First time going to buffalo, need advice. | GTAMotorcycle.com

First time going to buffalo, need advice.

gixxer_flexx

I'm planning on driving to buffalo Monday or Tuesday just for the day with the girlfriend. I've never made the trip before so I was wondering if anyone can chime in with some advice.

I've read there is more than one bridge to cross over?
Are there any bike stores worth visiting near by? We plan on just going to malls and walden galleria.
Any places I should definitely visit?

Any advice helps, I've just been googling to be better prepared

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valid passports
Don't lie to guards, be honest and they'll prob just wave you though.
Military Rd outlets are good.
We usually cross at Lewiston, a restaurant in Lewiston called "The Silo" on the river is pretty good. Get a "haystack".

Make sure you have a physical address in-case you get the guard I got dont just say your goin to find a bike shop or like me it might not be your lucky day

i live in niagara falls, if going to buffalo, just take the qew right to the peace bridge in fort erie. less travelled and easiest to get there. If you want a nice parkway ride by the water, would suggest getting off in the falls, and taking the niagara parkway right to forterie peace bridge. galleria is only a few mins from the bridge

i live in niagara falls, if going to buffalo, just take the qew right to the peace bridge in fort erie. less travelled and easiest to get there. If you want a nice parkway ride by the water, would suggest getting off in the falls, and taking the niagara parkway right to forterie peace bridge. galleria is only a few mins from the bridge
+1 for peace bridge

Does the border close at some point or is it 24 hours?

Does the border close at some point or is it 24 hours?

24 hours, no issues there. The Military Rd outlets are right across the border from the Queenston/Lewiston bridge. As has been said, don't lie to the border guards, chances are they'll just waive you through if you're honest.

Walden Galleria is no different than any mall we have here, I consider it a waste of time. Military Rd outlets are hit and miss, occasionally you'll find a good deal, more often it's same pricing that you could get here if not more. People just figure that they must be getting a good deal since it's a US outlet and they've heard countless stories from their friends about the amazing bargains they picked up.

If you have a bit of time to kill, I really like Elmwood Village in Buffalo. Everytime I have found myself passing through Buffalo this year, I've stopped at Spot Coffee to unwind for a bit.

Going: Passport and medical insurance, just in case. They always ask a trick question or two and you will feel like you're being grilled. Just have a specific destination and all is good.

Coming back: Same I.D. is fast. Know you shopping limits and don't lie. The border guards have sold their souls to the devil in exchange for X-ray vision.

Either way: Empty bladder and enough gas just in case there is a wait. It took an hour one Sunday PM, coming back.

Keep receipts.
Answer boarder guard questions in as few words as possible.
Don't give them reason to suspect anything, nor reason to ask further questions.

I drop all 4 heavily tinted windows down, music off, glasses off as well.
I used to not get called in for duties/taxes, but my last few crossing with a full car of usa-only shipping products have landed me swiping my CC for taxes.

There's nothing worth going to Buffalo for since they closed the Continental Club.

You guys are the first people I have ever seen reccomend the peace bridge OR lewiston. Both are HORRIBLE from what I have found on my dozens of crossings per season. Lewiston seems to always have a huge wait, peace bridge officers always gave me problems (not even trying to hide anything).

Up to you in the end but once you cross a few times you will end up picking a favourite. For me, it is the rainbow bridge. Even if there is a wait, at least you get a good view of the falls. Use this website to get crossing wait times http://www.niagarafallsbridges.com/

The Rainbow (NF) bridge has generally the shortest wait times. Mondays after a long weekend can extend wait times. If you're into vintage bikes, you might try Northeast Vintage Cycle (old school Hondas - if you make it there I want to know if it's any good), the DQ/Orange Julius on Military Road is excellent. Tell the border guard the truth on both sides - day trip / Walden Galleria. Keep receipts as mentioned, keep it under $100 / person and they most likely won't hassle you for duty - I cross at least once a month and have never had an issue. Keep track of your route and when you crossed into the US, they will definitely ask.

Parts of NF-NY and Buffalo are pretty sketchy - Downtown Detroit sketchy. Stay to main routes, plan before you leave.

Make at least $10 USD in change, $5 coins for tolls etc, $3.50 to cross back over into Canada.

You guys are the first people I have ever seen reccomend the peace bridge OR lewiston. Both are HORRIBLE from what I have found on my dozens of crossings per season. Lewiston seems to always have a huge wait, peace bridge officers always gave me problems (not even trying to hide anything).

Up to you in the end but once you cross a few times you will end up picking a favourite. For me, it is the rainbow bridge. Even if there is a wait, at least you get a good view of the falls. Use this website to get crossing wait times http://www.niagarafallsbridges.com/

thanks for the link. i think i will stick to rainbow bridge.
The Rainbow (NF) bridge has generally the shortest wait times. Mondays after a long weekend can extend wait times. If you're into vintage bikes, you might try Northeast Vintage Cycle (old school Hondas - if you make it there I want to know if it's any good), the DQ/Orange Julius on Military Road is excellent. Tell the border guard the truth on both sides - day trip / Walden Galleria. Keep receipts as mentioned, keep it under $100 / person and they most likely won't hassle you for duty - I cross at least once a month and have never had an issue. Keep track of your route and when you crossed into the US, they will definitely ask.

Parts of NF-NY and Buffalo are pretty sketchy - Downtown Detroit sketchy. Stay to main routes, plan before you leave.

Make at least $10 USD in change, $5 coins for tolls etc, $3.50 to cross back over into Canada.

Awesome advice thank you. legally though for under 24 hours you have to pay taxes on everything correct? i plan on purchasing a few things if the price is right but im just going for more for the girlfriend than for myself lol.

The days of awesome deals in Buffalo are long gone. Walden Galleria is overpriced, Military Rd had outlet malls but no crazy deals.

Best part of going to Buffalo is sending stuff down there and picking it up in one trip. With free US shipping a lot of stores have, You can save a lot of coin.

+1 for rainbow bridge also, very easy to cross at and yes do not lie to CBSA or CBP and you will be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The days of awesome deals in Buffalo are long gone. Walden Galleria is overpriced, Military Rd had outlet malls but no crazy deals.

Best part of going to Buffalo is sending stuff down there and picking it up in one trip. With free US shipping a lot of stores have, You can save a lot of coin.

^^^ Exactly. The outlet malls is a better bet, Walden Galleria has higher end product.

+1 for rainbow bridge also, very easy to cross at and yes do not lie to CBSA or CBP and you will be just fine.

They never hassle me for less than $100 / person, just be honest. Buy Something - no booze or smokes - unless you want every nook and cranny probed on the return trip through the Canadian side.

My experience is rainbow, pay taxes EVERYTIME, Lewiston and peace, have not paid taxes YET.

I not saying I never will, but every time I've used rainbow I've had to pull over and pay taxes. So the last three times I've crossed to pick up packages I've been totally honest and haven't paid anything yet.

This might help you http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/bwt-taf/menu-eng.html it's the border wait time guide.

As for paying taxes, it's a crapshoot. Had experiences for a single day across the border where we've been called in for $50 of purchased goods and let off with $300 (wife's birthday, border guard wished her happy birthday and waved us through). That was this end of Lake Ontario though but experiences should be the same. Keep groceries receipts separate if you buy any, they usually don't charge you on any of those if you buy some. Cheese and milk and meat are usually excellent deals. As others have said, be honest with the guard and have your receipts handy if asked for. If you do get called in to pay taxes just remember that there probably will be another time when you won't.

Back
Top Bottom