Thinking about downsizing....anyone done it? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking about downsizing....anyone done it?

Exactly. Who would spend that when for 10 you can have a 600 ss. If it was less and available here I'd have a 390 though. Very nice bike but as usual we get the shaft

Some people don't want to pay the crazy insurance for a 600.

Sorry but torque rules on the street and a 300 aint got chit. I havent ridden anything smaller than a 1000 for decades for a reason. Come with me on the highway or any trip out of the city on a 300 with strong winds and rain and will talk..

BB

I don't think a 1000cc sport bike should even be made for the street (but that is an entire different arguement). I wouldn't be taking a 300 on country long tourers in the rain anyway or really even on hwys for riding, hwy riding is boring and no fun. I'd get a cruiser for that!

Exactly. Who would spend that when for 10 you can have a 600 ss. If it was less and available here I'd have a 390 though. Very nice bike but as usual we get the shaft

We get the shaft on small bikes because we expect small bikes to be cheaper, and KTM knows the numbers would be too small to bother.

I've never ridden a Duke 390, but I'm not all that impressed with 600ss bikes.

When you factor in 5 years of ownership, these smaller bikes can save you thousands, and the last place I want to flush my money is on the Ontario insurance scam.

Europe gets this...the 390 racing cup bike for 8,500 euros...ooooer...it's like breasts, you can't stare too long.

2014-ktm-rc390-race-bike-unveil-12.jpg

Wasn't KTM suppose to bring the RC390 to Canada? There's a perfect bike for wanna be racers who don't want to demolish the speed limit :)

Have you done a ride out of the GTA? How about to PA? The roads there are amazing. Worth keeping your bike just to do that once a year. Only think was the ride down there and back on a naked bike was tiring, but worth it for sure. Keep an eye in the touring section. If you only ride GTA ( mall to mall, timmies to timmies, etc) then the Ninja 300 will be good enough. Make sure you get the green one with Monster stickers. ;-)

I find it that when I was on the Ninja 250, I tried to ride much more technical otherwise I'd be too slow. Now on the FZ6, who cares about riding technical lol just use the throttle. And FZ6 is so much harder to approach to its limits, whereas I could use all of the tire on the Ninja 250 through the twisties without hesitation. After a whole Cali trip and 1942817 corners, I still have chicken strips on the FZ6 :(

So, if you gave me a 250/300 over FZ6 to go to PA, I think I'd take it.

I think I am sold on this 300ninja idea. I would much rather be shifting and high revving the bike around the countryside / twists then going mach 8 in a straight line (although that is fun). When I want to go that fast i'll rent a track bike and do a track day, you can't lose your license that way.

Moarmoto, how is the 300 for hwy and 2up? is it still joyful or is it squirrly and slow? Also, when does the bike slow down in acceleration? the 130 mark?

The 300 is an awesome bike until you hit the highway, the windscreen just directs the wind at your chest (6'1 rider) and anything above 120 you have about the same power as a 4cyl car. If you open up the throttle it will still easily climb to 160/170 but it will take it some time. Also the bike will be in the top of the rev range on the highway so anywhere from 8-12k is normal depending on speed, which will be a very vibey ride (if your hands/feet cant take the vibration you'll be uncomfortable).

Anything other than the highway (straight lines at high speed) and vibration this bike is amazing. 1st gear is only good for about 25-30km so you'll be in 2nd before you've left an intersection but it's always fun to bang through the gears :D. It's unreal in the twisties and great on gas. Nice city bike, just not great for long highway commutes or if your really into SS type acceleration.

It's ok for 2-up, passengers will be just about as comfy as other similar bikes, the 300 doesn't seem to notice the extra weight, until again the highway, for 2-up just don't go there haha, the 300 isn't really in the highway 2-up touring category. This is just my 0.2 though.

Last edited:
but they won't sell it here because it was deemed too expensive for the market.

They won't sell it here because KTM is bunch of morons with no street riding machines marketing strategy for North America. They only care about off-road units in this part of the world, that's it.

Wasn't KTM suppose to bring the RC390 to Canada? There's a perfect bike for wanna be racers who don't want to demolish the speed limit :)

US is getting it, means Canada will get it too. When you will actually see units purchasable on the floor? Who the heck knows. Typical KTM .... I assume they will get like 5 units here the first year and ask for premium ... LOL

Put this through a machismo poseur filter and nothing comes out.

I LOLed.

I guess you can make a case for either scenario. Personally I had a blast taking the Learning Curves class on those itty-bitty CBR125's. I've never been on a liter bike so I can't compare, but throwing a sub-300lb bike around is a million tons of fun.

Sorry but torque rules on the street and a 300 aint got chit. I havent ridden anything smaller than a 1000 for decades for a reason. Come with me on the highway or any trip out of the city on a 300 with strong winds and rain and will talk..

BB

Bingo, some folks just don't get it.....................Elwood stated this before got a vacation and one way ticket out of Dodge city :D

Well, maybe you should try a small bike not from the 1900s.

Forgive them lord for they do not know what they are doing..... a 250 on the highway lol , the first windgust or 16 wheeler will give you whiplash.

Luke

Last edited:
. a 250 on the highway lol , the first windgust or 16 wheeler will give you whiplash.

Luke

What happened to the other 2 wheels.....Or is this some kind of new smaller Eco Transport truck you speak of....lol

Riding a big bike slow is better than riding a small bike fast. A lot of people don't know that. Imagine going down pit road at Daytona on a full on 1025cc KZ1000J Eddie Lawson superbike just straining at the leash one twitch of the right hand all hell breaks loose or on a CBR250 beating it's wheezy little heart out looking to lay down in the shade. Both doing it at the same speed. So sad. Maybe a little bit cute for the Honda but mostly just sad.

Disagree.

I love using the entire powerband on any motorcycle, on my current SS...well, owners of SSs know what that means =)

I took my gf's 250 the other day and had a blast. I could beat the **** out of that thing; didn't have to worry about tank slappers or micro wheelies! Most importantly, I didn't have to worry about getting a huge ticket.

What happened to the other 2 wheels.....Or is this some kind of new smaller Eco Transport truck you speak of....lol

It can vary with how many axles you have and/or if you are running any super singles.

Elw errr Harvey

Last edited:
油井緋色;2194160 said:
Disagree.

I love using the entire powerband on any motorcycle, on my current SS...well, owners of SSs know what that means =)

I took my gf's 250 the other day and had a blast. I could beat the **** out of that thing; didn't have to worry about tank slappers or micro wheelies! Most importantly, I didn't have to worry about getting a huge ticket.

Tank slappers are rare, what are you going to do in an emergency if your power is maxed out.

Last edited:
油井緋色;2194160 said:
Disagree.

I agree with you. I just wrote that as a preemptive strike to the tired old cliche of slow bike ridden fast is better than other way around. I think both scenerios have merit depending on the mood that day. Some days I can ride my 1203cc pushrod torquer and never it 4500rpm or 120km/hr. Still feels like I'm riding a brute and that feels good. I like small bikes, I wish that in this market, it didn't automatically mean 2nd rate for lack of better term.

I have multiple bikes to pick from in the garage. The cbr125 is ridden more than the others put together.

In fact, I've used it so much that I now have a day of forced down time on that bike (brake pads are down to the metal).

Back
Top Bottom