn't stop on a dime like the 250(you kinda slow down, then stop, even if you grab and handful of brake).

It's also won't take a turn as tight as my 250 did.

It's definitely bigger, faster and different.

I do enjoy riding the bike for sure, though the seat needs to be changed to something more comfortable and maybe floorboards.

I went from a CBR250RA to a CTX700T model.

There is definitely a world of difference in so many things, I changed bikes because i wanted a more upright position and something i can take my spouse on later for more comfortable rides.

For anyone considering a change like this, go for it.

I also enjoy having more speed, more throttle and the ability to hit 90km in 2nd gear, instead of having to go to 3rd to do so.

Maybe in the future i'll see about a sportbike again, there was a nice CB1000 of some sort at the dealer that was nice to sit on and had good position. It was black and gold. But we had already decided on the CTX700T, so it was kinda late.

Shane

Calling a 250 in Canada is a stretch .

It's a lowered NC700. It's pretty much a sport touring bike that has been made to look like a cruiser but not all the way. Some sort of a hybrid. I don't see these things selling well with their confused market approach but I'm sure they are good bikes. Fuel economy should be great despite the heavy weight.

Congrats on the new bike!

Last edited:
It's a lowered NC700. It's pretty much a sport touring bike that has been made to look like a cruiser but not all the way. Some sort of a hybrid. I don't see these things selling well with their confused market approach but I'm sure they are good bikes. Fuel economy should be great despite the heavy weight.

Congrats on the new bike!

Almost every dealer i called was out of them, there was 1 left in canada that was not put together and in a dealer.

So I'd say they sold pretty well:)

We found one of the last ones, there was one other, but the dealer didn't put it together very well and even though the price was good(It was sold to clear) we didn't like it.

I still refuse to think of it as a touring bike. Just a sport-cruiser:)

Either way, I do like it. Almost went with the N model, except it was fugly and the aftermarket windshields go on the bars and look seriously retarded.

I'd hate to argue but the reason they weren't readily available is likely due to the fact that dealerships didn't order too many. Don't get me wrong - I am also not putting hybrids down. Innovation and experimentation is healthy. Nevertheless, motorcycles without a clearly defined niche have sold poorly historically.

Bottom line - you like it.

As for trying to categorize it - it looks more like a cruiser, mechanically it's more of a sport tourer. Howerver, you can call it whatever you wish, your privilege as the owner.

touring.JPG

Yes i saw this. Problem is, the only difference between this one and the "N model - Which is a cruiser". Is the fairing and slightly different centre of gravity. So I don't see how that makes it a touring bike.
It has none of the features of a touring bike at all.

So to me, it's a cruiser:)

I'd hate to argue but the reason they weren't readily available is likely due to the fact that dealerships didn't order too many. Don't get me wrong - I am also not putting hybrids down. Innovation and experimentation is healthy. Nevertheless, motorcycles without a clearly defined niche have sold poorly historically.

Bottom line - you like it.

As for trying to categorize it - it looks more like a cruiser, mechanically it's more of a sport tourer. Howerver, you can call it whatever you wish, your privilege as the owner.

Cool. Sadly, if there was more of an upright seating option for a sports bike, I would have got one. But they are almost all the more leaned over sporty style and it's just not in my physical best interest.
The closest i got was the NC700X, but it was just too high for me to use comfortably.

Cool. Sadly, if there was more of an upright seating option for a sports bike, I would have got one. But they are almost all the more leaned over sporty style and it's just not in my physical best interest.
The closest i got was the NC700X, but it was just too high for me to use comfortably.

For me, that's why I went with the CBR650F -- I wanted sports bike without the full-on fetal position of a supersport. In the end though, different strokes for different folks, as I had a CBR250RA for 3 years and always wanted a slightly more aggressive seating position, which the CBR650F and VFR800 has.

Last edited:
For me, that's why I went with the CBR650F -- I wanted sports bike without the full-on fetal position of a supersport. In the end though, different strokes for different folks, as I had a CBR250RA for 3 years and always wanted a slightly more aggressive seating position, which the CBR650F and VFR800 has.

Sadly the more aggressive position wasn't for me, it put too much stress on my hands to deal with. That's why i want something more upright.

Sadly the more aggressive position wasn't for me, it put too much stress on my hands to deal with. That's why i want something more upright.

You squeezing the tank with your legs? using your core to stabilize you?
With the bikes listed, unless it's an SS, shouldn't have THAT much pressure on the hands.

I was squeezing tank etc. it's the forward lean that was putting pressure on my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the new bike. But, you just got your 250 and didn't even own it for a month. How may km did you put on it? Did you take any riding lessons?

I'm just jealous I can't buy a new bike each month!

Congrats on the new bike. But, you just got your 250 and didn't even own it for a month. How may km did you put on it? Did you take any riding lessons?

I'm just jealous I can't buy a new bike each month!

Had 250 for 3 months. Didn't get to ride it for 2 months.
Only put 240km on it before i sold it.
I took an RTI course before i even got on the bike.
Rode the bike a total of 2 weeks before i sold it.

I knew it didn't have the pickup and speed i wanted for highway and didn't like the seating position.
I also wanted a bike i could 2UP with my spouse on comfortably.

So we sold the 250 and got the ctx700

Shane

Had 250 for 3 months. Didn't get to ride it for 2 months.
Only put 240km on it before i sold it.
I took an RTI course before i even got on the bike.
Rode the bike a total of 2 weeks before i sold it.

I knew it didn't have the pickup and speed i wanted for highway and didn't like the seating position.
I also wanted a bike i could 2UP with my spouse on comfortably.

So we sold the 250 and got the ctx700

Shane

Fair enough! I wouldn't want a passenger on a 250 (or any sport bike really) so I'm sure the CTX700 must be better in this regard. I do like the looks of the CTX700 (non-fairing model) - keep us updated on how you like the bike/its performance.

I'll give you one thing Shane, I do respect your openness and honesty!

Fair enough! I wouldn't want a passenger on a 250 (or any sport bike really) so I'm sure the CTX700 must be better in this regard. I do like the looks of the CTX700 (non-fairing model) - keep us updated on how you like the bike/its performance.

I'll give you one thing Shane, I do respect your openness and honesty!

Thanks DECIMIS. Some people can't handle the openness and honestly.
I am enjoying the bike, even with the faults it has. Just got the suspension adjusted today, not a huge difference, but enough to matter.

I have put 200km's on it now and i've had it 6 days. It took me 2 weeks before I got my cbr to 240kms.

I can't wait to get my windscreen(the one on it is a joke, more like a windlip), my corbin seat and still waiting on the last part so I can put on the luggage rack, then the beem box.

Will be nice once i can get my spouse on the bike for a 2UP, I really think he would enjoy the ride.

Back
Top Bottom