Adding Fuel Light/low fuel sensor | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adding Fuel Light/low fuel sensor

tylerwaugh

I have a first Gen ex 500 and want to add something that let's me know Im low on fuel, a light or anything that works. Doesn't have to be a full out Guage.

Switching the petcock to the reserve tank will let you know you're running low.

Switching the petcock to the reserve tank will let you know you're running low.

It's a race bike and during a race I don't want to search around for the petcock because I'm paying attention to what's infont of me. Unless there would be a way to convert the petcock to one of the switchrs that is on the handlebar, that would work for me.

Maybe if you're technically inclined, investigate adapting an MPGuino to your bike. Don't know the EX500 at all but if it works, the unit could act as a low fuel indicator. Bit complex mind you.

Last edited:
how long a race is it that you chance running out of fuel? I always top up to the level I'm going to use before each session. Why add more crap and distractions?

Once you get used to where the petcock is on the bike, you will naturally reach down and turn it as soon as the bike sputters without even looking for it. All of my carbed sportbikes worked that way for years and years, and while a little unsophisticated, it is a very reliable way of letting the rider know he has 5 or 10 laps left in the tank. I wouldn't sweat it at all.
I would sooner spend my efforts looking for CBR 600 F2/F3 wheels and suspension to graft onto the EX...better handling and better tires available.

Last edited:
Head over to ex-500.com. There is an "At the Track" section that maybe helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Race bike = no speedometer = no tripmeter ...

Take a simple digital clock and put it someplace that you can see it, and go by time.

Tyler you will have to stop for a sammich before that thing needs fuel. Scott is right we have BIGGER things to address on that before you get a race on it. Start looking for Honda 600 front end (preferably a F3,F4,Early RR) a 86 or 87 ZX6 Swing arm and either a F2 or F3 rear wheel with sprocket carrier and brakes including caliper and stay. The stator needs to be addressed if it hasnt been old one if still in there needs to GO . Also need a Factory Pro shift kit (heavy detent spring) because it WILL jump out of second on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom